PDA

View Full Version : Should coolant lines be touching the pipe/motor/radiators?

Racer-X
06-28-2014, 09:11 AM
I just wanted to see if anyone else's coolant lines are touching or pressed up against the actual cylinder head or exhaust pipe? I recently got an 85" 250r and I changed the coolant lines to red lines and I noticed that the old coolant line was leaning against the radiator and when I put the new red hose on it does the same thing on the left radiator. But they're also touching the engine a little bit and one is kinda pitched by the FMF fatty pipe and the cylinder head. I need to take the tank and pipe off again and maybe trim the hose a little shorter so it doesn't look pinched and has a smooth bend but getting them to where they aren't actually touching and leaning on hot sh*t looks impossible?

I'm just wondering is this normal and ok or am I going to melt my new coolant lines?

Flyingw
06-28-2014, 02:15 PM
You most certainly don't want contact with the pipe. I put blue hoses on one of mine last year and had to make some adjustments because one of the hoses was touching the pipe. The cylinder isn't as much of a big deal.

Racer-X
06-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I figured that the rad and the head might not be a big deal but I was more worried about the exhaust . I didn't notice how close they were before but its definitely leaning on the pipe hard enough to bend it. 'm glad I didn't run it to check for leaks or anything yet.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I would just put the old hose back on but of coarse that was the only hose that didn't pop right off and I had to slice both ends to get it off. Every time something is supposed to bolt right on as OEM it always requires some fabrication on this trike?

BOB MARLIN
06-29-2014, 09:41 AM
If you went with the silicon hoses the heat won't be a problem. 2 strokes don't get that hot. The problem will be from the hoses rubbing against something and wearing a hole in it. The aftermarket hoses don't fit as well as the oem, especially on the left side. Watch for "kinks" in the hose. The last set I put on I had to cut at least 2" of the left side hose to get it to fit without kinking up. The right side hose gets pined between the pipe and the head/cyl. Zip tie a piece of old hose in that spot to keep it from wearing through the new hose.