PDA

View Full Version : The SPOT GPS Signal

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Any of you use one of these? http://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=102 Got into a bad situation today. This looks like the best option out there short of a SAT phone.

DohcBikes
07-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Dude I've never seen anything like that but it looks like they made it with you in mind El. Adventure, danger, whatever it is that's making you look at these things, be careful man.

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 11:58 AM
whatever it is that's making you look at these things

Thought you'd never ask :) Got stuck on a mountain road after flash floods washed it out in front and behind us. We were soaking wet at 8,000' if elevation, cold, hungry and with no option other than to run the rapids, or wait for the rain to stop. Against my better judgment we had run the first washout successfully. We likely made it because we were riding downhill, to have backtracked would have meant running it uphill. 200 yards further down hill was a much bigger surge. I threw a bowling ball sided rock into it and it shot it over the road like a paper cup. We ended up marking the water height and waiting till it went down. Took only about 30 minutes and then a small truck came along and made it through, so we went for it. From there we got lucky, the rain became a drizzle and although we crossed another couple dozen creeks, but only one other bad one. Had the rain picked up we'd have spent the night on that road and my wife would have been freaking out. It looks like I could have sent her a text with this device either telling her not to worry, or to send a helicopter to those coordinates. As it was I was gone for 14 hours, but she took it better than she usually does.

I didn't have a camera, but one guy was taking pictures on his phone. I'll post them if he sends them to me.

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 04:30 PM
This should give you an idea. I figure it was about 18" high at the most. It was down to about 12" when we crossed.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/Carb%20Drip/WashedOutRoad_zps47c248ea.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/Carb%20Drip/WashedOutRoad_zps47c248ea.jpg.html)
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/Carb%20Drip/WashedoutRoad2_zpsdf6a65c4.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/Carb%20Drip/WashedoutRoad2_zpsdf6a65c4.jpg.html)

DohcBikes
07-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Wow!! Danger AND adventure! Beautiful photos.

Billy Golightly
07-20-2014, 05:18 PM
No kidding...that looks like awesome riding!

That is a pretty interesting look device too - for $120, that seems like a real good piece of insurance and peace of mind.

atc007
07-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Pfffhhhhh big deal.. All you needed were a few SXS's in front of you clearing a wake :D;):p:p:p:p Looks downright Fun to me :) Glad all ended well..

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Pfffhhhhh big deal.. All you needed were a few SXS's in front of you clearing a wake :D;):p:p:p:p Looks downright Fun to me :) Glad all ended well..

HAHAHAHA!!! I recall thinking I was glad I wasn't on a trike with big fat buoyant tires. I would have ended up sleeping there!!!

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
No kidding...that looks like awesome riding!

That is a pretty interesting look device too - for $120, that seems like a real good piece of insurance and peace of mind.

Just picked one up for only $90!

One of these days I need to take a good camera, slow down and take a bunch of photos. The scenery yesterday was incredible. Not counting trailer and unloading time we did a little over 180 miles and road from 2,000' to close to 11,000' There was a low cloud ceiling in the morning so we were above the clouds in the sun in the morning. Imagine being on a cliff and looking down on what looks like a snow covered lake just a few yards below you, but knowing that your thousands of feet above the valley. Then around 3:00pm the lightning and thunder started. The lightning would flash nearby and you'd feel the thunder as you were riding. I was teasing one of the guys that I wasn't worried about being hit by lightning because he has a metal plate in his head, so he'd be the one to take the hit.:cool:

6speedthumper
07-20-2014, 09:24 PM
It's funny that you posted this, El. I'm into riding horse (anything to go off road, lol) and they have come out with RideAlert. Basically, it's what you have found here. They are wanting to get into the ATV market as well. I talked to a rep of theirs, and told her that if they really want to get into the ATV world, they need to go satellite. We all go where cell phones do not work. Unlike most horse people, who don't go "off the grid".

atc007
07-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Oh,as far as the spot. you'll love it if you have to use it. My Brother in law don't leave home without it.

El Camexican
07-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Buddy with the metal plate just sent another photo. Check out the former left side of the road and the high tech rain gear purchased at the last town for 4 Pesos.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/Carb%20Drip/David_zps13ee2fd6.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/Carb%20Drip/David_zps13ee2fd6.jpg.html)

Dirtcrasher
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
NICE!!

Now I want a GPS chip for my wallet. 2 wallets in 3.5 years is ENOUGH!! Gotta be something out there if they chip cats/dogs.....

El Camexican
07-21-2014, 09:01 PM
There is help out there buddy...197475

coolpool
07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Now that's my kind of place to ride, you're lucky to have that available to you. Glad things worked out; the wife will get over it I'm sure. Might need one of those leashes kids wear when crossing for your buddy to hold on to ;-).

Dirtcrasher
07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
There is help out there buddy...197475

I can't wear that in court and I'm there often. Can't I crawl into a Vet office and meow for one of those chips?

We ought to be able to put a micro (find me) chip on/in ANYTHING, including our trikes!!

El Camexican
07-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I can't wear that in court and I'm there often. Can't I crawl into a Vet office and meow for one of those chips?

We ought to be able to put a micro (find me) chip on/in ANYTHING, including our trikes!!

I guess you could just duct tape it to a SPOT GPS and leave it on at all times. Unfortunately it would like an explosive devise, so when you go to toss it in the cell phone/change tray going into court they'll likely tackle you when you pull it out of your pocket.

Sorry Steve, looks like you're just going to have to cut the mitt strings and take better care of your wallet. Maybe if you keep more money in it you'll remember better?;)

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, the wallet couldn't have held any more $$!!

I already forgot about it, I just need to get a drivers license.....

86T3
07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Do you have to make any monthly payments to keep the Spot activeted? Sounds like something that would be awesome for boating

El Camexican
07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Do you have to make any monthly payments to keep the Spot activeted? Sounds like something that would be awesome for boating

I don't know yet, but the SPOT floats and the smaller SPOT II doesn't if you plan to take one on the boat.

El Camexican
01-10-2015, 02:16 AM
So I finally activated this thing a couple months ago. Basically there are three options: http://international.findmespot.com/ I think it ended up costing another $120 for a yearly activation and message sending.

I went for the middle package that lets me send any one of three pre-programed messages (They let you write them) and also sends an SOS to the nearest global 911 equivalent. Works anywhere on Earth.

The three pre-recorded messages are pretty restrictive, so I came up with a code that lets me turn the three messages into additional messages by sending out say the same message twice, or sending message 2 followed by message 1 within an hour. Once you pay your annual subscription it lets you add cell phone numbers, contact names emails etc. Great 24/7 phone assistance. I did this late at night and had issues, needed to use Google Chrome to get it to work. Nice lady walked me through the whole thing.

I tested it and sure enough, it sends your coordinates, copy past them into Google and an image of your location appears instantly on the screen.

The only downside so far is that the 2 clowns that quickly offered to split the costs on this gizmo started balking when the totals were added up so I told them, "no problem, don't pay me, but when you're bleeding out on the side of the trail the cost to buy in will be considerably higher" :naughty:

Scootertrash
01-10-2015, 08:53 AM
So you've found the ever elusive G-SPOT?

"no problem, don't pay me, but when you're bleeding out on the side of the trail the cost to buy in will be considerably higher" :naughty:

LOL! In cash also!