PDA

View Full Version : 250 ES E start issues

Atc70noob
07-21-2014, 10:54 AM
So I have a 1986 Big Red. Absolutely love it but she is sick. I have always been able to fix her up on my own regardless of the issues. Now I am stumped. The kickstart is slipping, I have ordered a replacement one way clutch for that issue.

Tried the e start and I heard a horrible screeching sound. Pulled it off and the starter gears were stripped smooth! The gears inside the reduction cover seemed fine. It is the original starter but has been rebuilt with new brushes once.

What causes stripped starter gears? :wondering

I think I will go ahead and get a used one way clutch for the e start as well but I wanted your opinion on what was going on so I could order parts ahead of tearing it down.
Thanks

effort=results
07-22-2014, 11:27 PM
the word on the 87 big red is a revision to the design of the starter shaft . they made it longer so it could ride on another bearing so that the load put on the gears was put into the bearing and not on to the shaft and teeth, if you look at the reduction gear casing on a 87 it is larger and sticks out farther cause of the extra bearing . some guys switch out the casing to an 87 model for this reason.

Atc70noob
07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
the word on the 87 big red is a revision to the design of the starter shaft . they made it longer so it could ride on another bearing so that the load put on the gears was put into the bearing and not on to the shaft and teeth, if you look at the reduction gear casing on a 87 it is larger and sticks out farther cause of the extra bearing . some guys switch out the casing to an 87 model for this reason.

So what you are thinking is my issue is solely based on the fact that it is just a bad design and all 86's go through stripped starter gears eventually? I really hope this is the case. I'd hate to tear into it and find other gears tore up because of running with a bad one way bearing/clutch. I double checked part numbers and found that the one way bearing can also come from a wide number of years Trx's, I am talking like into the 2008's. Does this make sense, can anyone verify this with experience?