PDA

View Full Version : 200x's

Crazyktmmatt
07-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Im wanting a 200x. Pretty bad considering I havent even fixed the $100 BR yet

Is it worth holding out for 86 up version?

Or just buy a older one?

jakep53
07-13-2014, 07:19 AM
earlier models have more performance and aftermarket parts available so I would get a first gen!!

sledcrazyinCT
07-13-2014, 08:51 AM
fix the big red while looking for a 2nd gen 200x

DohcBikes
07-13-2014, 09:42 AM
1ST GEN.

They are stronger, waaaaaayyyyy easier to find parts for, more affordable comparitively.

And they are better looking too.

Don't drink the 2nd gen kool-aid, its got too much sugar in it. You'll see what I mean if you abuse one.

I'll add reasons as the 2nd gen goons come in to complain about swingarm adjusters that they probably just dont know how to operate, the round tube frame which is stronger and better looking, or the lack of a completely unneccesary 6th gear on a dirt bike. Oh lets not forget the kicker gears, theyll complain about that too, but ive owned 6 first gens and not a single one had a bad kicker.(not that it is hard to remedy if they do) Probably because the previous owners know how to kick a bike properly, and kept their bikes tuned and easy to start with the easily available parts.

sledcrazyinCT
07-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Having owned both I agree the 1st gen are a dime a dozen, way more parts for sale, therefore should be easier to buy, fix up and maintain.

Not sure how one year is better looking then the other? Blue seat or black seat, white plastics or red plastics how much different do they look across each year?

I enjoy the extra gear will take it on any trike whether 2 or 4 stroke. I would also give the 2nd gen a plus regarding suspension travel and chain adjustment. Adjusting chain tension is basic maintenance, but how many quads or other trikes use an eccentric axle carrier versus the 1st swinger chain adjustment?

I would say most three wheelers have been beat, neglected and cobbed up over the last three decades, I would consider yourself lucky to have owned 6 first gens without a crappy kicker. Almost everyone for sale near me have a faulty kicker.

As far as prices are concerned I am into my 86 for under $500, including buying a complete rear brake assembly, extra shock and swinger, and a new aftermarket rear fender.
Pretty reasonable considering another $200 bucks to go to dial it in. Granted I had to search for parts for a couple months to complete but I was not in a rush and building up on a budget. I could have BIN all the stuff on Ebay in a single day but it would have cost three times as much to do so.

Bottom line is both trikes are good and everyone has an opinion.....even the 2nd gen goons:wondering:crazy:

DohcBikes
07-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Having owned both I agree the 1st gen are a dime a dozen, way more parts for sale, therefore should be easier to buy, fix up and maintain.:)

Not sure how one year is better looking then the other? Blue seat or black seat, white plastics or red plastics how much different do they look across each year? 1st gen is way better looking. I am in full agreement with myself on this.

I enjoy the extra gear will take it on any trike whether 2 or 4 stroke. I would also give the 2nd gen a plus regarding suspension travel and chain adjustment. Rather have reverse than a sixth gear. also i dont need six forward gears to choose from. Rev it higher, the first gen motor can take it.

Adjusting chain tension is basic maintenance, but how many quads or other trikes use an eccentric axle carrier versus the 1st swinger chain adjustment? Why is the number of bikes that use any type of adjustment relevant? It's all easy, and with a simple mod, the adjusters can work much better than stock.

I would say most three wheelers have been beat, neglected and cobbed up over the last three decades, I would consider yourself lucky to have owned 6 first gens without a crappy kicker. Almost everyone for sale near me have a faulty kicker.I'm not lucky, trust me.

As far as prices are concerned I am into my 86 for under $500, including buying a complete rear brake assembly, extra shock and swinger, and a new aftermarket rear fender.
Pretty reasonable considering another $200 bucks to go to dial it in. Granted I had to search for parts for a couple months to complete but I was not in a rush and building up on a budget. I could have BIN all the stuff on Ebay in a single day but it would have cost three times as much to do so."extra" shock and swinger, thats good because when you bend that 2nd gen stamped steel piece of shlt eccentric-carrier-having swingarm, you'll need an extra. If one of them isnt already bent. As far as your investment in to a 2nd gen, YOU are the lucky one. I challenge anybody here to send me to a link for a 2nd gen for the 2 or 3 hundred dollars your math says you paid for yours.

Bottom line is both trikes are good and everyone has an opinion.....even the 2nd gen goons:wondering:crazy:Uh oh, not another sensitive one. So, if everybody has an opinion, why are you showing us where the 'bottom line' is? lol.

200x350xtriz250
07-13-2014, 01:59 PM
^ I didn't know the 1st gen came with reverse...oh yeah it didn't. 6 speed over 5, yeah I'll take it. Faster and easier chain and valve adjustment, yeah I'll take that too. Personally, I don't think it matters what gen you get, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. They are all 200x's and are all 3 wheelers. Both have plus' and minuses.
1st gen:
more plentiful
more stock & hop up parts
lousy kicker set up leading to slipping, except for DOHC, and not an easy fix for the average 200x owner
lousy chain adjustment
average suspension
average valve adjustment
several options for motor transplants

2nd gen:
6-speed gearbox
improved kicker
easy chain adjustment
easy valve adjustment
improved suspension
lousy kicker shaft strength on the '86's when decomp cable is missing or not set properly
few choices for replacement parts - specifically rear axles and gas tanks
few motor transplant options

As for a 2nd gen for under $500 - I've bought 2 and missed at least 2 others by not being fast enough. My first was $300 and just needed rear fenders - ran fine and everything worked. The other was $350 and ugly as all get out, but needed nothing - I chose to rebuild it. For me, I'll take the 2nd gen all day - DOHC add me to the list of goons/sensitive ones.

sledcrazyinCT
07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Damon chill out dude your the one with the panties all twisted. I am fine with either bike its a Honda so they are both good.

I take it another post is the reason for your goon comment. Why bring the drama to a new post? Guy wants to know pros and cons leave it to what good and bad about the bikes he asked about.

So what is the simple mod to make the swinger adjustment better over stock let us know since the 1st gen R is the same tried and true design

DohcBikes
07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
lol, you are sensitive! I was having fun. Thats why i come here. My panties are on perfectly straight thank you.

By the way, I had to have my dog put to sleep about an hour ago, so do your best to aggravate me. I got bigger issues right now.

Crazyktmmatt
07-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Ive heard a few times from a buddy that used to work for honda that the 1st gens eat the head and are spendy to rebuild. Any real truth to this? Or is he just a grumpy old man?

DohcBikes
07-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Ive heard a few times from a buddy that used to work for honda that the 1st gens eat the head and are spendy to rebuild. Any real truth to this? Or is he just a grumpy old man?

Grumpy old man. .

The first gen 200x has a base design that is used in about a billion hondas, one of, if not the most, reliable small engines ever produced.

Must have forgot to use oils with high levels of ZDDP....

P.S.,,, the 2nd gen motors are the ones that blow oil all over and cost triple to build. The design used in the second gen was not heavily implemented into the honda lineup, and did not last long in production. There is a reason for this.

200x350xtriz250
07-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Grumpy old man. .

The first gen 200x has a base design that is used in about a billion hondas, one of, if not the most, reliable small engines ever produced.

Must have forgot to use oils with high levels of ZDDP....

P.S.,,, the 2nd gen motors are the ones that blow oil all over and cost triple to build. The design used in the second gen was not heavily implemented into the honda lineup, and did not last long in production. There is a reason for this.

100% agree with the first part but not the second. Please explain. I have never seen this. Ever. Owned 6 2nd gens and have had 2 other 2nd gen motors. What is the extent of your experience with the 2nd gens? You seem to have a serious bug up your butt about them for some reason, you are the first I have seen this way and I'd like to hear where it came from.

ironchop
07-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Ive heard a few times from a buddy that used to work for honda that the 1st gens eat the head

Sometimes, Yes.

From a lack of oil going to the cam journal in the CDI side of the head. Its just a slip surface so it has to be getting oil but that can be said about any motor no matter what brand. No oil flow= trashed parts. The Honda just tends to see the damage in that journal in the head from lack of oil. I have seen a few scored up from this but accounting for only twenty percent of the time maybe but it does happen

Keep your oil level full and checked regularly and keep your filter screen cleaned and you shouldn`t have an issue with it ever. It can only be blamed on lack of maintenance really.

My last topend rebuild counting a new piston, rings, valves, seat grind, valve guides, springs, keepers, retainers, timing chain, gasket set, and bore/hone never exceeded $450.....then I put a $500 cam in it but a stock cam would have set me back $75? for a total of $525 maybe......that ain`t too shabby for being ALL NEW but the sleeve. Yeah it`s not a two-stroke rebuild price but its very affordable IMO.

Mr. Clean
07-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Your answer is simple....buy one of each, you can never have too many trikes.

Next make sure you ask what is the best oil and what is the best paddle tire.

DohcBikes
07-16-2014, 08:29 PM
100% agree with the first part but not the second. Cool, that's why we're here, it's an opinion thread.

Please explain.I already have.

I have never seen this. Ever.Oil on a motor? I'm glad you've never seen it on your trikes. Bravo.

Owned 6 2nd gens and have had 2 other 2nd gen motors. Again, congrats. Why do you keep selling them?

What is the extent of your experience with the 2nd gens? I've had enough experience with bikes and Honda engines in general to know why they did not keep the second gens engine design around very long. Do you have to own 6 chevy cavaliers before you realize they are junk? lol.

You seem to have a serious bug up your butt about them for some reason,It does seem that way for some reason doesn't it. Very observant!

you are the first I have seen this way and I'd like to hear where it came from.It's always great to be first!!

:beer

Oh and by the way, nobody ever said the 1st gen had reverse (mine does;)) but I would still rather have reverse than sixth. Keep assuming, it makes this even easier than it already is for me.

Billy Golightly
07-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Dude - chill out. I'm the only one allowed to talk like that around here. No need to talk down to and belittle someone new for asking a fairly reasonable question...

Cool, that's why we're here, it's an opinion thread.

I already have.

Oil on a motor? I'm glad you've never seen it on your trikes. Bravo.

Again, congrats. Why do you keep selling them?

I've had enough experience with bikes and Honda engines in general to know why they did not keep the second gens engine design around very long. Do you have to own 6 chevy cavaliers before you realize they are junk? lol.

It does seem that way for some reason doesn't it. Very observant!

It's always great to be first!!

Oh and by the way, nobody ever said the 1st gen had reverse (mine does;)) but I would still rather have reverse than sixth. Keep assuming, it makes this even easier than it already is for me.

DohcBikes
07-17-2014, 06:19 PM
First I was told that my "panties were twisted" because I gave my opinion on a thread that asked for opinions. I responded with information, and a little sarcasm.

The quote you posted was not in response to a new member. It was in response to a member that has been a member since 2007, and decided to tell me I had "a bug up my butt". I resonded with information, and a little sarcasm.

To single me out is ridiculous. It's unfortunate that grown men can't recognize somebody thats being a little bit sarcstic as a response to immature comments which were directly aimed at him.

I was giving a technical opinion. They made it personal with their comments. If you can't see it by reading without bias, then I can't show it to you either Billy.

No need for me to chill, I'm cold as ice brother.

200x350xtriz250
07-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Cool, that's why we're here, it's an opinion thread.

I already have.

Oil on a motor? I'm glad you've never seen it on your trikes. Bravo.

Again, congrats. Why do you keep selling them?

I've had enough experience with bikes and Honda engines in general to know why they did not keep the second gens engine design around very long. Do you have to own 6 chevy cavaliers before you realize they are junk? lol.

It does seem that way for some reason doesn't it. Very observant!

It's always great to be first!!

If I've done something to piss you off here or somewhere else, I'm sorry, if you could point it out that would be great, otherwise you've got me all twisted bud. Reread my posts without assuming I'm knocking you down or disagreeing with you just for the hell of it and you will see I'm asking to hear more about your experiences and doing so without calling you a goon or sensitive. I was under the impression that you were a mechanic and as such would have much more knowledge and experience to share with all of us. If all this is just your posted personal opinion, then I'm sorry for asking for more info.

Oil on a motor, yes I have seen that - blowing out a 2nd gen motor I have not. Where is it blowing out from? I ask because I still have a 2nd gen 200x.

I have sold my 200x's for various reasons at different times - needing money, needing space, buying another bike or quad or sxs, basically when I am ready or need to move on or try something else - I just keep coming back to these 2nd gens, probably because my first trike was a 2nd gen 200x.

I have owned both gen 200x's and wouldn't call either junk, though only owned 1 1st gen. Don't know about cavaliers lol - never owned one.

The bug comment was because you do seem to have one about the 2nd gen 200x's as if they have haunted your dreams since childhood or something. Again, just trying to find out why.

Your the first with so much hate for the 2nd gens that I have heard, seen, read about - again I was hoping to hear your experiences so I can look for these issues on mine.

In post #6 you state you would rather have reverse over sixth gear, which sounds like it implies there is a choice between 83-85 with reverse or 86-87 with 6th. I know that you know this but others reading this may not.

Again, sorry for whatever I did, said or posted that caused all this crap, if you point it out to me I'll try to do a better job in the future to avoid it.

DohcBikes
07-17-2014, 07:38 PM
What causes all this crap is the loss in translation of emotion in text. I'm not stirred up in the least bit. Moving on fellas.

200x350xtriz250
07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
:confused::wondering:beer

DohcBikes
07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Now we're talkin'...:beer