PDA

View Full Version : pulse gen 84 200es low spark

iceriderdave
06-21-2014, 01:40 PM
hi was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem with my 84 200es ,,was cutting wood and went to start bike ,would not go,,later found out that the bolt in the inside middle of pulse gen was out a few turns,,i messed with it a few times and only getting a weak spark,,not sure if its timing or maybe gap.my son broke me tester,so can i do this without tester? also i can,t see any F to line up anything. i switch coil and cdi made no difference. thankyou for your time.

Flyingw
06-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Since it was running ok then not, chances are its not the timing. The pulse generator does not have anything to do with the health of the spark. Its job is to tell the CDI when to discharge the stored power. Either they work or don't work as a rule. The power that's generated in the pickup coil to discharge the CDI is tiny as compared to the charge in the CDI. Once the stored charge is released and sent to the ignition coil, its the ignition coils job to step up the voltage in the secondary side of ignition coil and fire the plug. Weak spark is actually a hard thing to confirm. Our trikes don't have a big blue snappy spark like you would see in car or truck ignition system. To determine your problem, you will need a multimeter and the book. As faulty ignition can be troubleshot by taking some resistance readings on the exciter coil on the stator as well as the pickup coil. These resistance values will give you an idea of the health of these two coils. A bad pickup coil won't generate enough voltage to fire the CDI so even if the exciter coil generates the right power and send it to the CDI to be stored, the voltage isn't there or not enough of it to fire the CDI. The book tells you what wires to put your meter on and what the values should be for a healthy ignition system. You should also change your spark plug if you haven't already. The other thing to check is your main harness ground wire. This is the green wire that bolts directly to the frame. A good frame ground is essential for a healthy ignition system.

iceriderdave
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
hi and thanks.yea i had new sparkplug but i think i am gonna take your advise and get me a new tester.i hade just bought two of my first ever trikes last summer,both run and had a lot of fun going out way far in the old back roads,but both heated and killed the sparkplugs,so now i got one all apart changed to new different shocks i bought secound hand and soon will try that one but the other i mention above was not seeing hardly any spark let alone blue which is why i do alot of my spark testing for years,lol bad eyes,by holding unto the sparkplug,,usely i get a good jolt,but not from this tike,,small jolt.o yes i also bought another one for 50 dollars,run,had in trailer for a few days,now it has no spark,so i got another wire harness old one was the worse ,,but still no luck..i will post a update soon with my results to this mystery.

mster2000
08-17-2014, 08:15 AM
hey dave, did you ever figure out or fix what was wrong? my 84200es had the same thing happen and its driving me nuts trying to fix it. i restored the br, had it running for two days, just around the house for testing purposes, parked it, next day doesnt start. checked for spark and had none. did everything i found in the posts and manual. cleaned all the ground connections did the 5 pin china cdi swap, have random spark now. does anyone know when you check the alternator resistance with the black/red wire connected or unplugged? no resistance unplugged, 800 ohms plugged. book says 200-400.

coolpool
08-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Check out this thread ice http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/166272-Another-No-Spark-on-84-BR-200es-Lot-s-of-Troubleshooting-Included?highlight=BR+spark This was my fun dealing with a no-spark BR. Turns out it was the exciter coil all along. I ordered a generic from my local dealer (Kimpex I think, $30?). After all was said and done, I replaced the exciter coil, primary coil, CDI and sparkplug. Works good now, lol.

mster2000
08-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Coolplay! big time thanks, I replaced everthing except that, didn't know they were available. it sucks so bad to get this far in a restoration and have no spark. guess its better it happened in the shop than out in the woods. I post some follow up when it happens. thanks again

mster2000
08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
199409 once its running it will get new decals, and I have an old cmp rack for the 200m front end

kb0nly
08-31-2014, 12:18 PM
On the 84 200ES i always find its the CDI thats the darn problem. You said you swapped it, but did you swap it with a known good CDI that was running on another trike? I had the same issues with mine and grabbed a spare CDI that i had, it didn't work either, grabbed another one that was NOS in box and that didn't work either. So i swapped for an aftermarket one and changed the plug on the harness and it fired the first pull. Those 200ES CDI's are iffy at best, and the older they get the worst they get. With my aftermarket CDI wired in i get a healthy bluish white spark, the original was a pitiful orange/red spark.

Crazyktmmatt
09-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I had lots of problems with my es and spark. I did a 5 pin cdi after it quit, got nothing outta that. Put a new exciter in it. It helped/ ran spark wasnt that great. I ended up buying a hot coil for it.

Thing has lots of spark now. The spark jumps atleast 1.5" now. Looks like a lightning bolt lol