PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Warrior Knocking Sound

ebaccm26
07-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Have a Yamaha Warrior I have been working on for a while and just got it finished up today but it's not looking good. When riding it makes a knocking sound. The sound only happens when the clutch is engaged. I also ran the quad on a stand and the noise also does not appear to happen when the quad it not under load. Was getting pretty late so I didn't pull the clutch cover today but I will check it out tomorrow. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Crank bearings, messed up gears, worn clutch parts? Could be un-related but while riding I also felt some small little jerks.

6speedthumper
07-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Sounds more like you can trans issues. Could be clutch issues, but, the clutch is super simple on those bikes. Have you changed the oil? Find any metal, or aluminum shavings in it? I've had two instances of counter gear bearings going bad in these engines. Requires splitting the cases. I'd pull the clutch cover and inspect the clutch. Also, see if there is any up and down play in the crank bearing on that side. You can also pull the stator cover off and inspect that crank bearing, too.

ebaccm26
07-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Drained the oil and pulled out the oil filter, thing was covered in metal shavings. Pulled the clutch cover and the stator cover and didn't see any obvious problems. Looks like I have a transmission problem :(. If anyone happens to have a good bottom end for one of these things let me know!

6speedthumper
07-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Go to yfm350.com Lots of good Warrior folks over there.

ebaccm26
07-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I actually made an account and put up a wanted ad there last night lol.

ps2fixer
09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
For the metal flakes, take a magnet to them. If it sticks, it is steel (gears and such), if they don't stick, then AL....

What year do you have? I have an 86 or 87 parts engine laying around that don't run (no spark), I would think the transmission gears are good though.

ebaccm26
09-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I have already replaced the bottom end, the flakes did come from a gear buy I didn't open it up to check which one.