PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

Swanny12
06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
So i recently had the top end rebuilt on my 84 homda atc 200s they changed the cam chain and now it leaks oil through the recoil starter. Please any help would be greatfully appreciated.

wonderboy
06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
There is a seal on the crankshaft behind the flywheel that is pressed into the side cover. It keeps the oil from the crankcase from entering into the recoil / stator area.

Is it a one-time occurrence, or after you clean it out, does it fill up again?

One of two things happened: 1. They damaged the seal during the work, or 2. They removed it and forgot to put a new one back in.

The only way to inspect the seal is to remove the recoil and flywheel. Sounds like you need to pay your repairman a visit.

Swanny12
06-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Ok thanks for the help. Would i beable to put the seal in myself or does it need to be pressed?

Swanny12
06-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Oh and it leaks out of the bottom of the recoil because the hole for the bolt is stripped to hell

wonderboy
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Ok thanks for the help. Would i beable to put the seal in myself or does it need to be pressed?

Assuming you have a flywheel puller, it is very easy to install a seal. A nice flat block of wood or a socket of the same diameter can be used to protect the seal while you gently tap it into position with a hammer. Some (depending on where they go) are actually easy enough to install just by hand (press them in with your fingers).

The bigger issue will be getting the flywheel off. I would not recommend anything other than a proper puller. It threads into the flywheel and has a center screw that threads in to push on the end of the crankshaft and pull the flywheel off.