PDA

View Full Version : 82 Honda ATC 110 has no spark

CFAUL
06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
196187196188196189196190Hey everyone, Im new to the forum, and happy to be here. I have a unique situation Im hoping you guys can help me out with.

I did a frame up restoration on an 82 Honda ATC 110 (Runs off CDI) The bike started right up after the first pull when I put everything back together. After a few carb adjustments, etc.. I had it running perfectly. Well I washed the bike last week, and after I finished, I tried starting it and it just kept dying immediately. I finally got it to stay idling, but when I gave it gas, it would bog out and die. So I waited about 4 hours, came back out and wham! it fired right up and ran great.

So I took it out in the country for a ride the next morning, and went thru a small water hole with mud. The bike bogged out on me, and I havnt been able to get a spark since then... Ive replaced the ignition coil, new spark plug boot, wire and plug. I have checked the kill switch wires to make sure no loose ends there. Timing is perfect and I dont have any bad grounds. Does anyone out there have any idea what could be the problem? I was thinking maybe the CDI Ignition box or primary stator coil, but I have no idea to be honest...

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks again everyone. Heres a pic of my three wheeler in case your interested :p

iTaylor
08-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Try taking some sand paper to the timing advance pick up. Also check to make sure that you don't have a stretched spring on the timing advance

DohcBikes
08-21-2014, 01:59 PM
I'll assume that you are checking for spark by grounding the plug on the head. If not, never just assume it is a spark issue.

Why did you replace the ignition coil? The wire, boot? What are the resistance readings? Just throwing parts at it? Not assuming, just asking. Diagnosis requires testing.

Please dont waste time taking any parts off until you test a known good CDI on it and do resistance test on the coils.

ps2fixer
08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
+1 for the ohm test on the coils, multimeters are cheap and have several other uses if you don't happen to already have one. There are some free online service manuals around, dont remember which member had the server link in their sig though.