PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Solenoid opinions

GSUwhiskers
07-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey I was wondering how you guys felt about aftermarket solenoids for trikes, mine still works but when the bike gets wet it won't start so I've found several for around 10 dollars and want opinions please.

Flyingw
07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I've bought several of those, no issues!!! The not working when you bike gets wet could be the start button on the left bar control. Corroded contacts will act like that. Take the bar control back shell off and get some electrical contact cleaner spray from your auto parts store and shoot the inside of the bar control. Soak it down and blow it out. Exercise the switches while they're still wet.

GSUwhiskers
07-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Okay I will! But my electric start doesn't work as is for some reason... I haven't gotten around to investigating that issue yet but corroded contacts were mentioned before. My battery is from a time long long ago lol, previous owners (my cousin) didn't really upkeep the poor babe. So I might go ahead and check my contacts when I'm working on it next weekend, I'm sure they are corroded, but also hopefully test the starter and see if I can't find the weak link(s). Putting in an order tonight for the clutch kit, solenoid and front brake cable. Any experience replacing that cable?

GSUwhiskers
07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
I just realized it was the ignition coil I'm looking for not the starter solenoid, I actually don't know if it works at all and since I haven't tested the starter or electric start system I'm gonna wait on that and get the ignition coil.

briano
07-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Ah yes, the starter solenoid and ignition coil are hard to tell apart sometimes

GSUwhiskers
07-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Is that sarcasm or are you being serious?

GSUwhiskers
07-02-2014, 10:07 PM
The small rubber boots on top of my coil are in bad shape and I was wondering if that's a reason my machine won't start if it is wet? What can I do about this? Also on the left side (if you're sitting on it) of the motor there are wires going into the motor and at one time they had a small rubber boot on them also. The boot is now gone so I used liquid tape around the base of the wires. I was just wondering if there's something else I need to do to protect it?

sledcrazyinCT
07-03-2014, 07:34 AM
coils are cheap and easy to replace, getting new boots would cost the same replacing the coil, then you can eliminate one piece of the system known to be good.

BTW that was definitely sarcasm since a coil and solenoid look nothing alike, I assume you typed in the wrong word and know the difference between the two components:p

GSUwhiskers
07-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah I've already ordered the coil, but the connections on top will still be exposed because the boots are not included with it. So what I'm asking is, if those connections get wet will it cause problems starting the bike?

Flyingw
07-04-2014, 07:43 PM
No, don't worry about the boots not being there.

GSUwhiskers
07-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Good to know. Thank you again Flyingw