PDA

View Full Version : Lameness...

Caminofeld
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
So I had a bonfire last Friday and a buddy of mine was putting around my property after having a few drinks on my YTM200 and somehow managed to crash going under 5 MPH on a straight, gently sloping downhill. I didn't see it, but he apparently ran off the trail, rolled down a hill through some nasty brush, and shattered his wrist. It was only yesterday that he realized he was LITERALLY covered head-to-toe in poison ivy. He also pulled 9 ticks off of him, but couldn't see a Lyme rash if he wanted to because of the poison ivy. Apparently the surgeon can't operate until the poison ivy gets better, then he's probably out for 8-12 weeks. He's a good friend, but I'm a little worried that either he or his insurance company may come after me for medical bills, etc.Any thoughts?

tri again
07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
So I had a bonfire last Friday and a buddy of mine was putting around my property after having a few drinks on my YTM200 and somehow managed to crash going under 5 MPH on a straight, gently sloping downhill. I didn't see it, but he apparently ran off the trail, rolled down a hill through some nasty brush, and shattered his wrist. It was only yesterday that he realized he was LITERALLY covered head-to-toe in poison ivy. He also pulled 9 ticks off of him, but couldn't see a Lyme rash if he wanted to because of the poison ivy. Apparently the surgeon can't operate until the poison ivy gets better, then he's probably out for 8-12 weeks. He's a good friend, but I'm a little worried that either he or his insurance company may come after me for medical bills, etc.Any thoughts?

I got sued for 495k.
L S short, neighbor had a party, duh mom ran up to the riding mower and reached under to pull grass out and lost fingertip.
Mind you, this was NOT at my house and I was not even home.but adjacent properties.
I saw under 'regenerative medicine' discovery channel, that fingertips can regenerate when packed with pig bladder cells.
It got thrown out but 2 years of bs and credit report ding as my insurance co paid 700$ for my court fees...public record.

on to your situation:
State laws vary.
for instance, did you rent the trike to him?
did you charge anyone to ride THEIR horse or machines? of course not but these are questions.
If someone rides across my property, I am exempt from liability.
Kids ride horses all the time to avoid a bad road corner.
They need to prove that YOU were negligent somehow. but in my case, I had NOthing to do with it but still had 2 years of haircuts, depositions, etc etc.
anyone can sue anyone for anything apparently.
Your homeowners ins may cover it and may also cancel you.
Motor vehicles are also a different animal.
Another neighbor slipped on the ice walking to his car and broke his elbow.
Homeowners said it was vehicle related and car insurance paid for it.
Not sure I'm helping much but just stoking the fire of inspiration and options.
Did he bring his own beer? THAT is mandatory for anyone who comes here btw.
with "no alcohol' signs in plain view.
If they go in the fridge and grab a cold one?
not my problem, they technically stole it, if ya wanna get picky.
We just had over 1,000 people here for a week so this stuff is kinda fresh in my mind.
An umbrella policy cover liability that the other don't cover but it's all a big ball o' confusion to keep lawyers in business.

Wish I had better news.
Sorry for the problem and it could happen to any one of us.
Had one jack%$# start a 90 with a kid on it...in 3rd gear of course.
It ran up some tree branches that reached to the ground and stalled.
Coulda been Waaaay worse.

ironchop
07-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Dude I'm trying not to be disrespectful nor dismiss the seriousness of your quandry..........

That being said, that's the goddam funniest thing I have heard all year. Your buddy runs off the side of a straight bunny trail at slomo speeds only to tumble down the rest of it into poison damn ivy thats covered in tick icing. Does your friend resemble Jeff Daniels or Jim Carey? .....cuz this is comedy gold for the casual observer.

Around here, if your buddy insists he did all this at his own house on his own stuff, you should be fine ( as what happened to my next door neighbor over a certain buddy versus my neighbor's KXF450 and two beers). They asked a lot of questions at the hospital, he said, specifically to determine where this occurred. My neighbor was sweating bullets but his buddy had the forsight to see where the conversation was headed and told them he did it at his own home on his dirtbike......has your friend told them where he was, Camino?

badass350x
07-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Dude I'm trying not to be disrespectful nor dismiss the seriousness of your quandry..........

That being said, that's the goddam funniest thing I have heard all year. Your buddy runs off the side of a straight bunny trail at slomo speeds only to tumble down the rest of it into poison damn ivy thats covered in tick icing. Does your friend resemble Jeff Daniels or Jim Carey? .....cuz this is comedy gold for the casual observer.

Around here, if your buddy insists he did.all this at his house on his stuff, you should be fine ( as what happened to my next door neighbor over a certain buddy and my neighbor's KXF450 and two beers)

No disrespect, , but Dam Ironchop you just made it sound funny as hell!! TICK ICING lmfao.

tri again
07-23-2014, 02:19 AM
we had a guy come across 100 feet of FLAT field and run into a fence because he thought it would be better to stop him than the bushes.
If he let off the gas, it would have stopped in 3 feet, and and the brakes DID work.
The barbed wire snapped across his hand (16 stitches)
and then across his face (another 118)
No alcohol involved which makes it even scarier.
No excuse at all.