PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r Need help with motor!

CodyRosa
06-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Hey guys I just picked up an 86 250r last night. I went to ride it for the first time and decided to change the oil first.. good thing I did! Came out all milky.. figured water in the crank. Changed it out rode a bit and drained again.. got a little better.. then did it one more time and it came out pure oil.. i left to let it drain. Came back and it was greenish So I can only imagine antifreeze is getting into the crankcase. I changed that out and filled it with oil but haven't started it till i get it fixed. I was reading up and I heard the only way antifreeze can get into the crankcase is from the water pump seal being bad. I just want to make sure thats true before i go and buy a seal!

The headgasket was leaking a bit when I got it.. so i purchased a top end gasket kit and put on a cosmetic gasket on the head.. well when i was slowly pushing down on the kickstart I could hear it blowing air out. Thing wont idle whatsoever.. i put a compression test on it and first kick shoots up to 60 and then starts dropping.. wont keep the compression. I noticed it was leaking worse than before with a new gasket. I can only assume head is warped.. or a cosmetic gasket is junk? ( it was a thin metal piece instead of the cardboard style with the metal ring on the inside)

Anyways Is it cheaper to buy a new head at 30 bucks or sending it in to be fixed?

Thanks for all the answers! I'm itching to really crank on this thing =)

nd4speed
06-21-2014, 11:40 PM
if you had some fine sand paper on a granite block or glass you could sand it to find the high/low (bad spots). Measure OAL of part of it to determine how much mat'l was removed like .010", .020" ect...

Same thing with cylinder if studs are removed. Then buy a thicker head gasket if possible.

You also can have a machinist deck the cylinder and deck the head and re-cut the dome and squish. Or buy a new head. Lots of options.

The milky oil is water/coolant contamination, as is water pump seal leaking into trans. Coolant leaking into cylinder only goes in the cylinder, the trans is separate.

CodyRosa
06-22-2014, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure if cylinder is warped but i do know the head is warped.. i put it on 3 different flat surfaces and it wobbles just a little bit. I may just buy a new head.. i dont wanna screw anything up! haha

Ok so i will be buying a new water pump seal it seems!

Thank you for the response!

CodyRosa
06-22-2014, 01:32 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-250-R-ATC-250R-ATC250R-OEM-WATER-PUMP-OIL-SEAL-ENGINE-MOTOR-CASES-BDT-/271457377414?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f341edc86&vxp=mtr

Is that the seal I need? There is something for 40 but this ones for 5.. so quite a difference lol.

Mosh
06-22-2014, 09:48 AM
The cometic or aftermarket fiber headgaskets are straight up junk. I never can get them to seal.
Take the head to a machine shop and have them deck it just enough to make it flat. Get the Oem gasket and you should be good and use torque specs.

You need the 40$ mechincal seal. Make sure the shaft is not grooved on the pump and check your balancer gear for losseness while the clutch cover is off.