PDA

View Full Version : Will florescent bulbs just explode?

sledcrazyinCT
07-27-2014, 09:22 AM
I found three bulbs broken when I arrived to my shop last Friday. Never seen this happen before? They are 4 foot T12 bulbs fixtures and bulbs are less then a year old.

hoosierlogger
07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
That sounds odd. I have never had any of them explode unless something hit them.

sledcrazyinCT
07-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Sounds odd to me as well. The unfortunate thing is I allow a few close friends to use my shop and three of them have been there since I was there last. I asked two of them about this and they claim no knowledge? It sure looks like someone walked by with a board, piece of steel tubing, something that would clip three of them in a group. Each light still has one end of the bulb stuck in the fixture.

Thanks for your reply I hope to hear some more

shortline10
07-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Is their a ham radio operator that lives close to your shop or some other device that produces a lot of RF ?
Were the lights left on ?

tri again
07-27-2014, 01:51 PM
power surge from compressor kicking on and off or stuck on? Same circuit?
bad ground?
funky / dangerous ballast ?
I'd check voltage to outlet / power source and see if it's 60 cycles.

Too many fire stories lately.
Of course, my shovels and other things break all by themselves.

Red Rider
07-27-2014, 02:00 PM
I once saw one explode in a grocery store, but the chocolate milk dud that was thrown at it may have had something to do with it. :wondering

Dirtcrasher
07-28-2014, 02:45 PM
I had a bag of lettuce explode on me once; I looked like SWAMP THING with green produce all over my face and head. It was nasty!!

And don't let those pineapples get to you!!

New2Tri-Z
07-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Just about 2 months ago my wife and three kids were sitting at Denny's Having breakfast and the light bulb above us in the hanging light fixture exploded all over us and our food. Thank ggodness no one was hurt and of course they comped our meal and sent us on our way with lots of goodies. It flashed dim right before it exploded. Pretty crazy actually. Not sure if it was a filiment bulb or one of the CFL. I have never seen a flourescent explode but if left on anything is possible...