PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda Big Red 200ES questions from a new member!

biglsells
07-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi all, new member and glad I found this site, I live forums.

Brother gave me a 1984 big red 200es trike, it's in really nice condition he just never touched it and it was not really running well. After cleaning the carb a few times I was just not able to get it to run, it's plugged somewhere and I was having no luck. Not my first go with a carb so not sure what was wrong with it, had it totally disassembled.

Anyway, bought a zoom zoom carb for $23 on ebay. Strapped it on and the bike fired right up. Adjusted the mixture screw to a 1 7/8 turns out and it purrs nicely however here is the issue I have. The bike will rev up if I slowly apply throttle and I can drive it around fine like this however if I punch the gas, it dies, whether I am in gear or in neutral and just giving it a rev, kills it. If I pull the choke out, it will rev fine without dying. This is a brand new carb for this specific bike, any ideas what could be the problem? I've dropped the clip to the very bottom position on the needle and it made no difference at all (there were 5 spots to put it, it came in the middle on #3).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

UFLBret
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
It may be starved for air. How is the condition of the gas cap? Mine was plugged and wasn't venting the tank. I would ride it and it would run for a couple minutes and then just die out of nowhere and I couldn't restart it unless I pulled the choke. I ended up finding a vid on youtube on how do disassbemle the gas cap to clean it and get the vent holes opened up. Runs like a champ now.

biglsells
07-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Well I have run it with the cap off and get no difference in how it runs so I am truly stumped now. Just not sure what to do.

cap
07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
try running with the airbox cover off.

tvpierce
07-26-2014, 05:40 AM
When you apply the choke, you're richening the mixture. Since that makes the engine run better, it indicates that it's normally running too lean.

Lowering the needle LEANS the mixure. You should try raising the needle -- that will richen the mixure.

biglsells
07-27-2014, 05:03 PM
When you apply the choke, you're richening the mixture. Since that makes the engine run better, it indicates that it's normally running too lean.

Lowering the needle LEANS the mixure. You should try raising the needle -- that will richen the mixure.

Raised the needle, run's like a champ now, thanks everyone!