PDA

View Full Version : 85 Yamaha 225dx bolt on mods?

Speedmax1940
05-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Just bought an 85 and I want something to give better abilities in rough terrain but also some speed. Any ideas?

dougspcs
05-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Not to much..like many of the other utility or sport/utility trikes the after market never really got on board with performance mods.

The trikes that made the race track scene got most of that attention..

Most of what little there was dried up a long time ago.

350for350
05-31-2014, 11:16 PM
My 85 225dr was plenty capable in rough terrain. Just have some good tires on the back. I wouldn't go overboard with super nasty mud tires, but something like the ITP 489 would do good all around. Just my .02.

mercenarygod
06-20-2014, 10:17 PM
The only performance bolt on would be the DG RCM exhaust, https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/rcm-steel-complete-exhaust-system.p44582.prd/44582.sku and that will require a larger main jet and carb tuning. Handling you can always get some Durablue wheel spacers combined with the ITP steel wheels. Tires wise my research led me to Super Grip Super Light's and they kick butt, if you want to do some good mud action you can get the GBC Gators. But other than that you will be changing wheel size and bolt patterns. Not very many tire options in 22x11x8, get 6ply for sure!

DohcBikes
06-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Take weight off.

Timber wolf 250 engine is a pretty good bolt in mod if you ask me......

Swingarm will work too. Its longer. You'll need a different shock.

Or you could just take weight off......

czac
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
triz front end will pick the height up a bit, blaster rear hubs will fit your axle nicely and give you a 4x100 bolt pattern so rims will be easier to find. I believe the Yamaha tri z hubs are the same as the blaster rear hubs too. the trike has plenty of power and is great for trail riding and the triz front and blaster wheels will make it look sexier...
here's mine before I painted the wheels gold to match the front!

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Other/Yamaha-225-DXN/i-hvvpFGT/0/L/blaster%20wheels2-L.jpg

Trike_crazy
06-23-2014, 11:53 AM
I 2nd the 250 timberwolf engine. It works amazing and gives you reverse with the swap. The swingarm gives you 4x110 hubs. If you do a bit of searching through the parts fiche on a parts site like partzilla.com you'll find that the tt225 used the same cylinder and head as the dx which means the intake and carb should bolt to the head but you'll probably have to use a pod filter and make sure it still clears the frame. The tt225 carb is 32mm I believe compared to the dx which is 26 mm?
Here's my dx with the timberwolf engine and swingarm swap before it was completely finished.

adamszwheeler
06-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Some good info here. I have a 225 that I am riding til it blows. Was gonna part it out after but now I am going to looking into the swaps and using my extra z tree's, forks, hubs and rims. Probably make for a somewhat better ride having the thicker forks. These 225's aren't to bad as is. I have some good mud tires and just having a shock at all is soooo much better than my 200 hardtail!!

czac
06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Some good info here. I have a 225 that I am riding til it blows. Was gonna part it out after but now I am going to looking into the swaps and using my extra z tree's, forks, hubs and rims. Probably make for a somewhat better ride having the thicker forks. These 225's aren't to bad as is. I have some good mud tires and just having a shock at all is soooo much better than my 200 hardtail!!

swapping the front end was pretty easy and really makes a difference in the ride...and ride height. If you like doing wheelies you can leave the forks in the triples at the stock TRI-Z level if not, leave about 2 inches of fork sticking up through the top triple... lol also, either use a pair of handle bar riser adapters to raise your bars or you have to cut about 1/4" off the top of the steering stem if you want to use your stock gas cap vent tube... the stem sticks up too far through the top triple and is a hair away from hitting the handle bars so theres no way to stick your vent hose into the stem...lol somewhere on this site is a small write up I did explaining the switch out of the front ends and a diagram of a spacer youll need. im thinking if I put another spacer on top I could lower the stem a bit. but... I took the lazy way out and bought one of those cool aluminum breather vent caps you stick in a short hose and put on the gas cap... problem solved.

czac
06-24-2014, 08:48 AM
I 2nd the 250 timberwolf engine. It works amazing and gives you reverse with the swap. The swingarm gives you 4x110 hubs. If you do a bit of searching through the parts fiche on a parts site like partzilla.com you'll find that the tt225 used the same cylinder and head as the dx which means the intake and carb should bolt to the head but you'll probably have to use a pod filter and make sure it still clears the frame. The tt225 carb is 32mm I believe compared to the dx which is 26 mm?
Here's my dx with the timberwolf engine and swingarm swap before it was completely finished.

I am loving that timber wolf swing arm hack... what did you say it gave you? 11/2 - 2 inches more length?

Trike_crazy
06-25-2014, 08:03 AM
It ended up being right at 2 1/2 inches I believe. Next thing on my list is rebuilding the front forks or doing the tri-z front end swap like you did czac. I think it would compliment the longer swingarm. When im done about the only part of this thing that still will be dx is the frame and the plastic lol.

czac
06-25-2014, 08:18 AM
It ended up being right at 2 1/2 inches I believe. Next thing on my list is rebuilding the front forks or doing the tri-z front end swap like you did czac. I think it would compliment the longer swingarm. When im done about the only part of this thing that still will be dx is the frame and the plastic lol.

nice... lol
Id love to kick the rear out a bit more, make it longer and a little wider. do you feel much of a difference while riding? does it handle any better or worse?

what id really love to do is rake the front end out a little more...lol not so much like a chopper but just to pull the tire away from the trike a little more. but that would probably be a nightmare with getting everything perfectly in line when welding it up! between raking the front end and extending the swing arm it would be like a foot or so longer than stock... lol

King Trikester
06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Great info, I can't wait till my 225 blows up

Sum8silverado
06-10-2016, 02:50 PM
I would love to get any and all info on the Tri Z forks to the 225.

rsmitty1000
06-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Hi would this Tri Z forks mod work on the YTM 200?? As mine are bent a and its almost impossible to find the 200 forks in the UK.

Thanks

YamaBoss
06-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi would this Tri Z forks mod work on the YTM 200?? As mine are bent a and its almost impossible to find the 200 forks in the UK.

Thanks

Yes they also fit a 200

rsmitty1000
06-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Great thanks I will give it a go, Will I need any extra bits or anything??

YamaBoss
06-13-2016, 12:42 AM
You'll need a ytm 200 bottom bearing, the Tri z top bearing and some spacers to put between the Tri z lower triple and the bottom bearing. The stem on the Tri z forks is an inch or two too long so you have to put the spacer somewhere.

rsmitty1000
06-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks Into the parts boxes I go.

Trimoto225dx
05-11-2017, 08:01 PM
After 8 months I finally got her just about 100% done!

1985 Yamaha 225DX

Following Mods

1 - Timberwolf 250cc engine - Over hauled - Bored, head, clutch, cam, cam chain, cam bearing
2 - Timberwolf rear swing arm, drive shaft and U-joint - Rear axle has all new brakes, bearings and seals
3 - Tri Z 250 front fork- Rebuilt forks and disc brake
4 - Tri Z front tire and rim with new tire and new axles
5 - Tri Z front fender
6 - Tri Z rear shock rebuilt and custom lower shock tower fabricated
7 - Lots of other new parts such and battery, seat foam and cover and rear tires.
8 - Tri Z front headlight

It is pretty fun to ride! Suspension is pretty soft right now the rear shock works well but I think needs much better rebound and a stiffer spring but will trail ride it this summer to find out.

Trimoto225dx
05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
More pics to see for fun

Let me know if you like

Trimoto225dx
05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
When I built the rear shock tower I put it on stands and ran it so the knuckle would bind in full bottom out and then fully extended. Then made my mount...Didn't want the knuckle to bind in either situation and it seems to be perfect!

350for350
05-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Man. That thing looks great in all black.

Ghostv2
05-11-2017, 10:07 PM
When I built the rear shock tower I put it on stands and ran it so the knuckle would bind in full bottom out and then fully extended. Then made my mount...Didn't want the knuckle to bind in either situation and it seems to be perfect!

I wonder if changing the angle and making it perform in a way it wasn't exactly designed for makes it less efficient, if that matters much with these kinda shocks. Did you try cranking down the spring yet?

You can probably get modern 450 shocks cheap. Or just measure eye to eye and see what else can just bolt on so you don't have to adjust your mounts.

czac
05-12-2017, 09:17 AM
After 8 months I finally got her just about 100% done!

1985 Yamaha 225DX

Following Mods

1 - Timberwolf 250cc engine - Over hauled - Bored, head, clutch, cam, cam chain, cam bearing
2 - Timberwolf rear swing arm, drive shaft and U-joint - Rear axle has all new brakes, bearings and seals
3 - Tri Z 250 front fork- Rebuilt forks and disc brake
4 - Tri Z front tire and rim with new tire and new axles
5 - Tri Z front fender
6 - Tri Z rear shock rebuilt and custom lower shock tower fabricated
7 - Lots of other new parts such and battery, seat foam and cover and rear tires.
8 - Tri Z front headlight

It is pretty fun to ride! Suspension is pretty soft right now the rear shock works well but I think needs much better rebound and a stiffer spring but will trail ride it this summer to find out.

Looks great... good job!

Trimoto225dx
05-12-2017, 12:51 PM
The spring is cranked down all the way now...I have read that you could get stiffer springs for Tri Z back in the hay day...I will keep looking.

When I gas it because of the shaft drive it really humps up! Feels like my Honday V65! Thinking if I had a better rebound that would help. It makes it more difficult to wheelie than OEM shock...And I suppose the swing arm is longer changes that as well.

I was going to check if the timberwolf overall gearing is lower since it was a work machine vs sport. It seems like I don't get a lot of speed out if it...I have only road down the street and back. I am used to my Can am Renegade 800X which has real speed!!!

Ghostv2
05-12-2017, 12:59 PM
You can get some good power out of them being geared low with some hop ups (I use to hill climb mine that's all hopped up) but speed is not one thing you can get out of them. Other than changing tire sizes.

Trimoto225dx
05-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Thinking about rear wheels spacers...maybe 1" ea side. Because it is taller now it wants to tip a little easier since center of gravity was raised.

If I were to run it a lot where little suspension is needed could always lower the front forks and loosen the rear spring...Lower it down as much as possible.

It will be fun to ride and see how it all works over time.

I had a 84 brand new when I was 13...Loved everything about it but the horrible suspension and the crappy OEM tires.

At the time I could have purchased a 200x or a 225DX...They were side by side...Choose the 225DX because it had electric start and shaft drive...After getting the 225DX and started riding it harder realized the 200x may have been a better choice as my battery holder broke off so e start was done and bent the rear axle...Obviously not made for jumping.

A few of my buddies had the 225DX and we rode them hard always wanted them to have better suspension. Then saw some of this information on 3 wheeler world and all of a sudden I had a chance at this nice black one and a Timberwolf with locked up engine...Got them both for free from friends of mine...Pulled them out of the barns they had been in for many years and started this project!

I would say if you don't get the parts cheap you would be in in for a lot of $$...I am in to this one for approx $1,500 to $1,800 and I didn't pay a dime for either ATV.

Also if you do the Timberwolf rear swing arm with the 225 engine the boot won't fit. The TW boot fits the swing arm but not the 225 engine and reverse for the 225 boot. And if you mod the boot you will get the small U-joint from the 225 vs the larger one from the Timberwolf. Another advantage to the TW is the clutch is supposed to be and upgrade from the 225. Not to sure about that.

If you don't want to do any wiring you will need to put the 225 stator in the 250 engine...Along with the 225 flywheel in the 250. Everything works correctly then. The TW 250 stator is much different than the 225dx...Looks like the TW has three phase A/C and the DX does not...All I know are the CDI wires are the same with different plug but the TW has 3 charging wires to the regulator and the DX has two...one to reg and one directly to headlight switch.

Run down

- Front triples and forks $100 and $75 to get the fork tubes straightened
- Front fork oil and seals $30
- Front Brake Pads $15
- Front Fork Bearings $25
- Handle Bars $75
- Grips $7
- Engine work, Piston, Clutch, Cam Chain, Cam Bushing, Oil and gasket set and machine work for bore job and head job. $600
- Boot for U-Joint $75
- Seat Foam and Cover..$150 + $30 to have it stretched on
- Tires $200
- Sand blast rims $20
- Rim Paint $20
-Rear brakes and cable $25
- Jets for carb $10
- Air Cleaner $20
- Bulbs $15
- Battery $75
- Rear bearing kit $50

Obviously you can get by for less without the engine work..And I had to straighten the forks and get all new tires...All factors in the price.

Finale is to continue to polish the plastic as it is good structurally but and has a nice Matte finish now but would like it to shine again.

tjtim316
06-14-2019, 10:00 AM
curious if you know the year of blaster that will fit for the rear wheels and hubs, just aquired an 84 dxl and one of the first things i want to do is get rid of the 3 stud wheels, do to one being rusted, any help would be appreciated

czac
06-14-2019, 04:50 PM
curious if you know the year of blaster that will fit for the rear wheels and hubs, just aquired an 84 dxl and one of the first things i want to do is get rid of the 3 stud wheels, do to one being rusted, any help would be appreciated
I think any year will work as all the rear axles
Seem to be the same.