PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the site and newbie to my new toy 84 ATC 250R.

mozzy
06-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi guys,

I just bought this and wanted to restore it as much as possible.

I know that it's missing a few things and the headlight and front fender aren't correct. I've noticed the rear fender is also a little odd, but, I couldn't find what model it came off as I know it's not OEM for an 84.:wondering

Please post up what you see as being wrong. I need to know what I'm up for.

MattDragontamer
06-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the boards!

A restoration job can be as cheap or as expensive as you are willing to get with it.
A word of advice from me to you is... Don't rush it. Take the time to get educated, use and abuse it now and get to know how it runs.
Then after a while, you should have saved some cash and thought about what exactly you want to do with your ride.

If this is your first restoration, things will be expensive. The first run at things means you need to buy tools, shop equipment and
learn about the various parts and pieces and how to work them to preserve and/or re-use them.
If you want to pinch your pennies, I suggest you treat every part as if it was the last known part on earth.
You would be amazed to see what some people can do with small budgets. (...some people even have tickle trunks... hehe)
Anywho, there is a staggering amount of 250r info on this and other sites, parts are plentiful and many are reproduced.
Online places like Ebay is a good source. Try to buy parts from the same seller to combine shipping as I'm sure you know.

I am sure some 250r experts will pop in soon to give you pointers. Till then, see you on the boards!

murrietamike
06-11-2014, 10:08 AM
The light appears to be off an '85 250R so I would surmise that the rear plastic is as well.
Other than that, Matt is right .... and welcome...

mozzy
06-11-2014, 10:43 AM
The only Honda I have restored somewhat except a couple of performance parts was a FL350R.

I know of ebay all too well and the people that take advantage of rare machine owners and international shipping.

I've already run into some expensive prices on ebay.

Thanks and I look forward to perusing the pages.

JasonB
06-11-2014, 11:21 AM
look around in Australia, theres a few guys on here with Air cooled 250r's that may have some parts for ya. honestly it already looks pretty complete, i would ride it for now and get to know the machine before you tear into it for a restore. You look to have most of the usable parts you need already in hand, the bike looks like it wasnt to mistreated aside from the spray bomb on the motor. check out http://airfoolers.com/ for more info on your machine. welcome!

atc300r
06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
The rear looks like a 83 250r judgeing by the rear dogbone.The rear fender is 83-84 250r Maier.

jakep53
06-12-2014, 05:49 AM
welcome to 3ww from another Victorian....Where did you find that??? I have been looking for ages for a 250r and you got one!!!
but if you are going to do a full OEM restoration be prepared to sell your house to pay for parts and not to mention shipping expenses are through the roof to OZ....for it looks like a good project!!

atc007
06-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Great advice. It is a 83 250R. carb and rear anyhow.. Silencer is not for this R. They've welded a spacer on the bottom mount. I would think it is going to melt a hole in the plastics. The Fr fender and light are 85 R. And the rear plastic is Maiers awful try at rears. I 'll never know why they didn't get that mold right to meet up to the tank.. Nice bike overall! And you get extra bonus points for having a stock rear skidplate. Try finding one of those used!