PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use the Social Media Site "Linkedin"?

coolpool
06-11-2014, 11:48 PM
I was wondering how many other people use that site? Im not a huge fan of Facebook and reluctantly signed up for Linkedin after receiving a lot of connection requests at work. My main purpose was to expand my network of peers for industry related contacts. Forbes magazine states that it's a good way to get recruited when shopping for a job. I did manage to connect with web3wheels just from knowing his name from a sales transaction; we laughed at what a small world it is. If anyone would like to connect, PM me and we'll get'r'done.

El Camexican
06-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Been putting it off, but based on who I know that uses it, it seems to be the mature place for social media. One of these days I'll do it.

JasonB
06-12-2014, 09:30 AM
im on there, its actually been an awesome site! I dont use it like facebook, more so just to connect with other industry professionals and work related people. Nov 2012 i found my current job on there; was browsing and found a company that was looking and ended up being hired on as a consultant. That site really helped me out, sounds cheesy but im serious. I connect with physicians and other recruiters on there mostly. i dont post anything though its not like facebook where i constatnly share retarded videos and stupid pics lol

coolpool
06-12-2014, 11:07 AM
im on there, its actually been an awesome site! I dont use it like facebook, more so just to connect with other industry professionals and work related people. Nov 2012 i found my current job on there; was browsing and found a company that was looking and ended up being hired on as a consultant. That site really helped me out, sounds cheesy but im serious. I connect with physicians and other recruiters on there mostly. i dont post anything though its not like facebook where i constatnly share retarded videos and stupid pics lol

Well said JasonB! We are now connected; it's interesting how we share some of the same job descriptions even though our fields are polar opposites.

The_Steve_Man
06-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I am looking for another job. I am on it but never done anything with it. I will be giving a try.

Billy Golightly
06-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I use it but not very seriously. Basically if someone types my name in to "check me out" I make sure theres enough on there for me to look legit and thats about all I bother with.

I can see the value in it as a tool though.

shovelryder
06-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I just registered....Never really knew what it was. Can sure see the value.....although I love my job, and my company treats me incredible....Hope I never have the need!

JayBone
06-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I have been on it for yrs. WAY before FB. I look for jobs on there from time to time.
I REALLY NEED A NEW JOB! I'M BORED OUT OF MY MIND!

desertlizard
06-12-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm on there never check it though, after seeing this I logged on had 20 invites.
Ha!
Seems useful though gonna try check it more often.
DL

rdlsz24
06-12-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm on there.... I get messages from head hunters about once a week telling me about new job offers. (I write software)

Rob

coolpool
06-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I use it but not very seriously. Basically if someone types my name in to "check me out" I make sure theres enough on there for me to look legit and thats about all I bother with.

I can see the value in it as a tool though.

Sent you an invite Billy, first name Pete

tri again
06-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I wasn't happy with the people I "associated" with.
Being in the medical field, I got hits, no pun intended,
from all kinda of 'medical suppliers'.
Maybe not as absurd as FB but, lots of news about who can see who
you're associated with, for whatever reason, real or imagined.
Now CNN is saying if you google something like 'heart disease',
it goes on your permanent record of suspected preexisting conditions and
could cancel your health insurance, again, real or imagined.