PDA

View Full Version : Atc 70 not starting

Kamikaze250R
07-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I picked up an 84 atc 70 off of Craigslist this past weekend. I have checked and made sure it's getting spark and gas. I pulled the carb off, cleaned the jets and bolted it back on. Pulled the plug out layed it on the head and pulled the pull start. I have also adjusted the carb according to the manual. Sounds like it wants to start and seems to have good compression.

3wheelers
07-29-2014, 02:20 AM
Does it have spark? You said you. Checked it but didn't say if it has spark or not. If it does have spark, it's probably a gas problem. You said you cleaned the carb? The carb should be working fine now if you put everything together right. Turn your overflow screw on your carb. (On the right hand side of the carb) loosen it up a bit and watch the overflow. It should make gas come out. If nothing comes out, there's no gas in the carb, or you have some holes clogged. But if you cleaned it, all your holes should be clear. If nothing comes out, check your petcock to make sure gas flows through it. If it doesn't, clean that thing out, then check your gasline. If nothing comes out of those, check your tank and get gas flowing there. If everything is flowing fine and your carb is filling with gas, then tae your spark plug out and pull the pull cord and smell by the spark plug hole, you should smell gas. If you do smell gas, then your getting gas. If your spark works and you have gas, then you probably have bigger problems. Compression, valves. Your gonna need to rebuild or get a new engine. Hope this helped!

coolpool
07-29-2014, 08:53 AM
You may have to pull the flywheel and check the key. It may be partially stripped throwing of the timing. Get a proper flywheel puller and check it out. It will be a good time to look at and clean the points too. You should check your valve adjustments and get a real number for compression with a tester.

Kamikaze250R
07-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes I grounded the spark plug and pull the pull start and it is sparking fine. I've checked the carb bowl for gas and there is gas indeed I also took off the air filter assembly and choke the carb manually with my hand over it. Gas was in the palm of my hand after pulling the rope. I'm hoping the valves need to be adjusted or the timing is off a tooth or so. Compression tester is on the to buy list. Thanks fella's!

YTZ drew
08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Check the valves, easy to do and fast. If either one is tight (no play @ TDC) there's your first issue. Also, the 70's are super sensitive to point gap adjustment, it affects the timing big time!