PDA

View Full Version : cracked motor! fixes?

nilesj
07-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I have a 250 big red and theres a small hair line crack at the bottom of the motor. what are some quick fixes without removing the motor?

250r kid
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
197186heres a crank seal area .i welded up,welding is the only real fix .

adamszwheeler
07-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Agree with 250r...welding will be the only true fix...i have a recent post showing my fix on my Z kick start..massive failure but the welds held so far with no real worries on my part...could always jb weld but it will fail so why bother...sucks if you just did bearings seals and gaskets but if not heres a perfect opportunity! Good luck with that...post a link to my fix but once again my phone absolutely hates this site!!!

natenkiki2004
07-23-2014, 01:43 AM
Welding for sure. Find someone with a TIG welder. I had a crack that leaked oil but otherwise did no harm on a Honda CT90. Had it welded up by a guy that runs a snowmobile shop, did a great job and hasn't leaked so far. Price was right too considering how long he was at it. A good weld should last forever, just make sure it's super clean and oil-free.

*EDIT*
Forgot to say, mine was done on the bike. If the area is wire-brushed and cleaned, it should be pretty quick to do on the machine.

adamszwheeler
07-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Definitely right!! They make a cool jell stuff for welding works really well with aluminum...depending on location and heat worries that is probably the way to go, no splitting cases! Totally forgot, it is not something I use very often...worked really well with a repair I made on my forks after a fresh rebuild!! Here's a couple of picks of my repair on my kick start.. repaired really well and is holding up great!!