PDA

View Full Version : 200es Starting problems

ivan-083
06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Hello,
I have a 1984 200es which i purchased, Iam having problems with the trike. It will start up and once i take it for a ride the trike will completly shut off sometimes. I wait a few mins and i pull the chokle out and it will start. I have replaced the coil as it had a car coil on it and i changed the plug. It will sometimes stop and it wont start again. Can it be the carby? Can anyone please help or give me some advice i would appreciate it.
Thanks Ivan

prometheus
06-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Need more info. When it dies is it a hard shut down or caugh and sputter? When it dies and won't start do you have spark?

coolpool
06-05-2014, 10:20 PM
When it dies, open the gas cap and listen for a vacuum. It could be as simple as a plugged cap. Simple things first ;-)

ivan-083
06-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the information appreciate it, when it shuts down it shuts down hard but it still has spark. I couldnt start it the other day and tried and tried to start it, but it wouldnt start. The next day i pulled the choke out and started first time. I will see if the gas cap is plugged up also. Thanks

prometheus
06-06-2014, 12:35 AM
If not gas cap it sounds like maybe your carb is flooding out randomly. Could be a sticking float or needle valve. Might need to throw a rebuild kit on it.

ivan-083
06-06-2014, 07:56 AM
It's not the gas cap, might be the carby then! Are those cheap carbys on eBay any good? Or is it better to use original carby and buy a rebuild kit for it? Thanks

prometheus
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
It's not the gas cap, might be the carby then! Are those cheap carbys on eBay any good? Or is it better to use original carby and buy a rebuild kit for it? Thanks

Ivan I would always rebuild myself. Those cheap aftermarket carbs are nothing more than standard carbs with crsppy rebuild kits put on them. Buy a quality rebuild kit like moose racing or you can get the Honda one. $20 and its not hard to do. There are step by step instructions on here. Can someone post a link to the carb rebuild thread?

ivan-083
06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks I will buy a decent rebuild kit for the carb and see how it goes! Thanks for the help really appreciate your help and time!

prometheus
06-06-2014, 01:43 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161746-ES-SX-350X-Carb-rebuild-Tutoral?highlight=carb+rebuild+instructions

Here's a link to help with rebuilding your carb.