PDA

View Full Version : June 6th, 1944 D-Day

bkm
06-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Its that time of year again and I just wanted to remind those that may have forgotten about this important day in world history. 70 years ago the Allied Army invaded Fortress Europe. If you still have grandparents or parents that fought during WWII, take a few minutes and thank them. This is a special day in their lives and they need to be cherished, because they aren't getting any younger.

For some of the younger guys on here who have a grandpa that is still living and served in WWII, if he'll talk about it, soak every last thing he says about it into your brain and cherish it forever.

My grandfather served from in Germany in '44-'45 and a year of occupation in '46. He then went on to serve his Uncle for two more years in Korea. He died when I was 8 years old and I would give anything to be able to talk to him just one more time.

God Bless those that served Past, Present, and Future.

atc007
06-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Great post Bryan. And as you do know Bryan. My Dad and SEVEN of his Brothers volunteered and fought in WWII. So far as we know ,the largest family to serve,and all make it back home. Some with more holes than others. But folks. the reason for this post is this. Just what Bryan said. IF you have the blessing to talk to ANYONE of that generation. Rather they fought a day or not. SOAK it up. Cuz I'm gonna tell ya a lil summin. I,,am one of them at heart. My Dad was 50,and my Mom 43 when they had me. So,,, I am a tight ass and carry their values with me everyday.,Because they grew up with NO SHOES. The only food they had, they killed,or raised in the garden. Living in a bubble with plugs shoved in your ears,, COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to your surroundings, because of your precious music. Was Not something they were consumed with :). yes, it was a different time,with different values. But they have SO much wisdom to offer you. And most of us are honestly,,too shallow yet to realize the wealth these people carry between their ears. Sorry for the tangent. Thank a veteran today. I do Every day,everytime I see one. Thank and appreciate especially anyone that was around for D day. Thanx for remembering Bryan.

jb2wheels
06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
My wife's granfather landed on Omaha beach. We lost him last summer. He lived 800 miles from us and I wish I made more time to spend with him.

I lost my last great uncle (a WWI Pacific vet) in April.

The Greatest Generation is almost gone... soak them up while you can.

desertlizard
06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
My dad was a paratrooper, 101st airborne, the guys that got spread all over the french country side. He passed away in 2001 but went to many a reunion with him and met a lot of his fellow soldiers, truly an honor.
Thanks for this thread.

Slingblade
06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
I was raised by my Grandfather. He served in Okinawa and later in Korea. Had a close family friend who served on a mortar team in Japan. A great uncle who served later in Germany, in the same unit as Elvis Presley.

I remember many stories told by these men, but I so regret not soaking it in. Oh, what I would pay for just an audio recording of the stories told by Mr. Hallmark, who was on the mortar team. He would share it all. Crawling for miles behind a railroad with bullets going inches above his head. Watching some of his closest friends die. As a teenager sitting around the fire at deer camp it was sobering and mesmerizing.

This was a generation of real men. Who, like Bill said, grew up with absolutely nothing, and were lucky to have a 5th grade education. They then were asked to go storm a beach and sacrifice their lives to bring stability to the world. And they did it, without a second thought. It was ther duty as men, after all... Real Men.

After this, they came home and built this great economic powerhouse of a country. They didn't do it by buying stocks or investing in foreign companies. They built factories, and bridges, and roads, and dams.
Or, like my grandfather, spent the next 40 years in a steel mill, making the steel that built America. And then watched as that steel plant was sold to a foreign investor, and then closed.

I salute these men, all the ones who served. But especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, who stormed a heavily armed beach in conditions we can not even imagine. And gave their own lives so the rest of the world, and an entire next generation could enjoy freedom and prosperity. What can I say to that? Thank you?? That just seems so weak, I'm almost ashamed.

Thanks, Bryan for posting this thread. For making me reflect on these men, all of whom have died. For reminding me where I came from, and who I owe it to.

atc007
06-06-2014, 05:55 PM
My God. Well said Slingblade. I am just So dang lucky to have been brought up by these hard ass bastards lol....I could not have said it any better. YOU get it ! Hard work and honesty was ALL THEY HAD. Nothing else. A slice of bread tomorrow was never guaranteed. And yes, what that generation built.. Indeed. thank you doesn't even get in the ballpark. My Dad was a Marine. He also was in Okinawa for a stint. But through most of his years he was powertrain commander. Which was a fancy word for. He crawled out 1st thing in the Am to turn the camp generators on,and crawled out last one at night , to shut them down. Most of the time,he could smell the enemy,and see the lights of there eyes like spotlighting deer. There is absolutely Zero reason Dad ever came home. Or made it through a week for that matter. They KNEW he was coming every morning and every night. I have told some stories in other threads about my Uncle who was Pattons traveling Veterinarean. Ed Fisher down the road. Who Was over there and SAW them come storming through a Traffic/horse/calvary jam.. And the very few stories I know are just a crust on the top of the billions and billions of bad things that they went through. Today has came and almost went. And before we know it. ALL of this generation will be gone. And then what?? Iphones and what? It scares me.

Scootertrash
06-06-2014, 08:40 PM
yes, it was a different time,with different values.

True, but values that should still be strongly held today, which I try my hardest to do. The one biggest value being PATRIOTISM. No one stands, removes their hat and places their hand over their heart anymore. If my wife and I do it at a parade or such, people give us the WTF? look. Get off your ass and show some respect to your country and the men and women who died defending your freedom.

Like these other guys said: If you have the chance to listen to these MEN that served, do it.

I would highly suggest that everybody watch the Band of Brothers series, I'm sure it will be on this weekend. If you haven't seen it it follows the paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division from training thru D-Day and the complete war. The movie tried hard to keep it as realistic as possible and stay true to the stories told by the men. It's hard to watch at times. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Thank you to all of those who served past and present!

Thanks BKM for starting this thread!

atc007
06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
The few times it has happened to us,removing our hats,standing up. And putting our hands on our hearts.. Most of them are too intangled with their phones to even notice what we did. I sat down at 8,the tv was on RFD tv. A old time themed tv show was on. talking about every single thing in this very thread! Some would say coincidence. But it happens to me all the time lately! The 1st song sang was Jimmy Fortune. In God We Trust. Great song. Says it all. He and his partner wrote it when the threat of removing "in God We Trust " from our American currency was growing.

Here is a version. But it's hard to hear the vocals. Listen to this,after seeing this thread TODAY lol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-m4nXh7wI&feature=kp