PDA

View Full Version : 1986 200x F&S Project

HoustonAE2
07-05-2014, 11:59 AM
So I am officially hooked! This week I purchased three boxes and a rolling chassis to build with my son and daughter. Offically it will be my son's trike so his sister can get his Outlaw 90. Here are the first round of pictures.

Right now my biggest concern is getting the motor up and running.

HoustonAE2
07-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Here are the pictures

DohcBikes
07-05-2014, 12:45 PM
That is not an 86, its an 85....but congratulations! Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

HoustonAE2
07-05-2014, 12:57 PM
It was hard to read the tag. I was wanting an 85, but yea anyway I do have my work cut out for me. Hell that is half the fun of it!

DohcBikes
07-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Ya that tag could always be from another bike so the best way to check the year is by the v.i.n. stamp on the neck. 10th digit will be 'F'.

The first generation 200x is by far my favorite model.

HoustonAE2
07-05-2014, 02:08 PM
I am researching motors. Can a dirtbike motor fit into this? I have the bottom end but am missing the complete top end of the motor and carb...trying to get into this with as little money as possible...

bigezee
07-05-2014, 02:53 PM
..trying to get into this with as little money as possible...

Not gonna happen...

But as long as it is fun then it is worth it, right!! This is pretty addicting I must say. This has been almost a treasure hunt looking for parts for these things. That is part of the fun i guess.. My 86 200x motor is almost done getting rebuilt to almost new condition at the cost of almost 1K. Your 85 should be cheaper than mine as it isn't as rare and parts should be easier to come by.

To save you a lot of money and headache you outta find one that is more complete and running, what I should have done, and save what you have for parts for later. Any motor work, especially with missing motor parts, will be outrageous. Have Fun!!

DohcBikes
07-05-2014, 04:52 PM
^what he said. We see the pics, you ain't gonna get by cheap brother. Your bike needs completely rebuilt. There are approximately 379 motor options for the 1st gen X, ALL of which will require some fabrication to work. Dont use a dirt bike motor, unless it is electric start, because the kicker is backwards.

RPMRestorations
07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
crf 230 motor bolts right in!

DohcBikes
07-05-2014, 10:08 PM
crf 230 motor bolts right in!ya, the motor alone, it sure does. But as I said, it requires fabrication to make several other components work. Experience in the area provides this knowledge. Considering the mistake on the year, I'll assume this is the o.p.'s first ever 200x. He needs to know that its not all cookies and rainbows to use anything other than a stock engine.

sledcrazyinCT
07-05-2014, 10:26 PM
make it an auto X you should be able to find a donor trike that runs for cheap. Do a search there is lots of build advice for an auto X

HoustonAE2
07-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I have considered the autoX option...but then again if I want that I will just ride my SX :D

Yes this is my first 200x project, which is why I choose the first gen 200x

I found a few complete motors for the 200x, seeing to condition of my motor I think that is the best route to go.

And keep in mind when I say cheap, I really mean less than going to the dealership and buying new. I want my son and daughter to know how to fix. These as they are the ones that got me into ATVs

HoustonAE2
07-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Okay I have a serious question for the experts on this site. Since my motor is needing replacement would you go with an 85 or an 86 motor? No matter what I go with it will be torn down and freshened up at a local shop, but which one to go with? I know the 86 was a redesign year for the Hondas, but is there any real advantage with going to the 86?

bigezee
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Not an expert but will it bolt right in? Anything will fit I guess with a torch and a welder. Not sure but if your gonna get an 86 motor, might as well build up a 2nd gen 200X. Just sayin. Good luck on a good used 86 motor. I had to buy two just to make one good one, thanks to Captainweezy!! Ok, now the experts can chime in.

HoustonAE2
07-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Okay my head is spinning! Right now i am leaning towards keeping the parts on this project i want for my 250sx and parting out the rest for cheap. Thoughts?

I am considering swaping the front end to my 250sx. Since I have the forks, triple tree, disk, caliber, master cylinder and a good wheel I think I can do this in a day. That and my rims on the 250sx are in bad shape so swapping out the rims would be worth the cost of the project.

Looking for some parts:D

yaegerb
07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Okay I have a serious question for the experts on this site. Since my motor is needing replacement would you go with an 85 or an 86 motor? No matter what I go with it will be torn down and freshened up at a local shop, but which one to go with? I know the 86 was a redesign year for the Hondas, but is there any real advantage with going to the 86?

An 86 motor will not bolt right in. I prefer the first gen motors due to numerous upgrade capabilities and if the oil is changed on regular intervals they will last forever. If this is a father/son project I would buy a manual and start wrenching together, those motors aren't that tough to disassemble/find parts for and rebuild.

DohcBikes
07-19-2014, 02:33 PM
^^^everything yaegerb said. Don't rule out a chinese engine.

May I suggest 230cc's with an electric starter and reverse......

There are even water cooled bolt in options. ALL would require SOME fabrication, but they can be had for next to nothing. After parting the quad my engine came in, I paid $75 for the one you see above.

torker
01-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Zongshen or lifan 200cc or 230cc are very, very good engines that will easily bolt on your 200X. 5 speeds, manual clutch. Some have kick starters (not good as they are backwards), all are electric start.
They put decent amount of power 15-17hp depending on the specs (I like OHC motors), very comparable with the 200x's engine. All are not equal, but chinese engines will do you good. Prices have skyrocketed on those engines, but you can still find them new for what a used 200x top end with new piston and gaskets will be.
You wont be disappointed. You still have a complete rolling chassis to re-build with your kids, plus installing whatever engine you choose + all the wiring. Still plenty of work if you ask me.
Go ahead, do it!
Enjoy.

TORKER.

86125m
01-09-2015, 11:08 PM
You have a good start though the frame and the parts you have already look to be in good shape I personally would find all the parts to rebuild the original motor. The 230 engine would be amazing but you would have to have all the electrical as well and I dont see those motors come up to often.

sledcrazyinCT
01-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Okay my head is spinning! Right now i am leaning towards keeping the parts on this project i want for my 250sx and parting out the rest for cheap

This is what happened to the 200x