PDA

View Full Version : Fixed ??? Z kick Start

adamszwheeler
07-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Well it's welded... crack closed up good and it welded decent too. We will see how it goes, hope I can at least get the summer out of it...this thing has me tapped out!!!

elvetost
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Looks like a job well done man!
How does the case feel? Did it pull at all while welding? Used a straight edge on it?
Looks like you ground it nice and deep and done a REALLY good job on the welds! Again well done man.
Should hold nice now actually.
:)

adamszwheeler
07-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Feels solid. Pretty confident that it will get me through summer. It didnt pull at all. Those frame/ waffle tables act as a really good heat sink especially when welding aluminum. I tacked it did a little welding then kept soaking the water pump in about 2 inches of water to keep the seal from frying and it also pulled the heat from the weld area with out quenching it. The tables are also precision ground within about 1 thousand of level so it makes for easy work on anything to know when you are lined up. The grinding I just took it down close and filed the rest. Might have lost a couple thousands here and there but I bought a tube of rtv gasket stuff I'm gonna use to fill it all in. Couldn't fill all the cracking so that's my only concern- cracks crack so hopefully they dont give til late winter.

tommerp
07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Nice job .. .Mine broke like that about a year ago. The bolts were loose, I didn't realize it, and the kicker fell off with the small cover when I went to start it in the woods... I was lucky enough to find a new OEM one at the time.... Since then I've picked up another one as a spare.... looks like they are getting pretty price and rare now

adamszwheeler
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
One of my local Yamaha dealers said they could have me one brand new by the end of the month for $255. I can't afford that. There is one on ebay but they want more than the brand new one lmfao! All I can say it's easier to call your dealer first than to over pay and get a part that's probably fatigued and that's only after you try and fix it first! This is a tough call, just like wondering if the cast was gonna weld or not I will only know if this is gonna work after it's all back together. Fingers are crossed!

adamszwheeler
07-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Well got it all back together. Holding up well. Gonna take her out for a few hours in the morning eveyone wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed!!!

elvetost
07-04-2014, 06:03 AM
good luck and fingers crossed!

adamszwheeler
07-05-2014, 10:46 PM
http://youtu.be/fgrQNqv9d70

adamszwheeler
07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
There it is in action...still needs carb tuning...took it out for a few hours yesterday....went well and super fun!!! Fix seems to be holding up just fine.

Red Rider
07-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Nice job on the welding. I hope it holds up well for you.