PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires for a 250SX

GSUwhiskers
06-07-2014, 01:10 PM
My rear tires are dry rotted, and the tread on all three tires looks rough. I was wondering what you guys recommend as far as tire brand. Also do ya'll just run stock tire sizes, or go wider/slimmer etc..
Also where do ya'll usually buy your tires from? Online?

GSUwhiskers
06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I forgot to mention I'm trying to make this ride a little mudding machine, not just the average cruiser.

DasUberKraut
06-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Kenda Bear Claws.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/IMG_20140530_101932_226_zpsdknaaqx1.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/Duggalo/media/IMG_20140530_101932_226_zpsdknaaqx1.jpg.html)

Flyingw
06-07-2014, 02:53 PM
For a muddin machine, I agree with DasUberKraut. Bear Claws rock!!!! Option B would be Mud Lites.

GSUwhiskers
06-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Okay great, my second question is I don't see bear claws made in the stock 22x11x8, so will 22x12x8 fit the stock rims on this wheeler?

Flyingw
06-07-2014, 03:59 PM
yes but not for the front. Stick to a knobby style tire for the front if you're buying a front.

Chopsaw
06-07-2014, 08:14 PM
yes but not for the front. Stick to a knobby style tire for the front if you're buying a front.

I just want to add that all the knobbies are not the same . The size listing will be the same , but some are to wide and they rub when they flex while riding .
I bought a knobby from Flyingw thats perfect . I can get the make if needed .

dougspcs
06-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm agreeing with every word so far..but as a guy who makes it his hobby to experiment with new tire/rim setups hear this!!

New front plan for you..

Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0
Tire: Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10

It's inexpensive, a direct bolt on without the need to shim, and will improve the handling incredibly!!

Oh yeah, it looks pretty bad aZZ also without the need to do a frontend swap like some of the guys have done!!

Rocky Mountain ATV is my favourite tire supplier online(or others) and should be able to fix you up..the front tire and rim will run around $100 from most vendors.

One more thing..mount the front tire as a 'right side' to get the directional tread pointed in the right direction. But truth is it doesn't matter..I've got it backward on my 250ES and it's all the same!!

Good luck..

DasUberKraut
06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Hey Doug... Doug here. Ha ha!

That Claw on the front is sexy! I was almost thinking Kenda Front Max. I have that style on my Auto-X. I may end up with a 3rd Claw now. Have you experimented with a Front Max style at all? Just curious if it makes a difference from a smaller 200 cc to the 250's with almost 100 lbs more dry weight.

dougspcs
06-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey Doug... Doug here. Ha ha!

That Claw on the front is sexy! I was almost thinking Kenda Front Max. I have that style on my Auto-X. I may end up with a 3rd Claw now. Have you experimented with a Front Max style at all? Just curious if it makes a difference from a smaller 200 cc to the 250's with almost 100 lbs more dry weight.

Yeah Doug, I have a Kenda Front Max on my 350X and it's great on the trails/sand/fields..but no never on a smaller machine. Don't know what to tell you about that!!

But then I like the mud like our friend Mr Whiskers here.

The Bear Claw (or Mud Lite) rules that turf!!

Doug :D

GSUwhiskers
06-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Awesome guys I appreciate all of the advice. Its nice being able to ask folks who have a ton of experience in the field already. When I have the money I'll replace all three tires but I'm gonna replace the back two for sure soon. Change of subject but do y'all have headlights and taillights on your rides? Mine is missing both and the mount for both is gone. I considered putting one of those led bars on the front because they are ridiculously bright. But Im not sure how I could mount it or the taillight?

GSUwhiskers
06-08-2014, 07:06 PM
IAlso, is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 250SX? And are there parts that fit the 250 and other three wheelers? Or do I have to get 250 specific parts?

Marksman
06-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm agreeing with every word so far..but as a guy who makes it his hobby to experiment with new tire/rim setups hear this!!

New front plan for you..

It's inexpensive, a direct bolt on without the need to shim, and will improve the handling incredibly!!

Oh yeah, it looks pretty bad aZZ also without the need to do a frontend swap like some of the guys have done!!

Rocky Mountain ATV is my favourite tire supplier online(or others) and should be able to fix you up..the front tire and rim will run around $100 from most vendors.

One more thing..mount the front tire as a 'right side' to get the directional tread pointed in the right direction. But truth is it doesn't matter..I've got it backward on my 250ES and it's all the same!!

Good luck..

Do you know if that specific rim (or one with similar specs) is available in aluminum at Rocky Mountain ATV? I looked for one for the front of my SX in the past and couldn't find one that seemed to have the right spacing.

dougspcs
06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Do you know if that specific rim (or one with similar specs) is available in aluminum at Rocky Mountain ATV? I looked for one for the front of my SX in the past and couldn't find one that seemed to have the right spacing.

Don't know..never looked. You'll have to do a search..

dougspcs
06-09-2014, 08:17 AM
IAlso, is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 250SX? And are there parts that fit the 250 and other three wheelers? Or do I have to get 250 specific parts?

Not sure what to tell you about the custom light thing..maybe someone else can.

But the aftermarket exhaust can be a hassle..here is what I did.

Buy this..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimpex-Exhaust-ATV-Muffler-Honda-ATC-250ES-1985-1986-1987-/351090516410?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bea021ba&vxp=mtr

Yes I know it says it's for the 250ES, but the length and curve of the pipe is the same..only difference is the location of the support bracket in the middle of the pipe.

You'll just have to take a grinder and cut the bracket off the frame of your SX and it will bolt straight up.

I put one on my 85 SX three years ago and it's still good!!

Motorgidd
06-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I just put a set of 22x11x10 Swamp Foxes on our 85 250sx. I wanted a little more selection for tires so we upgraded the wheels to a 10". I really like the way they perform. Good tire for just about any terrain. A little washy on hard pack terrain, but not terrible. Definitely better than the stock tires we had before. Wheels are AMS .190 aluminum 10x8 3+5.

Keepah Rolln
06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Anyone have pictures of there sx with mud light tires?

Flyingw
06-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Ya baby!!!!

Marksman
06-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Ya baby!!!!

Nice Trike!!!

GSUwhiskers
06-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Okay, I've looked at mudlites which I have on my fourwheeler, and bear claws. I'm pretty much sold on the bear claws, they just look nasty and I don't think it is a coincidence that you all seem to own a set. Thanks for all the help guys, once I get my mechanical issues worked out the next purchase will be tires.

Marksman
06-17-2014, 11:29 PM
I just put a set of 22x11x10 Swamp Foxes on our 85 250sx. I wanted a little more selection for tires so we upgraded the wheels to a 10". I really like the way they perform. Good tire for just about any terrain. A little washy on hard pack terrain, but not terrible. Definitely better than the stock tires we had before. Wheels are AMS .190 aluminum 10x8 3+5.

Good lookin' set-up!!!

If you don't mind me asking... what is your front tire/wheel combo? Is that an aluminum wheel? What is the diameter and offset? I like more of the 200X front end look like your rig has.

Bigred97
06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I have always liked the look of mudlites on three wheelers.

Motorgidd
06-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Good lookin' set-up!!!

If you don't mind me asking... what is your front tire/wheel combo? Is that an aluminum wheel? What is the diameter and offset? I like more of the 200X front end look like your rig has.

Thanks Marksman.

I am using an 85 200x complete front end (hub, aluminum wheel, forks and triples). Tire is a 23.5x8x11 Pro Vector. Stock 83-85 200x front wheel if I remember right is 6" wide by 11" dia. with a 3+3 offset and a 4/190 bolt pattern. :wondering (Correct me if I’m wrong guys)

Marksman
06-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks Marksman.

I am using an 85 200x complete front end (hub, aluminum wheel, forks and triples). Tire is a 23.5x8x11 Pro Vector. Stock 83-85 200x front wheel if I remember right is 6" wide by 11" dia. with a 3+3 offset and a 4/190 bolt pattern. :wondering (Correct me if I’m wrong guys)

Okay, I could not tell for certain if that was a stock 250SX front-end or a 200X. Thanks for the info!!!

Marksman
06-18-2014, 12:21 PM

New front plan for you..

Good luck..

Hey Doug, I love your combo, and I'm going with Bear Claws on all 3 corners. However, I am thinking about going with aluminum wheels.... what do you think about the following wheel for the front (you'll have to click the option of "front" to get the correct size to come up):

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3362/8669/Douglas-.190-Wheel?v=1919

The spacing is correct. Is this rim strong enough to use on the front of a trike? I have the same brand and thickness of rim on the rear of my '85 SX, and am looking to go with this on the front of my '86 SX. I plan to go with the OE rim and tire combo for the rear.

The silver steel rims would give much more of a 250SX OE look, while the aluminum option would make it look a little more like a 200X. What are your thoughts?

Motorgidd
06-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey Doug, I love your combo, and I'm going with Bear Claws on all 3 corners. However, I am thinking about going with aluminum wheels.... what do you think about the following wheel for the front (you'll have to click the option of "front" to get the correct size to come up):

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3362/8669/Douglas-.190-Wheel?v=1919

The spacing is correct. Is this rim strong enough to use on the front of a trike? I have the same brand and thickness of rim on the rear of my '85 SX, and am looking to go with this on the front of my '86 SX. I plan to go with the OE rim and tire combo for the rear.

The silver steel rims would give much more of a 250SX OE look, while the aluminum option would make it look a little more like a 200X. What are your thoughts?

Marksman,

I can’t speak for Doug but that wheel is plenty strong for the 250sx. I noticed the offset on Rocky Mountain is reversed from what Doug posted though.

Doug’s post: "Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2+3"

Rocky Mountain: 4/110 Douglas Wheel 10x5 3+2

The first number "2" in the offset "2+3" is the inside of the wheel (if there is such a thing with a front). The second number "3" is the outside of the wheel also called the valve stem side. You could just flip the wheel around… But If I remember right the valve stem is on the right hand side of the trike when mounted. If you flip the wheel to get the correct offset the valve stem will be on the left side… My concern would be the valve stem might hit the brake drum and it might be hard to put air in with it mounted. I would look for a wheel with a 2+3 offset like Dougspcs said.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/ATV%20Wheel%20Sizing%20and%20Offset.pdf

King Trikester
06-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Marksman,

I can’t speak for Doug but that wheel is plenty strong for the 250sx. I noticed the offset on Rocky Mountain is reversed from what Doug posted though.

The first number "2" in the offset "2+3" is the inside of the wheel (if there is such a thing with a front). The second number "3" is the outside of the wheel also called the valve stem side. You could just flip the wheel around… But If I remember right the valve stem is on the right hand side of the trike when mounted. If you flip the wheel to get the correct offset the valve stem will be on the left side… My concern would be the valve stem might hit the brake drum and it might be hard to put air in with it mounted. I would look for a wheel with a 2+3 offset like Dougspcs said.

I have that exact setup on my sx, 3+2 offset, (this exact rim http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3362/8669/Douglas-.190-Wheel?v=1919) it works fine just a bit of a tight fit for the air chuck. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own

Marksman
06-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Marksman,

Great advice... and Doug gave me the same advice in a PM. I decided to go with the exact set-up that Doug had used with Bear Claws all around, with ITP steelies. Just got the front mounted up today and was pleased to find that the front axle came out without too much trouble. I would like to have the look of Aluminum rims, but didn't want the hassle of the valve stem being behind the brake drum. I never could find an aluminum rim with the 2+3 offset, only the 3+2.

Now on to my next question... with the now more narrow front wheel/tire combo, I'm looking to narrow up that front fender a little. Will a 200X front fender bolt right up? What about a 250R or 350X? Are they all universal as far as mounting holes? Which would look best on that 5" rim with the 23x7-10 Bear Claw on an SX? I do want to stick with the red-colored fender.

Marksman
06-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I have that exact setup on my sx, 3+2 offset, (this exact rim http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3362/8669/Douglas-.190-Wheel?v=1919) it works fine just a bit of a tight fit for the air chuck. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own

If you get a minute... could you post a pic. of your SX with that set-up?

dougspcs
06-23-2014, 11:36 PM
The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own

I have played around with this format on both my ES and my SX and while it may not suit some rider's preference, I love it. I'll sacrifice a bit of 'float' for the extra bite the slimmer tire offers.

I'm a pretty aggressive rider in mixed rough terrain and like the confidence of the tighter tracking at higher speeds.

The formula I presented was just that..a formula to ensure a good mechanical fit. Anyone using it please understand that this is experimental with tires/rims that didn't exist 30 years ago and not specifically for this application.

I've stated that using this formula there will be no tires to fit the rim that will be 'wrong' to choose. But what is right for you may be a matter of preference..

I pass on my findings in hopes that others will enjoy the changes as I have. However, I can't accept any responsibility if the outcome is not to your liking!! I just need to go on the record as saying that.

Dave Little
06-24-2014, 12:04 AM
The narrow front wheel with bear claw tire has some bad habits those choosing to adopt will find out. Although the tighter tracking at higher speed is nice, like most things... it's a trade-off. It likes to bite in technical terrain and try to turn the bars to full lock if you don't have a serious grip and are expecting it. What you are loosing in the deal is forgiveness on the front end. The OE size tire is just as much a part of the suspension as the forks. I've had the bear claw front and 5" wide wheel and did not like it at all. What it is good for is flat, sandy or rail-trail type riding. Not appropriate for really anything else. Could the handling be different with a different tread pattern? I suppose but since dumping the narrow front I've gone back to the original 8" Ohtsu for the time being which will soon be replaced with a 9x8 alum wheel up front with something wide for rubber.

So for all those that are being told the narrow tire is the way to go and it looks cool, and don't really question it further....just be aware.

dougspcs
06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
I guess I'll have to agree with Dave on some of his points..if you like your trike with the classic marshmallow ride characteristics don't do it! Don't think I'm disrespecting his opinion, he does have that point correct. A 250R front suspension it is not!!

Personally, I take mine anywhere and love extra response to body input. I throw my weight around a lot on the machine and expect the trike to go where I point it. For that it's greats..

I've found it equally happy on the rocky/muddy terrain as the open trails. It is after all a sport utility machine after all!

The trade off is some moderate ache after a solid days ride!

To me, way worth it!!

Marksman
06-24-2014, 01:35 PM
How about my front fender question from earlier? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

dougspcs
06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
How about my front fender question from earlier? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Yeah, I missed that..

I just eyeballed my 350x fender..it's a definite no go!! Bolt holes on the SX fender are way farther out than the 350x.

Couldn't say about the others I couldn't say. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.

Marksman
06-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I missed that..

I just eyeballed my 350x fender..it's a definite no go!! Bolt holes on the SX fender are way farther out than the 350x.

Couldn't say about the others I couldn't say. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.

I've been told that the 200X front fender will bolt right up, but I just wanted to confirm before ordering one.

wamulass
06-27-2014, 11:11 PM
like this for the front

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA==/z/oRkAAOxygj5SdSRE/$T2eC16F,!)8FJhfn(JUjBSdSRDWo2w~~60_57.JPG

Marksman
06-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I had a set of the Front Max's on the front of a quad I owned once. They held up good.

Don't know about them on a trike... but would likely do well. Just don't put them on the back!

UPNATM
06-28-2014, 12:39 AM
The narrow front wheel with bear claw tire has some bad habits those choosing to adopt will find out. Although the tighter tracking at higher speed is nice, like most things... it's a trade-off. It likes to bite in technical terrain and try to turn the bars to full lock if you don't have a serious grip and are expecting it. What you are loosing in the deal is forgiveness on the front end. The OE size tire is just as much a part of the suspension as the forks. I've had the bear claw front and 5" wide wheel and did not like it at all. What it is good for is flat, sandy or rail-trail type riding. Not appropriate for really anything else. Could the handling be different with a different tread pattern? I suppose but since dumping the narrow front I've gone back to the original 8" Ohtsu for the time being which will soon be replaced with a 9x8 alum wheel up front with something wide for rubber.

So for all those that are being told the narrow tire is the way to go and it looks cool, and don't really question it further....just be aware.

I also see your point Dave, but I think it does come down to tire choice. Because of the aggressiveness of the Bear claw, I decided when I went with the more narrow tire and rim on my newest SX to go with a more stock looking tread pattern tire on the front. I really notice the difference in the lighter weight of the front end as compared to stock, as well as the quicker steering response.
To each his own for sure, but like I said I think tire choice is key.

King Trikester
06-28-2014, 12:46 AM
If you get a minute... could you post a pic. of your SX with that set-up?

She's a bit dirty haven't had a chance to wash her but here ya go. 196505196508[/ATTACH]196506196507

It handles a lot better like this and As you can see I have no issues pumping the tire up, and I love the look of it when it's all cleaned up. This is the 3+2 offset aluminum rim

Marksman
06-28-2014, 09:06 AM
She's a bit dirty haven't had a chance to wash her but here ya go. 196505196508[/ATTACH]196506196507

It handles a lot better like this and As you can see I have no issues pumping the tire up, and I love the look of it when it's all cleaned up. This is the 3+2 offset aluminum rim

Thanks for the pics.

King Trikester
06-28-2014, 10:31 AM
I like the look of it, and it does handle really good but for my style of ridding it's not for me, I need a wider tire with more flotation. As said previously it's all about experimentation and rider preference, what's good for some isn't good for all, I play in lots of mud and deep water, I found out the hard way that the front end does not float in water without me on it. I'm used to the Oem style tire where if I get in trouble (to deep of water) I could just bail off and the machine would float. The other day I did exactly that but when I bailed off the front end sank and I sucked in water. Luckily I killed the ignition and all I had to to was pull the plug, turn it over to blast all water out of the cylinder, a quick flush and oil change and ten minutes later I was ridding again, true honda reliability.

I'm going to get matching rims and tires for the back. 23/10/10 on the rear, and then try a 23/8/10 on the front, I will report back with handling and flotation changes.

GSUwhiskers
06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
I really like the Bearclaw look on the front, but I'm not convinced yet that I would want to switch away from the reliability of stock tires up front yet.

Racer-X
07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm not going to recommend any particular brand of tire, just that i would recomend a more square holeshot style tire like DasUberKraut has in his picture. I had a Yamaha with the origional tires that I would consider round and skinny and switched to a pair of spider tracks that were wide and square.
Then Bam!!! I had a while new machine! The stability was dramatically increased. I know it sounds like bs but with those new mud terrain style tires I went riding with 4 guys on quads and two of them were big 4x4 utilities and I was the only one who could make it up 2 of the muddy hills. I was glad I ditched the stock pattern knobbies.

redsox
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
i like that different people can all disagree on the tire choices. I have an SX, and i experimented with tires front and rear. I got the bearclaws for the rear and didnt like them at all. in my opinion, theyre WAY to heavy, they dont slide, you lose a great deal of rear suspension, and they rub the muffler. they will get you through mud very well, but are not great in the snow (weight). they leave a little to be desired in the rocks while climbing. I went back to stock in the rear. pretty soon i'll be trying the duro knobbies as they are as close to oem that is availible. thats my two cents on the rear. and as you can see, i disagree with doug. As for the front, i say go narrow!! i got the correct offset rim as doug reccommended and i like it alot. you lose a bit in suspension, but not bad. also, as stunt man dave stated, it can be a bit sharp in the rocks, but its very controlable. he had a BAD experience and i think it left him a bit biased. i went with the bear claw up front, but, if i had to do it again i'd get the holeshot of frontmax pattern. a little more rubber on the deck IMO. plus, the super aggressive pattern up front is really not helping much. whatever you go with, post how you like it. let us know.

wamulass
07-07-2014, 01:54 AM
if its a 22x11-8, the gator is best for mud use, suggest the mud light for a good all around use and for a knobby type i recommend the kenda scorpions. has a square profile compared to the oem knobby tires. on my atc110 i have a 22x11-8 bushwhacker front tire and have 2 sets of rear tires, a pair of 20x11-8 hole shots on 8x8 3/100 douglass aluminum wheels as well as 22x12-10 spider trac on custom t-9 10x10 wheels with 4 bolt hubs. all i have ti do is take the whole hub off and put the other hub on to switch tires. no need to unbolt tires

and i know how hated the trail pro is on here, but that bushwhacker (trail pro clone) front is as tough as they come. its rated as a 4-ply tire but is as heavy as heck and built like a 6 ply tire. wears like steel and isn't overly aggressive. its the toughest tire i could find that could be used as a front. all other 4-ply or 6-ply rated tires were for rear use only and wouldn't steer well if used as a front.

i wish the kenda front max was a 4-ply. had one and it performed great but punctured easily. wore pretty fast too. the best performing 22x11-8 tire i ever used up front.

Marksman
07-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Has anyone ever run an ITP Mud Lite (23x8-10) up front?

It would look cool if nothing else... as well as matching the rear tires. I was thinking about mounting it on a 5 inch wide 3+2 offset Douglas polished aluminum rim. The 10 inch diameter should allow adequate space for the valve stem on the brake drum (left) side.

Any thoughts (or possibly pics) of a similar set up?

Also… still looking for confirmation that a 200X front fender will bolt directly to the forks of a 250SX without modifications?

themotoviking
06-27-2015, 03:02 PM
So what would you guys recommend for a hard pack Arizona desert with sandy washes and then the Cinders OHV area which is volcanic fine pebble rock that you basically treat like sand. Last time i had an ATV it was Minnesota with good old Wolly Boggers and a stock front.

I am going to do doug's front wheel swap and am thinking of using the Kenda Front K284 Max.

Keeping with the stock rear wheels I was just thinking of defaulting to the Duro Mud and Sand (basically the new wolly Bogger).

Thoughts?

nd4speed
06-28-2015, 02:52 AM
I had Maxxis Sur Trak on a quad which are now the Kenda Bear Claw. I would only recommend them as a rear tire, but the biggest problem with them along with Spider track like tires is they weigh a ton. Way too much. they can be reversed for a sand paddle mud type tire but they rob power. They were a fairly tough tire though.

I had a Kenda front Max on a 3 wheeler and thought that worked good.

Tagg21
08-18-2021, 02:16 PM
Doug, I’ve been doing some major research and just can’t find anyone who has run a 24 or 24” tire on the front of a 250sx. I’ve seen the ES with a 12” wheel and 25” tire, but I don’t know if that will match up to an SX front end. Any help please?