PDA

View Full Version : Traded a 4 wheeled thingy for my first 81 250r =)

CodyRosa
06-11-2014, 11:06 PM

Trade a good condition 97 300ex for this 250r! Shes a little greasy.. but otherwise all there.. stickers are there still.. over all a very tight machine. Everythings in great shape. 250sx front end i think? Looks like a 200x front hub.. they put some pipe for the spacers to fit the hub. Has a richtor privateer muffler as well!

I checked compression and it was 120.. which i saw they are supposed to be 142-170.. =( Runs great though! Smokes my cousins wheeler that does 55.

CodyRosa
06-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Forgot to mention.. i got maiers 250r plastics and a 83 200x parts machine. Almost complete except foot pegs, tank, and plastics. I am parting this out so if anybody needs parts PM me!

Bren_downe
06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Hard to tell in your pic but it might be the original forks. Your tank sticker is wrong but other than that sounds like a good score.
Congratulations!

CodyRosa
06-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Oh really? I assumed the forks and triples were a 250sx.. they are very wide! Well whatever they are they used a different hub and im glad.. i hate the fat front tire! I thought the sticker on the tank was wrong but thought maybe the 81s had that one. rear plastic has a crack. I'm just happy to be back into trikes.. havent road one in probably a year or so!

Bren_downe
06-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Looks like a 250sx headlight, but the 81-82 R's had a 22x11x8 front, so yeah big tire.
Check out "Air foolers . Com" and expand your knowledge!
The 81-82R front end is also a direct swap for first gen 200x.

CodyRosa
06-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Is it really? the parts machine has good forks and triples.. i even have triples for a 3rd gen 250r.. to bad those are not direct swap! I may end up doing that if the bearings are still good.. or i'll wait till bearings go bad. The triples are so wide with the skinny tire on it. Thanks for the knowledge Bren!

atc300r
06-12-2014, 06:55 AM
x2 on the front end being oem 81 250r. Other than the hub and rim ,tire. Also x2 on the 200x front end swaping over. You will have to grind or file down the streeing stop a little on the 200x lower triple Nice score.

CodyRosa
06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
i was trying to get the forks out of the X.. and I broke the little valve thing on the top (where you can put air in).. the fluid shot me in the face haha.. so can I buy a new valve? I see it uses a 10MM to take it out so I'm assuming I can.. then would i just fill it with the fluid again and put air or does someone need to pressurize it??

DohcBikes
06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Read your service manual cody.

Recommended amt. and weight of fork oil. Prolly ~ 2-10 psi air, use a bike pump or a regulated air source to avoid damage.

When you checked compression did you hold the throttle wide open....

CodyRosa
06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Yup throttle wide open.. it doesn't matter now.. Locked the darn thing up! It locked up right as I let off the throttle so i'm guessing I let off to quick as I was doing well over 50.. and she just lost power. Had to push it home a mile.. bet the neighbors loved that haha. Oh well.. I'm buying a piston and ring today and i'll have my local shop bore it for me! Get myself a fresh top end on her! Everything looks good on the inside.. Just not the piston ;)

BOB MARLIN
06-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Are you sure thats an '81 and not an '82 ?.

Jason125m
06-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Are you sure thats an '81 and not an '82 ?.

Good eye, Disc rear brake says it is an 82, or atleast an 82 swingarm.

CodyRosa
06-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Youre quite right.. its an 82 =) The guy told me it was an 81.. also told me it was bored 0.30 over.. Guess what stock bore and an 82. Someone told me last night after I told him i had disk brakes. I have the air scoops on the frame to.

sick85crownvic
06-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a good deal you got there. I've yet to own a 250r but have a love affair with them anyway! I rode one when I was 12...I wasn't supposed to but did anyway...throttle stuck wide open in first gear and amazingly, I had the presence of mind to hold the kill switch and yank the front brake to the bars(no rear brakes!) and managed to come to a stop inches from a fence that would've ruined my day in more ways than one. I've loved'em ever since....sounds like the R may be a little on the lean side...all the kids around here have their two stroke bikes running on the lean side and every time they ride when the temp is below 60ish, they burn up a top end....they didn't believe me that it was due to running lean....but the one kid figured after 4 wiseco pistons in 2 seasons, maybe he'd try jetting it....it was the magic trick. Usually I see them develop a little hot spot and they ring will often get pinched in the piston and lose compression...but it was cool seeing 4 forged pistons look like they liquefied in an attempt to escape into the exhaust.

It's always the same thing with them, get'em up to speed, lay off and that's all she wrote. Okay, that's enough rambling, good luck with it and let us know what kind of beast it is when you get it all put back together! lol

-Don