PDA

View Full Version : new to me yamaha dx225, got a couple questions.

wide'n'low
07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I picked up a Yamaha dx225 the other night, for a decent deal.
It started on the second try with the elec start and ran fine, when I picked it up. however the rear tires were shot so I didn't ride it.
Loaded it up in the truck and brought it home.

Yesterday i slapped tires on it to take it for a ride. Now it doesn't want to start... tried choking it, tried opening the air box lid, playing with the throttle. I pulled the air filter to find it was trash and the carb was flooded out.
then while trying to start it, it quit turning over the crank. but I can hear the starter still spin, when hitting the start button.

Its not engaging the flywheel, I removed the pullstart cover(pull start guts in pieces, in a box)to confirm the crank basket not spinning. also I can hear the small relay and heatsink next to the starter silonoid clicking when I hit the start button. I don't think its firing either.
Then randomly it turned over a few times when I'd press the start button quickly or kind of let off and pressed again, now nothing again.
im going to try and pull the starter or get the dog teeth and teeth spring I need for the pull start.

Anybody else have similar issues with the elec start?

Can these atc's be pull or push started?
(I ask because when I put it in first gear to act as a parking brake of sorts. I can feel its in gear and it has resistance, but its still able to be push forward with some force.)

Anyone have input to my situation or info/knowledge on these atcs?

Ghostv2
07-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Put it in neutral, push it up a large hill. Now shift into let's just say 3rd. Now press down slightly without actually downshifting. That acts as neutral. Now get someone to give you a shove and get to speed and let it off and there you have it.

These dx's always have something with the electric start breaking or not working it seems.

wide'n'low
07-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey ghost, long time since ive been on lol. How the 200x doing?
Oh ive push started many many atvs/bikes in my day, was just wondering about this one as its my first shaft drive.

Ah see, I had heard rumors of the electric starts being a pain on these and the timberwolfs. Glad to know its not just me lol.

Ghostv2
07-23-2014, 11:53 AM
I got rid of the 200x a while back and traded it for a big red. But I've got two 225dx's now plus my other bikes. My one the starter clutch went. It didn't have enoug power to fire up. Lots of problems. Luckily the one I actually ride now I have yet to have starter problems. That's the ones that's beefed up. But the engines making other parts wear out faster than I would like lol.

wide'n'low
07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Lol I hear ya, my Curtis sparks engine locked up while a buddy was riding, so I parted my 200x out.
I cant wait to get out on this dx225!

wide'n'low
07-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Yaeger bought either my crazy wide axle or the Curtis sparks exhaust, can't remember which.

DohcBikes
07-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Replacement starters are $35.

wide'n'low
07-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Starter is fine, so are the gears/flywheel. Its the clutches in between that are toast....
Got it started by using a rope around the recoil basket :D. Worlds better than a big red or klt 250, but not as aggressive as a 200-350x. I'll have to get it to that aggressive corner carving stance my 200x had.

Grabbed a new tooth gear and friction spring for the recoil start, local Yamaha dealer got me for $32.00(gear$14-spring$18). Waiting for them to call, saying they are in.

Anybody got a full service manual for the dx225's?