PDA

View Full Version : 84 Tecate ignition followup

alowther
06-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi all

Posted on here a long time ago and got some good leads for where to start (thanks to jeswinehart). Have taken it apart now that it has warmed up and work has slowed down. Need some thoughts.

84 kawi Tecate trike. No spark. Tranny, clutch, frame, rad, all look good. I pulled the exhaust and scoped the cylinder and it looks good. All that to say that if I can get it spark, it looks like it should run for a while yet.

Problems:
1) no spark
2) no throttle cable and no throttle twist assembly.
3) no headlight/taillight (not required for my purposes)

From a spark perspective, the i think the CDI is pooched. From the FSM specs it is way off (see attached picture) with most resistances reading in the Mohms instead of the kohms.

The stator coil reads within spec but just barely on all metrics ( again see attached picture).

The flywheel is missing a chunk of magnet (see attached picture) not a big piece and not the full width of the magnet, but this probably isnt helping things. No obvious damage to the stator coil or charging coil from eating that chunk of magnet, but its impossible to read clearances inside the flywheel.

Question: I have heard that a place called Ricky stator will re wire the stator. Based on the ohming, it is within spec, but barely. I would think that I definitely need a new (used) flywheel - its a four magnet setup. The CDI seems way outside of any kind of spec, even though some have said to ignore the FSM tolerances on the CDI.

Any thoughts on how to pull this off? I am concerned if I change one component as a troubleshooting meathod, given the shortage of parts, the new component may not play well with the others.

The best way would be to replace the flywheel, stator, and CDI, but not sure how to pull this off. There is a bike boneyard in town, but will likely have to get some system off a Kawi bike, i dont expect a Tecate to be sitting there for me.

Any advice as to compatible parts bikes, advice in general?

Pics attached including flywheel.

Thanks in advance. lowther(dot)ac@gmail.com

Adam