PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r Front fork seals

CodyRosa
06-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey guys my 86 R has a very squishy front end! I changed out the oil for ATF and it helped a ton.. sags about an inch just sitting there and 2 inches with me on it. Used to sag about 6 inches though. The seals were leaking after pushing down on the front so they need replacing.

I ended up buying new seals but have no clue how to install them. I have taken the spring out.. the Allen bolt on the bottom and still have no clue how to install these. Also once I replace the seals how do I stiffen these forks up? I'd rather not add air and blow the seals out again.

Thanks for any help!

CodyRosa
06-28-2014, 09:55 PM
OK well I finally figured out the seals.. I wasn't sire if they were under the dust seals or not. Now I'm just curious as to how do I make the front end a little stiffer? Besides a heavier fluid. Or just so it sits where it should when I sit on it.

jakep53
06-29-2014, 07:42 AM
you can make a spacer to go under the springs to stiffen it up!!

Poco Loco
06-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Cut a little piece of pvc pipe the same diameter of the springs and take your caps off and put the spacer on top of your spring and cap it off. You can adjust the stiffness with the lenght of pvc added. Just remember not to take out all the sag. You need a bit of dropout for the front end to perform right.

CodyRosa
06-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Good ideas! i wasn't sure if i could do that.. I know what i'll be buying now lol.. some pvc!