PDA

View Full Version : no spark issue (bad stator) from a 1979 atc 110

Pfsorcerer
06-10-2014, 01:16 PM
this is a question for a no spark issue from a 1979 atc 110

I am fairly certain I have a bad stator (oh no!!!)

I looked at the service manual and for stator it states .4 - 1.2 ohms on yellow 100 - 400 ohm on black

I am not exaggerating this number, I have researched approximately 6 hours on how to test stators and really never found a definitive way to test our 79' atc 110 stator with the two wires and no ground wire.

So far I have removed the stator in question and bench tested the resistance and continuity of both black and yellow stator wires to ground...

Both wires show absolutely nothing... No resistance and no continuity to stator body...

The one I have has definitely seen its better days, one of the coils looks like it hit the magneto at some point, two connecting wires and broken, and the sealing epoxy is missing in some areas.

Due to the rough shape, I bought another off eBay for 66 bucks, upon delivery I bench tested it with different results than
the previous stator, ALTHOUGH, one connecting wire which was not pictured in description was severed (possibly due to shipping.)

the results from the new stator read .2 ohm and good continuity from YELLOW wire to ground at stator body -- BUT, black wire read 0 ohms no continuity (CRAP!!!)

so this being said, I suspect the new stator I purchased is faulty as well as the previous. Although it has not been tested on bike yet I am very much looking forward to hearing a response (thoughts) on my dilemma

I looked at the service manual and it states .4 - 1.2 ohms on yellow 100 - 400 ohm on black

I was wondering if it was not to much trouble if one of you have a good stator laying around that you know 100% works could you test it, or even better post a video :) and explain how to test for bad/good stators on the 79' 80' trikes!!!

Finally, if anyone has a extra stator just laying around (hint hint) I would be very grateful if I could purchase one that really works

Thanks much,

peter fliri

wonderboy
06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
The ground is the metal parts of the stator itself. So just measure resistance between the wire and the bare metal of the stator. Try different point on the stator if they are dirty, but basically you need the stator to be grounded to the motor when installed.

You yellow wire is basically a short (very low ohms), so don't sweat it if it is not EXACTLY 0.4 to 1.2. However, the black wire needs to be in the range like specified. The black wire is for the coil that provides power to the ignition system (the yellow is for lighting). The wire on the coil with black lead is very fine (something like 37 gauge) and is fragile. I just replaced the stator on my 200s. I used a brand new replacement from Ricky stator. They are $39.

Here is a link:
http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/honda-atc110-source-coil-years-p-216.html

You have to solder the black wire to this new stator. If you are tired of dealing with used parts, I'd recommend this new part. There are also new used chinese import parts on e-bay for even less money, but the one from ricky stator has a one year warranty.

Pfsorcerer
06-15-2014, 01:44 AM
they only have stator for 81 up thanks thou

Steve-Hoog
04-01-2015, 10:35 AM
This is something I am having trouble with as well.

Can someone please verify this reported black wire Ohm 100 to 400 is correct?

I have .7 yellow and 2.1 black to Ground.

2.5 yellow to black.

With no one making a repo and Honda long since discontinued; buying another used one is a huge gamble, leaving no good options.

Steve-Hoog
04-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Never mind that, I have a spare 85 110 that is hitting 212 on the black wire.

Now to find a good one on Ebay, oh boy :(

ps2fixer
04-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Did you change the fly wheel when you replaced the stator? If there is damage to it, that might be a big factor. I have a stator on my desk at home, but the machine it came from was parted out pretty bad before I got it. I can OHM test it, but I would follow what the service manual says. I'd suspect if it is within 10-20% of the readings in the manual it should still work, just might be a bit of a weaker spark.

Also I did a writeup on my website about the stator, the one photoed is the one I have on my desk still.

http://atvinterchange.com/category/bolt-on-interchanges/us90-and-atc110-stator/

The interchange is purely based on fitting, 79 had a different part number for some reason, maybe a different wattage output for the lighting coil.

70-73 US90
74-78 ATC90
79-90 ATC110

Hopefully that can help open up your options for finding a good one.