PDA

View Full Version : Some people are exceptionally gifted...

lokisbuddy
06-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Ok so it was a slow day today just working on my current restoration (85 cr250) and this guy comes in with a 96 RM250 he says its a dog out of the hole and he would like it to be fixed for his son to ride. I said sure leave it here and come by at the end of the day for the verdict. He says ok and would I mind if his son stayed to help as he was a whiz with engines, I'm thinking "if he is such a whiz with engines why is he not fixing his own damn bike?" well I agreed since I figured maybe he could speed things up by doing small tasks for me lol well I ask the kid to check the compression on the bike while I go grab some gaskets and oil from the polebarn I told him all the tools he will need are on the workbench. I come back in with the oil and gaskets and I trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro you not this kid has his ear by the jug and was kicking it over by hand he sees me and says compression sounds good to me... this kid was such a natural that he could hear that it was good. well I decided to mess with him for a second and asked him if he could check out the powerband for me he pulled the carb off and was inspecting the reed cage lol turns out one of the "Power bands had a crack in it" new reeds (well used reeds from my shelf) and a set of rings and the bike is screaming I just thought I would share because if this 18 year old kid can hear compression readings in his head. and I cant I think im gonna quit wrenchin...

DohcBikes
06-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Oh, well you might as well put the wrenches down Justin because these days every kid under the age of 22 knows how to do everything already. They use the interwebs to watch videos, discuss opinions, and spread so much second and third hand knowledge that there is just no way for us to show them anything anymore, they know it all already.

And yes it is a thousand times worse than 20 years ago and getting worse by the minute. Another wonderful side effect of overpopulation, masses of "educated" idiots.

Not to pick on my buddy James, but hes a youngster as well, and he may well read this lol... Him and his buddy Neal are always telling me how they're gonna put this motor in that machine and whatnot, and every time the description of the work includes the word 'easy'. Again, not to pick on em, but the only work i've seen Neal do is wire a headlight, and when he came back it wasn't lit.

I can think of a couple sub-20 year old members here that believe they are the absolute gift to mechanics, but when they show their work, it looks like a couple 10 year olds got together and painted their bicycles.

The main ingredient missing: PATIENCE. We live in the reset generation, where you can just push a button and start over when you dont pass a level. These kids pick something up, and if it cant be "mastered" in five seconds, they move to the next thing. Little do they know they are wasting precious time.

Hey youngsters, STFU, because you got a lot to learn. End Rant?

El Camexican
06-29-2014, 09:46 AM
I’ll have you guys know that to the highly trained ear piston ring leakage can be detected and a compression value can be ascertained. By simply listening to the amount of air passing by the rings once they are above the exhaust port and assigning them a “pssssst” value it becomes simple math. If you don’t know how to determine psssst value I’m not going to waste my time explaining it, you can looking it up on the Internet, or just ask any 18 year old.

One then needs only to multiply it by diameter of the piston (in this case likely 70mm) and divide the result by the wheelbase of the vehicle to determine how much leak down the rings have and with that number you just multiply it by the cc of the engine to determine how may PSI of compression the engine has.

I suggest you stop being so jaded and start paying a little more attention to what this new generation has to offer, soon they will be running things.:rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Thank god the day will never come that my trikes need a laptop.....

lokisbuddy
06-29-2014, 05:35 PM
I’ll have you guys know that to the highly trained ear piston ring leakage can be detected and a compression value can be ascertained. By simply listening to the amount of air passing by the rings once they are above the exhaust port and assigning them a “pssssst” value it becomes simple math. If you don’t know how to determine psssst value I’m not going to waste my time explaining it, you can looking it up on the Internet, or just ask any 18 year old.

One then needs only to multiply it by diameter of the piston (in this case likely 70mm) and divide the result by the wheelbase of the vehicle to determine how much leak down the rings have and with that number you just multiply it by the cc of the engine to determine how may PSI of compression the engine has.

I suggest you stop being so jaded and start paying a little more attention to what this new generation has to offer, soon they will be running things.:rolleyes:

lmfao you know what brother I think you just put me in my place ;)

slashfan7964
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
My god this is probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

El Camexican
07-01-2014, 06:37 PM
My god this is probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh young Slashfan, here I was thinking your post was gonna be a rant about old dudes calling down you young bucks and painting you all with the same brush. Well shame on me and kudos to you for having a great sense of "haha":beer.

danbur55
07-01-2014, 09:11 PM
i thought he was putting you in your disPLACEment lol
lmfao you know what brother I think you just put me in my place ;)

slashfan7964
07-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Oh young Slashfan, here I was thinking your post was gonna be a rant about old dudes calling down you young bucks and painting you all with the same brush. Well shame on me and kudos to you for having a great sense of "haha":beer.

I am ashamed to call myself part of the generation thats full of stuck up little boys and know it alls haha. You guys rip on us all you want! I ain't afraid to learn! :lol: :p

But I am glad not all of us are that way *cough*me*cough* :D

jakep53
07-02-2014, 08:33 AM
I am ashamed to call myself part of the generation thats full of stuck up little boys and know it alls haha. You guys rip on us all you want! I ain't afraid to learn! :lol: :p

But I am glad not all of us are that way *cough*me*cough* :D

don't worry slash you are not the only one that is ashamed "to call myself part of the generation thats full of stuck up little boys and know it alls" I agree bash us all you want I still got many things to learn!! But I am glad not all of us are that way *cough*US*cough*

slashfan7964
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
It would appear we are not the only people that can't seem to figure out how things work.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10372582_10152233284518310_5753952701585202810_n.j pg?oh=927d4f48ea0bd43b2d852e1f5ed115db&oe=5411215E

czac
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
next time don't ask him if the Compression is good, ask him what it is! ...lol

We had a guy complaining about the surface finish on a valve that was supposed to be 15 RA but he said was "definitely not".
The guy who does our machining work says to him, "so how do you know the surface finish isn't 15 RA?" the guy comes back with, "I ran my finger over it and can feel it" so the machine shop guy goes, "Oh and has your finger been calibrated recently?" lol... you can hear that guys face turning red. lol

czac
07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
It would appear we are not the only people that can't seem to figure out how things work.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10372582_10152233284518310_5753952701585202810_n.j pg?oh=927d4f48ea0bd43b2d852e1f5ed115db&oe=5411215E

lol,lol,lol... I just watched a documentary on the Detroit FD and in it there's a part where a new director takes over the Fire Dept and one of his first things he had to do was to look at how the FD could save money so they can buy new equipment because Detroit is so broke they cant afford new stuff, even the basics like toilet paper for the fire houses... so he goes.. "You stand here telling me you need new equipment and that you don't understand why the city cant afford to get you new equipment, when one of you guys, parked a ladder truck on the train tracks and let it get hit by a train and another one drove a truck under a low bridge and turned it into a convertible!"