PDA

View Full Version : No Place Like Home.

DohcBikes
07-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Since deciding to head back to Kearney Nebraska, I been thinking a lot about what makes my hometown special.

Family. Duh.

But my absolute favorite thing about Kearney is our annual Cruise Night. Everybody gets out their hot rods and drags a cruise all night long up and down Highway 30 that splits the town of 30,000. We have a drag strip, and the nostalgia drags are held the same weekend for the guys that wanna burn rubber legally. And of course a show and shine and a 50's dance and all that good noise.

Highway 30 runs right by our University, and all the college kids fill the old houses that line the street, which is also 25th street. On cruise night, there's no stopping the parties, the police can only hope to contain them. And they don't succeed, and they know they don't stand a chance. It's a free for all.

I decided to check for youtube evidence of my claims. It exists lol... the following video is about 7 minutes long and kinda boring for a bit, (the ADD kids can skip to about 3:50 to see the cops just sitting there watching people party in the streets, and the trash and damage starts to become more evident.) but if watched in it's entirety will provide a sufficient feeling for what might have gone in a sleepy little town on this night in 2013. One of the only two I have ever missed. The second is happening TONIGHT.

My friends and I have lived in several of the houses in this video, and have undoubtedly partied in every one.

Theres no place like home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jcPQr4WBGo

What's the coolest thing about YOUR hometown?!

tripledog
07-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Wow, that's just nuts! I gives me a new appreciation for living in the middle of nowhere. I thought my yard was looking a bit shabby until I saw the fallout from the cruise night. Sure glad I don't have to clean that mess up! Pretty cool to see how the hardcore party crowd rolls.