PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Custom Golf Cart?

coolpool
07-18-2014, 12:04 PM
This is a little pre-emptive, but a guy at work wants to give me a mid 1960's three wheel golf cart for free. It's electric at the moment (needs batteries and who knows what else) and I was thinking of putting a rear diff in it and converting it to gas for a campsite crawler. I'm supposed to see it on Sunday; I'll post some pics. Like I need another project:crazy: Show me what you have or talk me out of it if they are money pits, I have no clue about these things.

Bren_downe
07-18-2014, 12:49 PM
What kind of batteries does it use? Sorry I don't know anything about golf carts. Your question brought to mind a story from work. A large industrial plant with about 30 different fork trucks. Electric and propane. I saw them put an entire electric fork truck in the scrap metal dumpster because the battery was toast. The fork truck mechanic told me it was cheaper to buy a whole new fork truck rather than replace the battery!

tri again
07-18-2014, 01:38 PM
This is a little pre-emptive, but a guy at work wants to give me a mid 1960's three wheel golf cart for free. It's electric at the moment (needs batteries and who knows what else) and I was thinking of putting a rear diff in it and converting it to gas for a campsite crawler. I'm supposed to see it on Sunday; I'll post some pics. Like I need another project:crazy: Show me what you have or talk me out of it if they are money pits, I have no clue about these things.

I've had one of each.
3 wheeled 2 stroke harley golf cart (1963?) and an
electric gosomething.9 batteries, at least? 4 wheels.
Everyone says get a 4 wheeled yamaha 2 stroke but I digress.
The batteries are wired together and the first and last in line catch the most 'heat' of charge and discharge.
Best to disco and charge them individually instead of all together.
Distilled water, of course.
Wicked expensive for that many deep cycle batts.
VERY heavy machine, essentially only pavement or dry grass, and no traction.
(I have to write and edit or I get logged out)
Where was I?
Yupp, batteries, heavy and expensive.
2 stroke, lighter and great if / when they work.
Odd birds for sure.
No real on /off, step on the gas and it starts.
My FAVorite?
for the thing to go backwards?????
the freakin' 2 stroke engine RUNS BACKwards.
I had no idea that was even possible.

as far as conversion?
Lots of coffee.
I think the battery cart had a regular car looking differential / rearend.
the harley 2 stroke?
I forget exactly but the engine would run backwards go change direction.
Got rid of them both for what I had into them and bought another trike.
and then thought about getting a wrecked electric scooter and making
an electric trike, like a 70 or 90 frame.

Have fun. It was a very interesting diversion but I'm afraid I forgot more than I learned.
Hope that helps

coolpool
07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Well I went to see the beast. Overall it's in decent shape body wise with no dents and the paint actually looks OK. Mechanically it's missing all the electrical components except the DC motor which is integral to the rear diff. It was made by Marketeer from Redlands CA. It needs the seats recovered and three tires. I think I'll scoop it to keep it from the wrecking yard and sit on it awhile. I would still like to put in a 4-stroke engine with reverse. It's not very wide so a donor quad engine with electric start, reverse and rear diff might be the answer. Don't care if it remains golf course friendly:D

Caminofeld
07-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Wow, that thing looks amazing! Super retro style. I agree with TA, it would be better to switch out the drivetrain for gas. We used to have one at work (when I worked at the Port) and researched the cost to get it running; which entailed replacing all the batteries and a basic clean, lube, and tune. The total was just under $1000...and who knows what other problems we would have ran into after fixing the basics. As far as I know, it's still sitting in the back of that warehouse. Maybe you could find a destroyed 200ES or something for cheap and make a swap. Either way, good score!

coolpool
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Wow, that thing looks amazing! Super retro style. I agree with TA, it would be better to switch out the drivetrain for gas. We used to have one at work (when I worked at the Port) and researched the cost to get it running; which entailed replacing all the batteries and a basic clean, lube, and tune. The total was just under $1000...and who knows what other problems we would have ran into after fixing the basics. As far as I know, it's still sitting in the back of that warehouse. Maybe you could find a destroyed 200ES or something for cheap and make a swap. Either way, good score!

Thanks! It's definitely going to be gas powered; what cofiguration who knows? Maybe a donor riding lawnmower setup would work? Would be cheaper than buying a donor quad. Just wish I could use the rear diff, it's beefy and has brakes already. Or how about a donor gas powered golf cart? I could just rob it and convert....hmmmm?