PDA

View Full Version : 200ES questions

Mrcurrie
06-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I bought an 84 ES a little over a year ago, as a project. Last winter I stripped it all down, replaced the front end w/200m forks. Changed the tires and rims, rebuilt the top end, and changed the gaskets. added a new aftermarket pipe and battery. After sitting on my bench for two weeks, I bolted the engine back in place filled the oil reservoir, and it fired instantly. Thus proving once again that these engines are bullet proof! I'm finding that if it sits for a while, it will fire without issue, but it will burn oil for 10-20 seconds, then it's fine. No smoke. When I shift into gear. It seems as though I'm shifting from N-2 or 3. The shifting is very sensitive. Also, I can fiddle with the idle until it idles perfectly, drive it 10 feet and the idle is out of whack again. Has anyone else encountered any or all of these issues? If so, I'd love to hear about a remedy.
Thanks

prometheus
06-10-2014, 05:08 AM
I think its possible your issues are related. What colour is the smoke when it burns oil for 10-20 seconds. It might not be oil it could be your carb mixture. Which could explain your idle issue. Have you rebuilt the carb? If not I would suggest doing so. Its possible that your rings are allowing bypass untill fully filled but very unlikely. I would check the carb and compression. Make sure the engine is stone cold when you pull compression.

86125m
06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Hey two things if the idele is out of wack go and clean the carb. Now secondly your engine should not be burning oil what brand of oil are you yousing and is it wet clutch safe if not I suggest you go to your honda dealer and buy there motorcycle oil with wet clutch safe.

Mrcurrie
06-21-2014, 12:04 PM
I think its possible your issues are related. What colour is the smoke when it burns oil for 10-20 seconds. It might not be oil it could be your carb mixture. Which could explain your idle issue. Have you rebuilt the carb? If not I would suggest doing so. Its possible that your rings are allowing bypass untill fully filled but very unlikely. I would check the carb and compression. Make sure the engine is stone cold when you pull compression.

Thanks for your reply. The smoke is white. It smells like burning oil, and just before it stops, it smells like gasoline exhaust. Compression is good. I have only cleaned the carb. When I get some free time, I'll buy a kit and rebuild it. Any idea on what could be causing the sensitivity issue with my shifter/tranny? Thanks again

iceriderdave
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
one of my 200es burns and leak oil out of the exhaust,plus the spark plug heats up and after few quick rides needs sparkplug replaced.