PDA

View Full Version : 250sx 1985 Tips or things to check ?

Atc250sx85
05-28-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi im new to trikes and iv got a 250sx 85, and i would like to do a overall maintenance on it because mine in not in good shape, what should i check it first ? what are the issues on this bike ? things to be aware of ? expert tips, anything i should know, please it would be appreciate, (excuse me for all the misspell english in not my native language)

Thanks alot guys
Shawn

Flyingw
05-28-2014, 03:29 AM
First of all, change the oil and filter. These engines were engineered to run on standard SAE 10w-40 in the Summer and SAE 10w-30 in the Winter. There are many opinions on what oil to use but I've used SAE oil per the manual with no issues. Fill to slightly over full. Never never screw the dip stick in to check the oil level. Insert the dip stick in to the threads and pull back out.

Second, change the spark plug. NGK DR8ES

Third, drain and refill the differential oil. 80/90 Hypoid gear oil is needed. I use Valvoline on mine. When you drain the oil, inspect the oil for a milky appearance. The milky appearance is cause by water intrusion. While the cap is off, shine a light in the hole and inspect the gear teeth. The gear teeth should have nice square edges. Drain and refill to overflow. If you regularly swamp the trike, change the diff oil frequently.

Fourth, inspect the rubber boot between the engine and swingarm. If the boot is torn, order a replacement from Honda. That boot keeps water from getting down in the propeller shaft cavity which will lead to water intrusion in to the differential.

Inspect the inside of the fuel tank for rust and/or corrosion. If rust or corrosion is present, there are products readily available to clean the tanks out. Always keep the tank full of fuel to prevent the formation of rust. Inspect the inside of the fuel cap for rust. It is vey common for the vent mechanism in the cap to rust closed preventing good fuel flow. If the cap is rusted, replace it. They are still available from Honda.

Remove your control cables and clean and lubricate them. check your tires for dry rot and weather cracking. Check your brakes for good operation.

If you want to rebuild your carb, here is a link to a tutorial I did on rebuilding the ES/SX carbs.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161746-ES-SX-350X-Carb-rebuild-Tutoral?p=1257154#post1257154

Here is a link to a free factory manual download
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

This is a link to a differential rebuild tutorial I did. It has pics of what the ring gear should look like when you get to inspecting your ring gear.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164483-ATC-250SX-and-250ES-Differential-Rebuild-Tutorial?p=1282554#post1282554

There are many of us here with extensive SX experience so don't be afraid to speak up. The SX is a great machine and if taken care of, will provide many years of three wheeling fun. Good luck.

These are the SXs I've built over the years.

Atc250sx85
05-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks alot men, gonna check those today and make a video about questions about my 250sx. btw your customize trikes are really awesome and your tutorials are masterpieces too. 194525194526194527194528

Flyingw
05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Ya I'd say your SX is in need of a little love. Keep us posted.

atcdude0
05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Check the swingarm bearings. When they go out, it doesn't take long for the races to get all screwed up so its good to make sure you know that they are in good shape

Atc250sx85
05-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Mine does amazing back fire ? its a sign of bad timming ? or timming chain is about to break ?