PDA

View Full Version : 1987 250SX Barn Find, and I need a little help

GSUwhiskers
06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post which took a while to figure out why I couldn't post in any other threads until I read the first post in this particular one. I recently found a 1987 ATC 250SX in a barn in rough but running condition, and I am working to bring it back after many years of neglect. I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, added an inline fuel filter, spark plug, and have the gear oil for the rear end but haven't done that yet. I also had the valves adjusted and tank repaired. Here's my BIGGEST problem, the reason I had the valves adjusted was because of a loud ticking noise, unfortunately I was told after the valves were adjusted the timing chain is my problem and is so bad I should be very careful running it at all. More than likely I will leave this type of job to a Honda mechanic, however when looking on Ebay I've seen several timing chains but they have varying names of ATC's attached to them not just 250SX. My question is has anyone bought a timing chain online? If so, where from and how much was it, and what kind of quality did you experience? Also, are these timing chains compatible with multiple Honda models? Another problem I heard about from the last owner is that the electric start apparently doesn't work, is this common? The kill switch only works if you push it to the right, and struggles to power down even then. It's also missing a headlight assembly and taillights. All of this of course will be worked on after I can get the machine working flawlessly.
I'm going to post some pictures of the project from start to as it sits now, I don't have the money right now to have that chain replaced but I will be doing it as soon as possible. Thanks for any help guys, I just stumbled on this three wheeler thing, but man its a blast.

GSUwhiskers
06-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Sorry, learning as I go with posting these pictures.

GSUwhiskers
06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Front Shot.

GSUwhiskers
06-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Side

GSUwhiskers
06-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Back

DohcBikes
06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Cool machine and welcome!! Sounds like you first need to go through and clean all your electrical connections. I dont know enough about the sx model to address your timing chain issue directly, but one thing you should have or get is a factory service manual. Its possible that the timing chain (aka- cam chain) is out of adjustment as well. Just so you know, overhead cam four strokes tick a little, that's the nature of valve lash. It sounds like yours may be excessive though. Some SX/ES motor gurus outta be by soon.

dougspcs
06-03-2014, 06:50 AM
You're right not to run it if the ticking is really bad..chain and guides are likely worn out and the auto-adjuster is at it's limit. Keep running it til the chain jumps and you'll do a lot of engine damage!

Head will need to come off as will the right side cover and clutches to get the chain and guides out and back in. A pretty big job, especially since the engine needs to come out. Won't be cheap at shop rates!!

Second the e-start problem sounds like the common corrosion in the switch..remove the switch assy from the left handle bar, disassemble and clean it. You may have to go further, but that is step one.

Good luck and report back your progress.

If you got a good deal on this you may do well to find another and use one as a donor! Likely work out cheaper for you in the long run.

GSUwhiskers
06-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check those connections as soon as I can. Unfortunately, my girlfriend's car crapped out this week and all my free time has been focused on that. I have a friend at the Honda dealership, and one of the mechanics there has told him he can temporarily fix my chain problem by welding a piece onto the tensioner. Of course this is a temporary fix, but they want around $300 labor and $200 parts, and I'm a college guy... I can't afford that. He's offering to do this plus replace the rubber boot on the drive shaft for around $100. I changed the drive oil and it looked like creamy coffee... so I know there has been water getting into my rear end through that dry rotted rubber boot. What do ya'll think? Apparently this mechanic has done this on several other vehicles, I am going to be talking to him in the next week, this has all been relayed through my friend.

Now onto a different issue, I ordered and received the right hand brake lever for my 250SX and I put the lever on, but there is no tension on the brake. What I'm saying is the brake will not engage no matter how tight you pull the handle. I know there is a wing nut on the brake line which I have yet to adjust. Do ya'll think that will fix the problem? Thanks so much guys!!!

dougspcs
06-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Let me know how that temp fix works out..I have a 86 TRX250 that is rough shape. Timing chain is rattling to beat hell..

No intention of doing the 'big fix'.

UPNATM
06-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Now onto a different issue, I ordered and received the right hand brake lever for my 250SX and I put the lever on, but there is no tension on the brake. What I'm saying is the brake will not engage no matter how tight you pull the handle. I know there is a wing nut on the brake line which I have yet to adjust. Do ya'll think that will fix the problem? Thanks so much guys!!!

You have two adjust points for that cable, one at the handle, (adjust nut and lock nut), and the other, (wing nut), down at the front hub. By adjusting both of them, (it may take some playing around with both adjusters some), you should be able to get your front brake dialed in.

GSUwhiskers
06-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Okay, hopefully I will get a chance to take a look at it on Sunday. I'm wondering if I have something missing because just from my memory I don't remember having an adjust point near my handle. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that though.

I will definitely be keeping you posted on how the temp. fix goes, I'll try to get the guy to send me pictures of it through the process.

GSUwhiskers
06-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Alright guys, I tinkered with both adjustment points and still can't get the hand brake lever to engage the break. Is there possibly something kinked inside the cable? The brake lever on the actual brake moves and is not stuck. I just don't know what could possibly be wrong between those two points. Any ideas or experience guys?

muthey
06-09-2014, 09:45 PM
sounds like brake shoes are wore out and they need to be replaced

dougspcs
06-09-2014, 10:06 PM
sounds like brake shoes are wore out and they need to be replaced

And/or the cable is stretched!

UPNATM
06-10-2014, 01:14 PM
And/or the cable is stretched!

I was thinking the same thing. Gsu, is it a new cable?

GSUwhiskers
06-10-2014, 09:39 PM
No it's the original cable, I don't know how to check those brake shoes? But honestly I don't think the brakes are bad because the cable is not engaging the lever on the brake. So how do you determine a stretched cable?