PDA

View Full Version : Don't Hate Me... Four Wheeled Question

GSUwhiskers
07-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Alright guys for the last week I've been having a problem getting my fourwheeler started and finally got it where it wouldn't start at all. I pulled the hose off the carb to drain the tank and the hose was dry as a bone. The fuel was "ON" but wasn't coming out, I put it on reserve and it started pouring out. So I put the hoses back on and she cranked, ran and drove well. So, my question is why will the gas flow on reserve but not on "ON", and how exactly does a reserve fuel system work? To elaborate on that last question, where does that reserve fuel area sit at in the tank?

shortline10
07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Either the petcock is clogged in the on position or you don't have enough fuel in the tank to reach the on position .

jb2wheels
07-21-2014, 07:25 PM
... So, my question is why will the gas flow on reserve but not on "ON" ...

Dude, you lobbed me slow pitch softball and I gotta swing...

Cuz you're running out of gas ;)

Basically, the fuel valve has 2 inlets inside the tank. If you take the valve out, it looks like 1 inlet but, look closely, it's 2.

The "on" inlet feeds from a little higher in the tank than the "reserve" inlet.

So, if you're tank is 12" deep for example, the on portion can only draw from the top 10" and the reserve portion can draw from the whole tank.

There's no reserve section. If you fill up and start out with the valve in the reserve position (like forget to put it back to on...), then run out of gas, you're SOL out of gas.

I guess you could call reserve the bottom of the tank.

Makes sense in my head - hope it translates to the screen.

SPD FRK
07-21-2014, 07:27 PM
It's fuel level that determines reserve from on. The reserve setting gets the fuel from low in the tank. The on position cuts off after a certain level to let you know that your almost out of fuel.
Drain the tank, pull the petcock out and clean it. Your issue lies there.
You may also want to either clean your tank or get an inline fuel filter (perhaps both) as it is debris in the fuel that has caused your issue.
JB2W beat me to it. Same answer in different words.

dixietoolz
07-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Take one of the wheels off and it will ride better. lol Now that thats outta the way you may could remove the petcock and clean it but if it was me I would order a new one and ride with it in the reserve position until the new part comes in.

GSUwhiskers
07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Haha okay I'll put more gas in tomorrow see if that helps.... I hope it does even though I will look like an incredible trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro... haha. One less thing to worry about it is just low. The whole reason I didn't put gas in was because I looked in the tank and still had some and thought I had a damn good bit, BUT looks can be deceiving so I'll double check. I'm pretty sure if I took a wheel off it wouldn't ride any better... lol, but I've got a machine with 3 wheels that does ride like a beaut! Thanks guys!

DohcBikes
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Ever heard of a vaccuum petcock guys?.....I'm sure there's a quad or two out there running one;) A properly functioning vaccuum petcock would normally have fuel in the supply line, unless there is a leak after tthe fuel inlet on the carb, in which case the line could become dry. On a vaccuum petcock, in the on position, no fuel flows unless the engine is running. On many of this design, reserve will flow freely running or not.

For the record, I think the posts above are correct, you're out of gas.

New2Tri-Z
07-22-2014, 12:50 PM
^^ what he said. All my quads have a vaccum petcock and will not draw any fuel in "ON" posistion unless motor is running. I will note that none of those models have an off posistion on the petcock either. Just On /Reserve /Prime. Check the vaccumm lines coming from motor to the petcock maybe line came off or is dry rotted and leaking vaccum. Otherwise sounds like you were low on fuel ;)

What year and make quad are we talking about??

GSUwhiskers
07-22-2014, 01:58 PM
^^ what he said. All my quads have a vaccum petcock and will not draw any fuel in "ON" posistion unless motor is running. I will note that none of those models have an off posistion on the petcock either. Just On /Reserve /Prime. Check the vaccumm lines coming from motor to the petcock maybe line came off or is dry rotted and leaking vaccum. Otherwise sounds like you were low on fuel ;)

What year and make quad are we talking about??

It is a Honda Rancher 400, 2006 model. I have never heard of a vaccumm petcock, and I'm not sure I have one, but if I ever see one I'll know what I'm looking at.

shortline10
07-22-2014, 03:58 PM
The rancher uses a std on / off / reserve petcock .

It is a Honda Rancher 400, 2006 model. I have never heard of a vaccumm petcock, and I'm not sure I have one, but if I ever see one I'll know what I'm looking at.

GSUwhiskers
07-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Just to close this case of stupidity, a lack of gas was the culprit... I don't feel too bad because I helped a friend who had the same problem this weekend... Or maybe that means I need smarter friends... Lol