PDA

View Full Version : check out these gnarly tires

wamulass
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
I bought these gnarly tires to upgrade the rear tires on my 110 honda. These are called the OTR 38 Special. They look pretty gnarly to me and I think they will provide adequate traction for my needs without bogging down the 110cc engine. They are super thick tires and have a flat profile which means a larger contact patch with the ground. I think they are 6 ply tires. I had these mounted on AMS steel wheels with tubes. $300 for the pair but I think well worth the money. I will post an update soon on their performance. 197265197266197267

MidwestATC
07-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Those look like some awesome meats there. Bet they will get you in a hole and then dig it a little bit deeper to lol

El Camexican
07-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Not a Honda guy, but I'm guessing you have a solid axle. Do those tires have any side wall flex?

slimeandscales
07-16-2014, 02:52 AM
sweet! looks like they should last a while

UFLBret
07-16-2014, 07:35 AM
6-ply on a rigid bike.....better get yourself a kidney belt!

ps2fixer
07-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Looks almost like the tire I bought for my 84 200es big red except it don't have the extra wide groove in the middle. I only paid $30ea for mine (below store cost at TSC). I guess it was an old model being replaced or something. They are 25x13x9 and I think their original design were for the gator or something like that (road + off road). Photos below are of mine after ~5 years of use, basically new yet lol.

coolpool
07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
They look great, but they look heavy and will ride like a rock even without air in them I'm thinking. Tough to beat soft knobbies on a rigid frame for a smooth ride with reasonable traction.

ps2fixer
07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
They look great, but they look heavy and will ride like a rock even without air in them I'm thinking. Tough to beat soft knobbies on a rigid frame for a smooth ride with reasonable traction.

Agreed, my big red had the oem tires before, but were dry rotted really bad. I ride in sand though, so it wasn't a huge issue. They work as good or better in the Michigan mud and can handle quite a load (trailer in my case).

wamulass
07-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I prefer wide tires for stability reasons. Balloon tires are too tippy for me. I hate those cheng shin dimpled knobby tires or any balloon tire that is thin and thorns would easily puncture. my friend's cheng shin had about a dozen plugs in it before it was eventually unrepairable. stay away from 2 ply rated tires. they pop easily.

Ghostv2
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
I prefer wide tires for stability reasons. Balloon tires are too tippy for me. I hate those cheng shin dimpled knobby tires or any balloon tire that is thin and thorns would easily puncture. my friend's cheng shin had about a dozen plugs in it before it was eventually unrepairable. stay away from 2 ply rated tires. they pop easily.

I will gladly take all your oem style 2-ply knobbies. Nothing beats them on a hardtail. Eventually people realize that.

MidwestATC
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Tubes are cheaper than tires by far and I run tubes in all my atc tires just for this reason. Yes it does get really old running a sharp rock or stick into a 2 ply and I'm one of those trail blazing types that likes to go off the beaten path. I mean if your into power slides and high speed cornering then yes wrong choice of tire but if your climbing some crazy stuff or in some soft ground the softer tire is a bonus to help float over it until your ready to rev it up and dump the clutch and turn them into trench diggers lol

wamulass
07-18-2014, 12:24 AM
i have no more 2 ply tires. my front tire is a nanco bushwhacker 22x11-8 (trail pro copy) i know how hated the tire is on this board but it performs fine for my purposes. It never goes flat either and i only run 5 psi in it. its rated as a 4 ply but built like a 6 ply. and yes it has a tube in it as well due to the split rim.

I am a casual rider and don't do power slides. I do off road a lot and when I do i run 2 psi per tire in all three. and these are the 6 ply tires.

Trike_crazy
07-18-2014, 09:12 AM
I was given a set of them Calise Field trax tires off of a gator. Someone had put a new set rear tires on the front of one and when the gator came back from overseas ( I work in a military maintenace shop) they ordered the right set and didnt have use for them. Since they were 22x11x8 I snatched them up and put them on my 79 110. They are a bit more rough but for free I'm not gonna complain.

350for350
07-19-2014, 12:22 AM
If they are 6 ply tires, they will bog the engine down a little since they are heavier than the stock tires. A 110 isn't exactly a fire breathing power house although they are good little trikes.

wamulass
07-19-2014, 12:32 AM
I have had them on for two days now. Acceleration is tad slower and I do notice a small reduction in top speed, but I am not trying to race my 110. I use it to get around my parent's farm and to tow a small garden cart. So far, so good. No wear, even after a day on a paved driveway and gravel hills. And best of all, those AMS steel wheels are one piece so no leaks, even though I have tubes in them anyway. Only complaint is they run a little small; about 20.5" tall and 11" wide so ground clearance is a little less. I{f they outlast the trike, I am happy.

ps2fixer
07-19-2014, 12:42 AM
It is going to be hard to make you happy then, you know... Hondas are known to last forever, no way the tires can beat Honda's rep :).

I'm pretty sure my set are really close to their rated size, never really checked though.

wamulass
07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Another update: still now wear on the tires and more riding on hard terrains and paved driveways. Not the best in the mud however. Got stuck as my 110 could't turn the tires when clogged up. Overall wok best on harder terrains and semi hard terrains. Don't know about sand or snow, have yet to test them there.

I give the OTR 38 Special tires a 4/5 * rating

Legns
08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
they look awsome though :)

Bigred97
08-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Look pretty cool to me.