PDA

View Full Version : want to use 36mm mikuni on Z NEED HELP!

adamszwheeler
06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Ok so I want to use a 36mm Mikuni off a 1978 Kawasaki Invader sled, think its a powerjet, on my stage 1 Z with power reeds and DG xtreme pipe and silencer... My questions are does anyone know exactly what Mikuni this is or definite part #'s for gaskets and lever choke, preferably a plastic lever similar to factory on a tri-z?? I have seen the levers available at various websites online for a VM carb. Also the line going into outlet/ motor side- What is that for??? This was originally a 2 carb set up, that line connects to the other carb and they have a single line coming off of that. Is that a vacuum or something else and do I need that to have this carb work properly? Can I chamfer that hole, weld it and then machine it clean again?? It also looks like there is cracking near the choke, abve where it says "japan" and below "mikuni" is that cracking or imperfection in the cast? Both of these carbs have almost the exact same marks. Should I try and clean it up and weld it? I have had mixed luck with cast aluminum in the past using 5356 filler and argon. Most importantly what do you think of a 36mm with my mods??? I need this bike last week!!!! Should I just buy a new carb?????? I really like the idea of the powerjet set up but......:crazy:

adamszwheeler
06-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Here are a couple more pics...

350for350
06-12-2014, 07:34 PM
I admit that I know next to nothing about sleds. If I had to guess, I'd say that the line on the engine side of the slide would be for vacuum, possibly to operate a vacuum powered fuel pump. The line on the filter side of the slide, I have no guesses about. In my opinion, it sounds like you're wanting to do a lot of work that may not work to a carb that is kind of an oddball, at least to us. I'd suggest finding one that is from a motorcycle or atv.

stoshu
06-12-2014, 09:42 PM
The hose on the engine side was for a primer. Fuel pump vacuum would have come from bottom of crankcase.

adamszwheeler
06-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys, im going with a new Mikuni VM 36mm. I thought about it and instead of trying to save a few bucks and beat my head against the wall i might as well get something i can find parts for and that wont give me issues.