PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a 250r

wamulass
07-14-2014, 12:37 AM
I want some opinions on what year to get. I rode my buddie's 1981 model with the fat front tire on it. Love it but it seemed to tip a little easily. I know the later models from 1983 on up had a 11" front wheel that was narrower and some other upgrades as well. Can anyone tell me if the skinnier wheel makes it tip easier or less? Which year do you prefer?

Secondly, what upgrades do you recommend? I plan on a exhaust system, reeds/valves, air filter, and brakes. If i get one with the 11" front wheel, i will install a gnarly looking tire u front.

CodyRosa
07-14-2014, 12:52 AM
I have an 82.. it had a skinny tire to begin with so I can't tell you if its more tippy with the fat tire.. But mine is VERY tippy. I can barely turn the bars and it goes on 2 wheels.. if you want to stop this you'd probably wanna invest in a wider axle, more offset rims or even wheel spacers. You wont be able to whip around as much but it wont be so tippy.

I have a 350x rim on mine with 200x forks and triples.. Looks a lot better in my opinion so i'd suggest upgrading to that. Mine isn't modded besides having a richter privateer muffler so i cant help you out there! Mines a fresh rebuild and she scoots along very fast! So i'd suggest a fresh rebuild on any R =) haha but really I can't help you on that last question.

murrietamike
07-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I have an "83 and an '86.... love them both..... Tippy??? yea... but that's half the fun... just stay on the throttle.... The '85-'86 models are the best in my opinion but your going to pay more for them....

90guy
07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I want some opinions on what year to get. I rode my buddie's 1981 model with the fat front tire on it. Love it but it seemed to tip a little easily. I know the later models from 1983 on up had a 11" front wheel that was narrower and some other upgrades as well. Can anyone tell me if the skinnier wheel makes it tip easier or less? Which year do you prefer?

Secondly, what upgrades do you recommend? I plan on a exhaust system, reeds/valves, air filter, and brakes. If i get one with the 11" front wheel, i will install a gnarly looking tire u front.
The fat tire is not what makes these machines "tippy" It's the fact it's a first gen. So it is a narrow rear axle compared to the other 2 gens. It also has a shorter swingarm then the other 2 gens. In consideration Yes it will feel "tippy" I own a 81. Has a +4 axle and a +3 swingarm. And it is far from being unstable. But If I was going to buy one to ride everyday it would ave to be 85-86 R Complete beast! And parts are more available for that machine.

jb2wheels
07-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Hold out for a 3rd gen (85/86). I have an 85.

A first gen (81/82) would be cool for the nostalgia factor but are primitive compared to the later models. Which is amazing because the were revolutionary when new. I had an 82 back in the 80s.

A 2nd gen might be a lot of fun. Suspension is light years ahead of the 1st gen.

My 85 is bone stock except the paddles I use in the sand. That's the way I'll leave it except maybe some LED aux lights.

wamulass
07-14-2014, 12:57 PM
thanks for the input. i will look for a 85 or 86 then. will get new tires and exhaust as well as reeds and air cleaner as well. i may get a extended axle if it tips too much

ps2fixer
07-16-2014, 08:32 AM
I have an 82 I just bought, comparing it to my 83 which has bad axle and swing arm bearings, it isn't nearly as tippy. I think the biggest thing is what tires you have, and if you have aftermarket rims. I put aftermarket rims (wider and set out further) on my 83 and it isn't tippy any more. The 82 i never noticed it with what appears to be factory tires. One thing to note, I have been riding for a while, so the "tippy feeling" isn't in me any more like when I first started, I only get that feeling when i'm 100% going to tip over and hit ground, then I stick my foot out if it makes sense to do so, or jump :P. Point of advice for new riders, NEVER put your foot out, you can tip a long ways before it will flip, ride in an open area on 2 wheels and get used to the balance point and don't push your skill too far.

I never rode an 85-86, or even seen one in person, prices are too high for me, and I like my 350x more anyway :).

wamulass
07-19-2014, 12:41 AM
I like the fact the 250R was a 2 stroke. Sure they require more maintenance but they are faster and have more top end than a 4 stroke. At least that's from my experience. I had a buddy who had a yamaha yfz350 and put out 50 rear wheel horse power with just a aftermarket exhaust, air filter, jets, power reeds and some other minor add ons. You can't find 2 strokes anymore. Even the 250R 4 wheeler was a beast back in the day.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-19-2014, 12:23 PM
I agree with others. Stability is influenced most by the rear wheel stance. Wide is better! And the first gen is many things, but wide is not one of them. Make no mistake, I plan to add one to my stable of Hondas some time in the future.. But if I were limited to just one, 3rd gen all the way..

The other thing about a 3rd gen is they still have a ton of aftermarket support for everything from regular maintenance to modification mild to wild. MUCH more to choose from.

350for350
07-20-2014, 04:42 PM
I think it's all about what's available to you, what you want to do with it, and what your budget allows for. Remember that these are all around 30 or so years old and all require maintenance. The harder you ride, the more it takes to keep your machine going. It's all fun in the end.

smrover1
07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Me personally like the looks of 85 or 86 But the older ones are still cool to look at just to see the progress from where these wheelers came from

atc300r
07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I have a 81,83 and 85 .The 83 isnt that much wider than the 81-82 stock for stock. But my 81 is what I ride and race most.It has a plus 5 axle with a plus three swingarm and its stable. Im # 81 197463 197464 197465

jacobfour
07-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Like others have said I'd try to find 85-86. if u get the earlier years you basically have to rely on ebay used parts. I just bought a 84 250 r atc in May, first 3 wheeler first 2 stroke and it has been a project for sure. its been fun building it, but ive had to rely on ebay I bought new carb, exhuast, petcock went through 2, 1st was wrong size, Igniton coil, top end rebuild, stator, all kinds of jazz I paid $400 for it which is pretty cheap but then when u realize how much in parts ive had to spend I prolly should of just bought a 85-86 running for like $1500 which would prolly be considered cheap most go for like $1800-2500 that ive seen. Im up to prolly $1200 total and it isnt running yet. no spark and im messing with that. So I would try to get a 85-86 bc more reliable, liquid cooled will last longer on rebuilds, and u can still get new parts for them all day long. but if you get a older model 81-84 I would suggest that it is running when u get it. and I wouldn't pay more than like $500-$800 if you pay more than that it would have to be in like damn near great condition

chopdog
07-30-2014, 12:35 AM
i AGREE I WANT AT LEAST 1 OF ALL ATC'S!

terminal velcty
07-31-2014, 01:33 AM
I would tend to go with an 83-84 air-cooled R if you are a beginner to 3 wheelers. This is just my opinion but I personally find the power delivery of the Stock standard Aircooled 250R more controllable (read: predictable/smooth power band) which may or may not be what you're after… I am sure some others will chime in with recommendations of aftermarket expansion chambers and porting changes to increase HP while also giving a more violent power band if that's what you are seeking.

Depending on your experience with 3 wheelers and if violent acceleration is what you are after. I would skip the air-cooled machines over and go for a water-cooled unit. Which will have a harder hitting power band as well as higher peak HP. Remember safety first, you can always change machines but you only get one body :-)

Oh and as others have already said, the '85-'86 250R machines still have a huge aftermarket support to cater from mild to wild builds and rebuilds.