PDA

View Full Version : Does a kawasaki KLT200 need a battery to run?

Loves2roost
07-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Hey guys new to the site, was wondering about an early 80s kawasaki KLT200 if it needed a battery to get spark or if you can strictly run it off of the kick start? Any info appreciated! Thanks

muthey
07-15-2014, 11:11 PM
you shouldn't need a battery if you have a kick start back up on it,start checking the cdi, and coil and stator if you don't have spark, also the keyed ignition corrodes and wreaks all kinds of havoc on the spark. is an easy fix though pop the two tabs on the back and use some sand paper to clean the copper contacts. Wrap black tape long ways around it to hold the two parts together and use a small hammer and a flat head screw driver to knock the tabs back in place. but back to you original question with either pull or kick back up starters you don't need a battery to run it.

Loves2roost
07-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Thank you for the reply! I did end up busting the cdi box on accident but i bought it off of an older lady who said it hasnt ran in 2 years (ran great when parked) she gave me the keys for it which fit in the ignition but the tumbler wont turn, is there a way i can delete the key all together and just simply use the on off switch on the handlebar? It doesnt seem to be tampered with at all so i was thinking cdi box but would rather not just start throwing parts at it lol

muthey
07-15-2014, 11:55 PM
how did you break the cdi, did you break the casing or the plug off the end off it, and if you are not using a battery yes you can by pass the keyed ignition, only if you don't have an electric fuel pump. you can still run it without a battery even if you do have an electric pump, however if the carb bowl is empty it will be a complete night mare to start, you can use a car battery to prime the carb, and then disconnect it and go. let me know how you broke the cdi, I might be able to fix it for you I repaired mine, only thing is it won't come back with the plastic case, it will be wrapped with rubberized tape which will seal it from moisture if it is repairable.

Loves2roost
07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
I ended up breaking a connection inside while opening it (i dont think it was meant to be opened) i just wanted to look inside hoping i could fix it myself but i couldnt get it apart, once it broke i lost my motivation lol i will check today after work if it is electric or not on the pump, if you could fix the cdi that would be great! Email me personally at tylerdubois@gmail.com and we can figure out the details! Thank you for the reply! Possibly even bring the entire thing to you and pay you for your help

muthey
07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago

Loves2roost
07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
I still havent recieved it yet maybe try sending once more or i will email you

muthey
07-22-2014, 02:21 AM
sent another email, check your junk e-mail folder, for mine. my e-mail is muthey1@gmail.com

lamettry
08-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Hey guys I have a KLT200 3 wheeler and all wires were disconnected it has the silver regulator attached to the battery box and the Ignition Unit that is a black box. I have electrical current all the way to the end of the plug but no spark. It has no battery or starter relay but I dont think it needs to for the kick start to start it. Any thoughts?

muthey
08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Hey guys I have a KLT200 3 wheeler and all wires were disconnected it has the silver regulator attached to the battery box and the Ignition Unit that is a black box. I have electrical current all the way to the end of the plug but no spark. It has no battery or starter relay but I dont think it needs to for the kick start to start it. Any thoughts?

Have you changed the spark plug yet, that would be your problem if you juice to the and of the spark plug wire.