PDA

View Full Version : My TRI-Z Frankenstein! Finally a decent write up...

adamszwheeler
07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Well I have been promising a decent write up about my build so I will give it a shot...paid 500 bucks 6 years ago for an incomplete and very molested 1986 Yamaha TRI-Z. Everything was painted, it had a very poorly done Honda shock on it, no clutch and probably more I have forgotten. I looked past it and saw the 6spd tranny and over all potential the bike had. Well I took it all apart, cleaned some stuff, started making a list of parts and up grades I needed and did what I could when I could. About 2 years in I located a black 85 parts bike...thank god...the 85 was near complete- no motor, axle or carrier, rear rims, headlights or handle bars. A lot of what you see on my bike is 1985. The 86 swinger was broken and shattered beyond repair in numerous locations from someone basically just throwing in that Honda shock so luck was on my side with that parts bike...again I cleaned some stuff up, continued to research and locate parts as I could afford them and finally last year I had the metals blasted and primed and my buddy and I sprayed it black and International Harvester red, I had the plastics wrapped with the skull graphics and started putting it back together. Late winter I finally had the money for the motor and a lot of the other parts I still needed so I sent the motor off to RPJPERFORMANCE and had a total rebuild done including a stage 1 port job along with a new 5spd tranny:(. Gears 1 and 2 were shot! It was the biggest reason I bought this bike!! It was pretty much my luck with the whole build, if it isn't brand new it probably isn't on my Z. I had the seat covered, new rear rims- banshee 9's with matching hubs, 3 new tires, new carb and jets, DG pipe and silencer, basically a brand new motor, all new bearings, totally rebuilt the brakes along with building the rear caliper back with weld and machining and grinding it to look factory, aftermarket bars off an early YZ250, new grips, stainless bolt kit, lower motor bolt stolen off an IT/YZ something we pulled out of a creek, hand made grab bar by yours truly and I am sure I am forgetting some stuff...the stuff I would do different and will eventually do...powder coat! it is my biggest regret, stage 2 or even maybe a power value upgrade...this thing flies but I feel like it could be faster...maybe because I keep looking for 6th gear!!!! Anyway that's about it, if anyone has questions hit me up! Always glad to help, give advice or just BS!!

RIDE-RED 250r
07-23-2014, 08:58 PM
She's really come a long way from the state it was in when you got it... Nice work!

adamszwheeler
07-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Couple more things...banshee shifter heated and bent to fit, again the whole motor was done and basically new including hotrods rod, sleeve, wisco piston, stupid 5spd... I was tuning the carb and between it not starting and fouling plugs and probably just from being old and worn out I cracked the kick start and when I say cracked I mean it almost tore right off!! Trying to think if I am missing anything or if that about covers it...Thanks to E-Man graphics in Niagara Falls New York, RPJPERFORMANCE...google him, only person in Western New York that would do my porting, I had people literally laugh at me!! Others wanted thousands of dollars and said there was no guaranty they wouldn't ruin it!! NO THANKS- terrible EBAY sellers! You should all give up!! Most of this bike is still available from Yamaha!! Don't get fooled by these con artists!! Do some research or at least call your local dealer first!!!

adamszwheeler
07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah thanks!!! Lots of hard work and lots of waiting!! I have 2 kids so anyone with kids knows that family comes first. Luckily their mom was sick of hearing about this thing and finally gave me green light to finish her!!! No vacation this year but I get one every time I take it out!! Don't tell her!!!

badass350x
07-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Awesome job, looks great.

ironchop
07-23-2014, 11:24 PM
I agree nice work. Ive had similar projects where you think you have a good base but after you get done finding everything that needs fixed, it turns out you can't use a damn thing.
The upside is, its almost like having a brand new trick machine and its peace of mind for me knowing I replaced everything that needed it.

smrover1
07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
I totally understand about the kids comment. I have 3 boys and it seems almost impossible for my tri-z to get up and running Great job on the build the only thing that it needs is a front headlight or number plate

adamszwheeler
07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I have a headlight but no bulb plugs/wiring...working on a plate here at work, but its been pretty busy hopefully this weekend or next ill have it on. Thanks again everyone, means a lot...took a long time but it was so worth it.

New2Tri-Z
07-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Nice Z looks great. What kind of porting did you have done? Did you go with the Phase II Mod? Did you try Jason Hall here on the boards? His work is amazing :drool: I know he is a honda guy, but he has build some top ends for Raffa's Z's. Hell of a machinist and really knows his chit! Great looking Z by the way. Let me know if you come up with any other oprtions for the pig tails on the head lights. I have my original ones but wouldnt mind replacing them if there were new ones that could be made to work. Keep up the good work.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-24-2014, 04:57 PM
About your headlight pig tails.... I was given a Tri-Z pigtail to replace a missing pigtail on my 350x. The wire colors were different but it didn't take much to figure out which color should connect where....

So that being said, if you happen to stumble across someone selling 350x headlight pig tails go ahead and scoop them up....they will work

smrover1
07-25-2014, 08:29 AM
I just picked up a tri-z with a smoked top end i will have to look up this phase 2 mod

adamszwheeler
07-25-2014, 12:03 PM
I did a stage 1 with kn air filter in factory location, power reeds, dg pipe and silencer and 36mm mikuni vm. I run 100 or better octane...google yamaha tri-z wrench report, it will give you the whole right up. Should be the first thing that pops up in your search.