PDA

View Full Version : 250 SX - Front axle question....

Marksman
06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I went to remove the front tire from my '85 SX today to find that the axle does not want to unscrew. I've removed the four bolts holding the "front axle holder", but when I try to thread out the axle, I meet with great resistance. Is this a common occurrence? Do I just need to turn it harder? I don't want to strip anything out. Is it common to need a breaker bar to remove the axle? I would not think that it should have this much resistance to turning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason125m
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Impact gun is definitely recommended, but most of the time I use a 24" breaker bar. I've never been able to crack one free with just a ratchet.

Goodluck!

Marksman
06-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Impact gun is definitely recommended, but most of the time I use a 24" breaker bar. I've never been able to crack one free with just a ratchet.

Goodluck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll just crank on it a little harder!!!

Troyg25
06-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I would spray it down with some liquid wrench or something along those lines and let it sit. Try the pry bar. If that doesn't work out for ya bring out the big ol pipe wrench. I know what you mean when you get a lot of force down on that bar and see it bend. Good luck

stillhunter
06-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Use some lube for sure and let it sit, if you have heat it will help alot but be careful of the aluminum. I broke my front axle before using a bar and standing on it, ended up having to pull the tube & weld the stub to a table and use heat to get it out. Patience ,not brute force can be your friend here. Good luck

wonderboy
06-12-2014, 07:31 AM
The axle could be seized in the brake hub rather than the threads in the fork lower. I've had the best luck trying to free up bolts stuck in aluminum (typically engine mount bolts in the case)by using an impact wrench and cycling back and forth (tighten - loosen - tighten - loosen). I'd hit the bolt for 2 or 3 seconds one way and then switch back the other way. After a few minutes of doing this, you usually will start to see a few degress of movement. Then I start hitting it with the PB blaster and continue with the cycling. Eventually, you'll start getting a bit more rotation of the bolt until eventually, it will free up.

Marksman
06-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice.