PDA

View Full Version : 84 honda 200x sprocket upgrade

KevinJ97
06-30-2014, 02:10 AM
I ordered a new set of sprockets for my 200x. The new sprockets are 13 to 38. Should i expect a faster wear on them than stock size sprockets? Also my old sprockets are 13 to 40 and 22in tires. With these i wasnt able to get the front end of the bike up. Gladly though. Would the new sprockets give the bike power to lift front end?? Please and thanks!

wonderboy
06-30-2014, 07:00 AM
If extra front end lifting power is what you're after, you've gone the wrong way. The smaller sprocket in back takes away torque in favor or speed. So now you'll have even less tendancy to lift the front end, and more top end.

As for wear, I don't think the sprocket size will really affect that much. Sprocket material and maintenance (to a lesser extent) will affect wear.

KevinJ97
06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Oh nice. Exactly what i wanted. To my best interest i want to keep my front tire down. I should be getting my parts in today. Well say how they play out.

Also i had thought that the decrease in size of the rear sprocket actually increased torque, because it would require the front sprocket to rotate less for the rear to push the 38 as to the 40.

pipeline triker
06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Make sure you put a new chain on right away also. Other wise the chain will tear up your new sprockets pretty quick. 13/38 with 22's on a first gen X is pretty high gearing, for anything but trailriding and high speed riding. I think that is stock gearing.

M.Pargiello
06-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Mine has stock size replacement sprockets and 22's. In some of the faster trails here I find myself needing more out of it. Got a 38 and a 35 on their way to play with :) Maybe now I will stop trying to get into 6th haha. I should get off my butt and XR swap the tranny.

This (http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/) should help tell you what will happen.

KevinJ97
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM
I got my parts in and its a whole set of new sprockets and new chain. . Also stock gearing for first gen x is actually 12 to 40.

KevinJ97
06-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Well i took a look at my parts and i think i have ordered second gen x parts because it has a 4 bolt pattern on the rear sprocket instead of having the 5 bolts. What sprocket stay can i swap out for mine so i could use this sprocket with 4 bolt and not return the part?? And the sprocket stay i need has to fit an 84 200x.