PDA

View Full Version : new member awaiting @ Tri z

this old rz
05-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Hello everyone, This my 1st post here. Im close to 48 years old and Haven't had a 3 wheeler in over 25 years :rolleyes: My problem or blessing is that I have two good friends whom now have ATCs , One a 1986 250R with a big bore /stroked engine I think its a 370cc, the other has a 1986 TECATE which is undergoing a massive custom 1 off modification to I think 390cc again all custom stroked and spec built pipes. each of their bikes are being built by BDT in Rancho Cucamonga. I have the option to pick up a 85 Tri-Z ,it aint pretty and we are awaiting to see if it runs..the seller told my friend it does:crazy:So he bought it for $800.00 and dropped it off at BDT for a check up/tune up. Id prefer a 86 as I've read there ALOT faster..but Im on a budget..so this one will have to do if the motor checks out okay. Besides the 86 Tri Zs seem to be nowhere for sale, 85s are everywhere a dime a dozen.
My goal is to have a reliable clean runner, nowhere as extreme as my friends as Id like to also take her out into the deserts ,I live out by Palm Springs calif so My choices are limitless Glamis, Ocotillo wells and the open desert as well as Pismo with my friends..Im more of a desert guy..but the dunes I'm sure are fun too..I just don't dig crowds.
Id like to get a big bore...in the future, to at least keep sight of my friends claimed 60-70 h.p. rockets, that depends upon budget and availability until then If all goes as planned it will be a stock motor /pipe perhaps the "wrench report" modifications and start cleaning her up with new plastics its Black & Red..my least favorite of the 3 avail color combos. But again beggars cant be choosers. The red white is my 1st choice..then yellow. I think as far as cleaning up, painting and polishing..Im just going to buy most parts as xtras and trick them out and save them for reassembly so I don't have to take the TriZ down, Ill just do it all at one in the future. Im a sucker for "pretty machines" Id rather have shiny than $$$$ fast, mainly due to my budget as well I cant have both:p

If I take it apart it will end up like my 1985 RZ350/YZR conversion which Ive spent 10k on and it sits in my garage on a stand unfinished for the last decade still awaiting at least another 5k to be spent on it:Bounce:cry::(...Ive had a 3 RZ350s a Daytona Special and a 68 YG5t for my 2 strokes and a 89 FZR1000EXUP..So I suppose I'm a Yamaha guy..but id take any of them there all sweet! I'm doing the Tri- Z as we think it would be fun to show up with the 3 250cc 2 stroke ATCs from the 3 different manufactures of the 80s

Anyways hope to get on with all of you and will be asking a lot of tech and help questions.

R.J.M.
05-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the site and post some pics

JTHOMAS
06-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I too am a new member, 50 yrs old and owned and raced three wheelers since the 70,s. Just got my tri z's out of my brothers barn after 11yrs in storeage! I have a total of four z's.one of every color and year model. and spare parts I have picked up here and there. Good luck with the build.

elvetost
06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the group guys. :) Also a newbee here. :)

czac
06-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a total of four z's.one of every color and year model. and spare parts I have picked up here and there. Good luck with the build.

Well Thomas, let me be the first to say.....you suck!! lol...

Welcome to the show, post up some pics of those tri-Babies...id love to see em. Wish I could have found one around here before I got my 225 DXN but, I like the 225 so, its all good!
Oh yeah, its nice to see another couple of old timers here... Im 49, never raced but did grow up riding dirt bikes and whatever else I could find that had a motor!

czac
06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
welcome Old rz! hope it turns out to be a winner!!