PDA

View Full Version : new and need help

Pfsorcerer
06-10-2014, 02:41 AM
hey guys im 26 from ct

I got a 79 atc 110 5 years ago took it apart and left it to rot in a five gallon bucket in my moms basement lol

finally got some time and been slowly rebuilding it piece by piece this is what it looks like so far after like $300- 400 and 50 - 60 hours

195215 195216 195215

although i have a no spark / stator issue where can i post that?

jakep53
06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
welcome to 3ww
someone may help you with your spark issue in this thread

Pfsorcerer
06-10-2014, 01:12 PM
this is a question for a no spark issue from a 1979 atc 110

I am fairly certain I have a bad stator (oh no!!!)

I looked at the service manual and for stator it states .4 - 1.2 ohms on yellow 100 - 400 ohm on black

I am not exaggerating this number, I have researched approximately 6 hours on how to test stators and really never found a definitive way to test our 79' atc 110 stator with the two wires and no ground wire.

So far I have removed the stator in question and bench tested the resistance and continuity of both black and yellow stator wires to ground...

Both wires show absolutely nothing... No resistance and no continuity to stator body...

The one I have has definitely seen its better days, one of the coils looks like it hit the magneto at some point, two connecting wires and broken, and the sealing epoxy is missing in some areas.

Due to the rough shape, I bought another off eBay for 66 bucks, upon delivery I bench tested it with different results than
the previous stator, ALTHOUGH, one connecting wire which was not pictured in description was severed (possibly due to shipping.)

the results from the new stator read .2 ohm and good continuity from YELLOW wire to ground at stator body -- BUT, black wire read 0 ohms no continuity (CRAP!!!)

so this being said, I suspect the new stator I purchased is faulty as well as the previous. Although it has not been tested on bike yet I am very much looking forward to hearing a response (thoughts) on my dilemma

I looked at the service manual and it states .4 - 1.2 ohms on yellow 100 - 400 ohm on black

I was wondering if it was not to much trouble if one of you have a good stator laying around that you know 100% works could you test it, or even better post a video :) and explain how to test for bad/good stators on the 79' 80' trikes!!!

Finally, if anyone has a extra stator just laying around (hint hint) I would be very grateful if I could purchase one that really works

Thanks much,

peter fliri