PDA

View Full Version : 84 2oos worth fixing?

pikeman
07-24-2014, 04:44 PM
So I have a 84 200s that's not running. Stopped running on me last year while I stopped to talk to someone and could not get it started. Carb got taken apart and cleaned, looked real nice inside. New plug and gas, still won't start. Does has spark, but don't know if it is real good. I know the bike has been used and abused, given to me for free, ran good at the time. I did a compression test on it and got 50, knew it was bad when I got it. Pulled the dipstick one time when it was running and it was like an exhaust pipe out the dipstick hole. So where do I go from here? Should I start throwing electric parts into it to see if thats the problem. Should I rebuild the top end? Don't know if the bike is worth it as it is in real bad shape, but it is a honda and still cool to ride. What would be my cost to rebuild the top end, piston,rings, gasket? Thanks for any advice you can give me. Its either fix it or its going to the scrap yard, don't have room in my garage.

Jason125m
07-24-2014, 05:38 PM
If it truely does have 50 psi compression, that topend will 100 percent have to be rebuilt for it to run.

hoosierlogger
07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
You will have $300 in it if you rebuild the top end. Give us a couple of pictures. If it is as bad as you say, I would personally part it out.

pikeman
07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
I did my compression test wrong, redid it and got 145 after several pulls and throttle wide open. Held spark plug in my hand and pulled over and only got a little tingle. So its on to figure out which part is causing low spark. Thanks to Jason125m for the help so far.

hoosierlogger
07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
If t has 145 lb compression then it is definitely worth fixing. I'd start by downloading the free service manual and checking the stator, coil, and other electrical components.

tvpierce
07-25-2014, 07:20 AM
First thing I'd do is check/clean all the connections in the ignition system -- especially the grounds. Trim the ends of the high tension wire so you know you have good connections.

Both are free and easy.

350for350
07-27-2014, 08:24 PM
When you ask if something's worth rebuilding, the real question is "is it worth it to you"? It sounds like there's some sentimental attachment so it would probably be worth it even if you had to do a top end.

3wheelers
07-29-2014, 02:23 AM
If it's junk and won't sell for more than $200 running, I wouldn't put the money into it. I would just part it out, or sell it whole, and get a new one. It's up to you. If you really like it and think it's worth the money, then fix it up and get it going again.

pikeman
09-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Update on 200s with weak spark. I picked up a primary stator coil off of ebay for 17 bucks. Took off old one, put on new one and it fired right up. So bike is running great and hope to get a few more years use out of it. Thanks to everyone for the tips on what to do to get it fixed.

86125m
09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
yea those old 200 motors are basically bullet proof. but the stator coils do like to go out, granted they are 30 years old.

350for350
09-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Good. I guess that was a cheap enough fix. It seems like it was worth it to fix it after all.