PDA

View Full Version : need help 03 arctic cat 400 spark issues.

atcpunk107
07-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Thanks to anyone in advance. Well anyway my neighbor has been having issues for awhile it will run great than after anywhere from 15-45 minutes it will quit with no spark. Well now it just won't run. I checked the coil and wire and they checked out fine. However when I checked the voltage going into the coil I get a reading of 172 volts without turning it over. When I turn it over there is no change whatsoever. What could this be. What else can I check. I believe it to be possibly be the cdi but I don't have one to interchange with it. Hoping it could be something cheaper to fix or replace.

atc007
07-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Regulators are garbage on these,and most cats of that era.. Should be a worldwide recall on the junk. It also has almost surely taken out your cdi box. Hopefully it stops there. Find a manual and do it right. but I am 99% sure you're looking for a regulator and a box :(

atcpunk107
07-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Thanks. Also I noticed that the battery will hold around 12 volts dc but also 5 volts ac

atcpunk107
07-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Would anyone know what years will interchange with an 03 arctic cat 400 4x4 manual.

atcpunk107
07-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Well before I had the neighbor spend over 600 in parts I figured I would pull the case off and check the flywheel since they're a common failure and found a problem. Magnets came detached. Luckily they didn't take out the stater as far as I can tell. From now on whenever an arctic cat has spark issues I am pulling the case to check the flywheel. Looks like arctic cat realized it was a problem because they have a new part number for the flywheel hopefully it is a much better glue than the original. By the sounds of my neighbor got lucky woth his lasting so long.