PDA

View Full Version : atc 110 motor stuck

eljefe
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Hopefully somebody has seen this before or can point me in the right direction. My girlfriend flipped her 110 ( she's fine, atc is not...) and it ran upside down for a few seconds before dying. Now the pull starter feels stuck when I pull on it. I took the recoil starter off and I can move the assembly there back and forward but it won't rotate a full 360, it's hitting something somewhere. I'm thinking of taking it apart this weekend, but don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

350for350
07-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Try taking out the spark plug and turning the engine over. If there's some oil in the cylinder, it won't compress like air does. Enough of the oil should come out of the spark plug hole to let it turn over with the plug back in. If that's the problem, be sure to check the oil level before running the engine.

eljefe
07-19-2014, 01:03 AM
I had the spark plug out, it didn't shoot any oil out of the plug hole. The engine still has compression but it is hitting something... metal. Maybe a valve? It rotates back and forth ~320 degrees. Thanks

DohcBikes
07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Well if you are convinced it is metal to metal its time to take a look inside.

350for350
07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Agree with dohc.

eljefe
07-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Found some time to take it apart a little. Took the transmission cover, pull starter, and front wheel off and flipped it on its back two wheels. I turned the starter and it clunked a bit but then turned freely. I can't hear any problems when turning it and don't see anything loose (I think i'd have to split the case to find where/what that was). I can get another motor locally for ~$100, think its worth it to try and open the one I have or just see if it will start again and get a new one if not? Thanks.

danbur55
08-01-2014, 07:03 AM
not totally familiar with one that flipped but wonder if the inertia of being upside down then dying, could timing chain and tensioner get out of alignment due to usual wear? some one else may have more experiences with this good luck