PDA

View Full Version : My latest NOS score..sorry it wasn't a trike, but really cool just the same!!!

dougspcs
07-06-2014, 07:30 AM
I responded to an add on Kijiji a couple hours way in Toronto..

Seller had a NOS 1975 Johnson 4HP outboard, tank and hose.

Story goes that his dad worked the Canadian National Exhibition during the 70s. After the event closed he would cruise the exhibits and buy up demo items from the displays as the exhibitors packed up..

So anyway he bought this from the Johnson dealer, then took it home and put it in his garage. His dad passed in 1978 while he was in western Canada and all dad's garage belongings were moved to his grandmothers garage where they remained for the last 38 years..

When his grandmothers passed this year he started cleaning thru his dad's hoard..
He listed and I bought this little beauty for $580..

It's never seen the back of a boat and not even been run..the original tank that came with is still dry and the hose is still in it's original packaging!

I just don't know whether to run it or continue to preserve it..a true once a decade find!!

atc007
07-06-2014, 08:21 AM
My goodness. And it could not have went to a nicer guy. That is just absolutely stunning. You know what my vote would be as to let it eat water or preserve it! What are there, 15 million other USED ones out there :D:D. I can smell the new through the screen :) Congrats again. Jupiter signing off.

DohcBikes
07-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm with bill. Keep it New!! Really cool find, congrats!

dougspcs
07-06-2014, 09:25 AM
I think you are right Bill, much as the excitement of the thing makes me want to put it in the water..

I picked it up on my way north yesterday. We are on a week long family week with mom and my brothers family in Northern Ontario..using this time for some family healing and to remember Dad.

Anyway his boat has become my new pride and I cleaned it up and brought it for the family to enjoy..

Must fight the urge to drop this little beauty onto the back of dad's boat for trolling while we're here for the week.

I've got so little invested I could afford to hang it on the wall of the man-cave and look at it for a couple decades and let people drool!!

coolpool
07-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Great score! I'm with atc and dohc, hang it up and enjoy the possibly only NOS 4HP in existence.

ironchop
07-06-2014, 01:22 PM
I love old outboards. The stylings of some of the first few generations are fantastic, artistically speaking.

dougspcs
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I love old outboards. The stylings of some of the first few generations are fantastic, artistically speaking.

Couldn't agree more.. I had a burgundy 1956 Johnson 10HP in really good shape until I replaced with a 2000 last year. Before that a green 1957 5.5HP..two of the best motors I ever owned and I loved the style from that era..

El Camexican
07-06-2014, 06:39 PM
X 10!!!! fill them with oil and keep them new. Amazing find! Thanks for sharing Doug.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
I have an 1960 Johnson 18hp. It's not the prettiest motor out there, she has seen some use. But it runs like a watch and pushes my 13.5' rowboat to well over 20mph! Like Ironchop, the old outboards have some cool styling, just like the cars from that era. My brother had a near perfect condition '56 Johnson 10hp. Sold it a few years back, it just wasn't enough motor for his boat.

Very, VERY nice score there Doug!

dougspcs
07-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Well, I made it thru the week at the cottage up north and fought the temptation to get this little motor wet..

Happy to say it's still a virgin.

Got home last night and out to the shop today to put away all my stuff after travel and build it a little shelf above the door on which to perch..forever!!

She's now the newest NOS showpiece in my collection.

dougspcs
07-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Well, my pension toward outboards..particularly classic outboards seems to have been awakened lately. Likely due to the find I listed above..

Anyway, to explain..trikes are not my only love!! Yeah, I know I said it! Anything with a motor is awesome..and boats have always been high on that list.

I guess it's from my roots in a family always closely connected to the water..great granddad was an engineer for the then Canada Hydro projects who back in the 20s and 30s built some of the biggest hydro-electric dam projects in Canada. Ghost Dam in Alberta and Carillon Dam on the Ottawa river to name a couple.

Then his son my grandfather was my inspiration..always tinkering with something mechanical. As a boy taking us for rides in an 18 ft freight canoe with a 1961 3HP Evinrude on the back (more on that later as it's a current project with a great back story).

Anyway it carried on to my now departed Dad and then to me..

So here is my latest find to add to this collection.

I found this awesome 1965 3HP Johnson on CL the other day and knew I just had to have it to put up near my NOS 4HP..

It had been hanging on a wall in a guys man cave for 15 years on display, before that on someone elses wall..all the way back to the original owner who passed sometime in the 70s.

It has been run as I could tell by the very minor pitting in the paint on the prop and skeg, also the odour of long ago evaporated gas in the tank..were it not for that and the few marks in the paint from being moved around over the years, it could easily be mistaken for a dealer floor unit!

I'll clean it and hang it on the wall. But I may put fresh fuel in it and run it 1st..just for fun!!

Ain't she a beauty??

RIDE-RED 250r
07-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Spiffy little Johnny! :)

This guy in a movie my kids like reminds me of an old outboard......

Dave8338
07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
GREAT scores ! They'll always be worth more if they never see the water. As for the one that has been run... run it once more. Ya know, "just to make sure". :D

YTZ drew
07-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Great score, and I agree with your choice to put it on the wall. Years ago I scored a British Seagull, used but clean, for $40 at a yard sale, its headed for the wall in my man cave (once I build it of course...)