PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man TT

Mr. Clean
06-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Been watching this race and for me this best represents the freedom to choose what you want to do no matter the known risk!!! Race stared in 1907, and there have been numerous deaths, two this year!!!

It's crazy to see the air they get and how squirrely the bikes get. I have yet to see the side hacks, and having the chance to race with them on my 200x I can't wait to watch!!

jb2wheels
06-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Isle of Man is absolutely nuts to watch.

Runoff? What runoff? Who needs runoff?

Takes some serious stones to run that course at speed.

atc007
06-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Funny you posted this. I've been talking a Lot about this race with the "older fellas club" lately. I am currently awaiting a long lost video from the Honda 4 cylinder 2 cycle they ran there once :)

ironchop
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Im actually a motorcycle fanatic as an aside to the trikes. I attended the ARHMA races at Mid Ohio with a friend named Chuck.Skarsaune who went on to a few successful road racing seasons on a vintage Triumph. We got up and close for vintage mx, road course, and sidehacks.......WOW! I been hooked on vintage thru modern road racing, flat tracking, and side hackin.

Isle of Man is legendary. Thats a MAN's race right there. Probably the last one left.

El Camexican
06-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Speed costs and the Isle of Man does not accept credit. Greatest race EVER, thank God it’s not held on US soil, or they have shut it down long ago.

jays375
06-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Even a few of the greatest Isle Of Mann racers have met their fate there.It is purely insane to watch.Speaking of vintage hacks.Check out Sidecar 58 Billy Weston.Vintage racers don't crash,they fall off.lol

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2014, 01:11 AM
FABIO just told a few of us about this a year or so ago. These guys that race there have no fear......... They are incredible.

fabiodriven
06-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Yes sir, I catch it whenever I can and will attend someday. I'm always surprised how many people are not familiar with this race as it is one of the ultimates in my eyes. I'd hang off a sidecar any day in that race.

Billy Golightly
06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I catch it on TV when I can, there was some footage on Velocity over the weekend that was fun to watch. Definitely on my bucket list to go see it in person sometime as well!

DohcBikes
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Isle of man is unbelievable. I really like the 2013 Kawasaki ZX-6r commercial they filmed there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLRi_wg814&feature=kp

ironchop
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
a little graphic with the wreck footage

http://youtu.be/j7HlrI1COSs

ironchop
06-05-2014, 12:25 PM
http://youtu.be/JhrIRUIq7cM

DohcBikes
06-05-2014, 12:37 PM
^^^Metallica "One" at 10:24 on your first video ironchop. Perfect song, perfect timing.^^^

R.I.P. Dobsy, and every one of the more than 200 racers that have given their life to the Island and the passion for motorcycle racing.

poolieZerUK
06-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Murray Walker the legendary F1 commentator is a real diamond, his teaming with the late James Hunt was hilarious at times.
I have been watching TT on TV and its tragic but expected for fatalities. You pays your money and takes your chance as they say.
Bloke I knew was killed ther in 2001 I think in an accident with anoyher guy doing a u turn and he hit him going fast did chokey for a spell cause of it. A good racer/rider killed outright.
Was there myself as a spectator in 94 on a gsxr750 had a few laps and lived to tell the tale, its a great pi55 up too.
Can't see it ever being bannned as it brings in too much money and the island governs itself.
Happy days.

MRSOUND
06-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Never rode a "sport" bike capable of those speeds, just not my cup of tea and most likely beyond my abilities. Closest thing I've been on was a 09 Harley xr1000 at a "hog" rally. More than enough arse in that for me. That being said that would be awesome to see live. I'm amazed at the skill some of these riders display on these country roads at break neck speed. Thanks for posting Mike, otherwise I never would have known this race event existed.

poolieZerUK
06-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Neither could I go round like those guys LOL, like the proverbial gynecologist that I am not, I will have a fecking good look though.
Have a butchers for Vallentino Rossy going round, he parked it up as it was too scary for him, pussy.
This is what we get on TV
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/itv4 Its all on there to stream with lots of interviews and stuff some real characters see Guy Martin from 2011 he's off his head.
Its the biggy today senior TT 1000cc 200+mph makes me cringe watching, I think a few tins of chilled Stella Artois required.
Nice.

petesatc
06-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Two dead this year but thats' the name of the game......only racers with big balls get to win at the TT.....

Billy Golightly
06-09-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm feeling the desire and need for a 3ww members Isle of Man TT field trip to see this thing in person someday...

fabiodriven
06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I will be attending someday William.

Mr. Clean
06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
3ww members Isle of Man TT field trip

Yes I love field trips!!! We will require a fleet of fabiodriven's style xr trike's to ride around the island.

El Camexican
06-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Have a butchers for Vallentino Rossy going round, he parked it up as it was too scary for him, pussy.

I don't know what a "butchers" is mate, but give Rossi a break (and spell his name right), it’s totally different riding on a closed circuit track where you can lean till your elbows scrap knowing that if it does go bad you’re going into a sand trap, or smooth grass run-off VS a stone wall, or a wire fence. Short of a high-side crash a good modern track is a pretty safe place to let it all hang out. Then there is the Isle of Man: bumps, leafs, dirt, sand, small rodents and God only know what else are all over that death wish of a course. The Isle of Man just takes a different kind of crazy to win, few outside of Mike Hailwood and Agostini have been able to race successfully in both settings, not even Sheene or Roberts did both.

big specht
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm feeling the desire and need for a 3ww members Isle of Man TT field trip to see this thing in person someday...
Do we have to get a permission slip signed to go?

MRSOUND
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Do we have to get a permission slip signed to go?
Yes, and no disciplines on your record. Sorry about your luck specht!

petesatc
06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
"butchers" in the UK means "check it out"

poolieZerUK
06-11-2014, 05:15 AM
I don't know what a "butchers" is mate, but give Rossi a break (and spell his name right), it’s totally different riding on a closed circuit track where you can lean till your elbows scrap knowing that if it does go bad you’re going into a sand trap, or smooth grass run-off VS a stone wall, or a wire fence. Short of a high-side crash a good modern track is a pretty safe place to let it all hang out. Then there is the Isle of Man: bumps, leafs, dirt, sand, small rodents and God only know what else are all over that death wish of a course. The Isle of Man just takes a different kind of crazy to win, few outside of Mike Hailwood and Agostini have been able to race successfully in both settings, not even Sheene or Roberts did both.

Sorry about the spelling, but my Italian only stretches to somewhere close to pizza:)
TT is a grass roots sport born of tearing round the country lanes dodging the rozzers (Police) a hugely popular but deadly passtime.
Doesn't have the cachet of the ££££ and the women and is clearly far removed from any circuit on the moto GP. But that said you would expect that someone of his caliber would be able to make a decent account of himself around the track and, like everyone commenting here would by simply acknowledging its existance appreciate the nature of it before setting foot on the island never mind setting off on a bike. Wouldn't risk it for a biscuit as they say.
Set himself up for a fall thats all. Pun intended:)

El Camexican
06-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Sorry about the spelling, but my Italian only stretches to somewhere close to pizza:)
TT is a grass roots sport born of tearing round the country lanes dodging the rozzers (Police) a hugely popular but deadly passtime.
Doesn't have the cachet of the ££££ and the women and is clearly far removed from any circuit on the moto GP. But that said you would expect that someone of his caliber would be able to make a decent account of himself around the track and, like everyone commenting here would by simply acknowledging its existance appreciate the nature of it before setting foot on the island never mind setting off on a bike. Wouldn't risk it for a biscuit as they say.
Set himself up for a fall thats all. Pun intended:)

Sorry If I came out a like a bit of a wanker there mate, I just feel for the guy. The fact that he tried and quit VS never having tried at all will stain him in some people’s eyes, but not mine. The guy is an absolute master when it comes to closed circuit racing and the fact that him and guys like Lorenzo ride a steady 10/10th’s at all times is exactly why they shouldn’t be racing on the Isle. You simply can’t stay alive riding at that pace on a course like that. That course demands the common sense to get out of the gas once in a while and live to make another lap. A guy like Lorenzo likely wouldn’t last 10 minutes on that course before high siding himself into someone roof top satellite dish.

fabiodriven
07-17-2014, 10:25 PM
So it turns out my brother (who owns a modest motorcycle shop in Connecticut) is friends with a guy who does the Isle of Man TT every now and then, not every year but he does race it. Apparently he was trying to throw something together last minute this year but failed to make the deadline. The bike was prepped and crated by my brother and sits in my brother's shop as we speak. It's some sort of V-twin Kawi 650 sport bike that I wasn't familiar with. I guess amongst other things my brother put an R6 or F4 front end on it or something, something with bigger brakes and inverts. I told my brother that I will be attending this race sooner than later and offered my help at no cost just to pitch in and get the full experience from someone who knows how to do it. I'm sure the racer knows where to stay and stand and what not so this may be our "in" William. I told him to pass the word along please.

DohcBikes
07-18-2014, 01:54 PM
So it turns out my brother (who owns a modest motorcycle shop in Connecticut) is friends with a guy who does the Isle of Man TT every now and then, not every year but he does race it. Apparently he was trying to throw something together last minute this year but failed to make the deadline. The bike was prepped and crated by my brother and sits in my brother's shop as we speak. It's some sort of V-twin Kawi 650 sport bike that I wasn't familiar with. I guess amongst other things my brother put an R6 or F4 front end on it or something, something with bigger brakes and inverts. I told my brother that I will be attending this race sooner than later and offered my help at no cost just to pitch in and get the full experience from someone who knows how to do it. I'm sure the racer knows where to stay and stand and what not so this may be our "in" William. I told him to pass the word along please.I know this aint the point of your post fab, but is the Kawi by chance a Ninja 650r? They often swap the R6 front on to them. If so, it is a DOHC parrallel twin, I have built several of those engines, they are my absolute favorite engine in the Kawi lineup. I only ask because kawi doesn't make a sport bike v-twin, unless I missed something major at school. They do make a 650 v-twin but it goes into quads and stuff. It would be cool if somebody tried it in a bike though. Blue Ridge Performance builds the fastest 650r's in the U.S.

I hope your resource works out for you, what a thrill it would be to witness Isle of Man first hand!!!

fabiodriven
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I could have sworn he said V. Either he misspoke or I mis-heard I'm inclined to think. I'll clarify that with him.

Mr. Clean
04-22-2015, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/OmNXCJt7K3Q

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UqUa0dduw9o

Couple videos from ISLE of Man TT, first video is a great view from the front of the bike, second video is sidecar :)

Mr. Clean
06-03-2015, 12:56 PM
ITS ON AGAIN.

Schedule for Practice and Race, for the manliest race in the UNIVERSE, set your DVR ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info/Qualifying-and-Race-Schedule.aspx

poolieZerUK
06-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I don't watch much tv but saw a prelim program on Tuesday about the up and coming guys was really good.
I will post up some links to the coverage we get here when it gets underway.

poolieZerUK
06-05-2015, 04:07 PM
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/isle-of-man-tt/series-8/episode-3-tt-2015-the-beginner-s-guide

I haven't followed this link as it's on tv but it's all on this site.

atc007
06-05-2015, 05:14 PM
R.I.P Frank Petricola... Maybe others have passed today... I saw that last night :((

Racer-X
06-05-2015, 07:10 PM
I love watching the isle of man. It started with British(I think) imposing all types of speed restrictions so people went to that island to race and or speed because the reguations didnt apply there. Its literally just a winding country road and was never intended to be a race coarse. They have sissy'ed it up over the years though so a lot of curves and bends aren't so sharp and the road isnt as bumpy as it used to be. But still is the last real mans race left on the planet. No rules, no engine size limit, no conformity. Just run what you brung as fast as you possibly can. If it was still the older TT road with newer technology and faster bikes...it would be almost suicide. Its definitely not for the faint of heart. I gotta wonder how well known racers like josh hays, Valentino Rossi, stoner, Marquez, and Lorenzo would do on the TT? They'd probably need a change of underwear.

Mr. Clean
06-05-2015, 07:31 PM
They have sissy'ed it up over the years

Sure......:rolleyes:

History of Isle of Man TT.

http://www.iomtt.com/History.aspx

ivantate
06-05-2015, 07:46 PM
The irish road races come pretty close to being as tough.

I am sure Rossi said a couple of years ago that he would never be man enough to do a lap at race speed. I think he lapped on an ex-Agostini bike for show.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Racer-X
06-05-2015, 09:24 PM
What?? Are trying to say that the roads "haven't" been changed and corners rounded just like they have done to a lot of the dangerous curves and L shaped bends on the roads here and everywhere else. And you know this because you read one short article written by one guy on the internet? I never said it was for sissies, if you think making a road a little wider or a 60 degree bend into a 45 degree bend isnt "sissy'ing" it up then i dont know what else to call it. Maybe "safer" would have been a better word for some, but not me. That's just me. I also said it wasn't for the faint at heart. That's clearly the opposite of what you think I meant. I said alot of places of the road arent as sharp and as dangerous as it used to be. Watch the older videos. Bikes weren't as fast then but the road was a little more extreme.

Mr. Clean
06-12-2015, 02:51 PM
What?? Are trying to say that the roads "haven't" been changed and corners rounded just like they have done to a lot of the dangerous curves and L shaped bends on the roads here and everywhere else. And you know this because you read one short article written by one guy on the internet? I never said it was for sissies, if you think making a road a little wider or a 60 degree bend into a 45 degree bend isnt "sissy'ing" it up then i dont know what else to call it. Maybe "safer" would have been a better word for some, but not me. That's just me. I also said it wasn't for the faint at heart. That's clearly the opposite of what you think I meant. I said alot of places of the road arent as sharp and as dangerous as it used to be. Watch the older videos. Bikes weren't as fast then but the road was a little more extreme.

No, I am saying that "Sissy" and Isle of Man TT should NEVER EVER be used in the same sentence. There is not a single inch of that course that is "safe" or could be made "safer" for what these guys do at the speeds they run. Yes I know the course has changed but your conclusion of "safer" or "sissy" makes no sense to me, so I will leave you with this.

I posted the article from the official Isle of Man TT site to corroborate your statement about how it started (although you said "I think") and for anyone who reads the thread that may not be aware of the history of the race. :welcome:

When can I expect to see your name added to the list of racers?

Mr. Clean
06-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Anyone been keeping up with the races? I was watching the sidecars last night, watching them jump is Awesome, technically they are trikes :)

Mr. Clean
05-28-2016, 03:52 PM
So the "sissy racers" :wondering are back at again starting today on the Isle of Man for 2016. There was a fatality in practice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/28/tt-rider-killed-in-practice-race/

Mr. Clean
06-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Two more fatalities. :(

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2016/June/04/Statement-on-behalf-of-the-ACU.aspx

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2016/June/04/Statement-on-behalf-of-ACU-Events.aspx

Saw this pic on a social media site, rider is John McGuinness