PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Panhandle Trip, 85R

badandy
07-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Howdy guys... Have a couple weeks up here to abuse myself, and day one proved it. I picked up an 85R specifically to joyride these mountain trails... so far so good. I found myself on a 4x4 quad trail yesterday, maybe 1.5mi long, felt like about 5, had to stop twice to get to the top... holy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro did I get my ass kicked. The R was NOT the right tool for the job, but once committed, I kept going... In first gear I was able to lug that beast across this rocky trail, rutted, rocks big like melons, fallen trees, stumps, ruts, off camber, and steeper than I was comfortable with... I was truly Impressed how the R lugged all the way up that hill, and with me keeping as much of my weight as far forward as I could over this ridiculous terrain, had i looped this thing over, I would likely spent the better part of my trip, just extracting the pieces off the mountain, I was amazed at how well the bike performed on something sooo far from its intended use.
Unfortunately, I failed to grab my Go Pro, and didn't even get pics of this first run, but will likely do it again, just to get pics....

Here's one w/the desert tank installed... Plasti-dip turned out to be a horshit tank coating, but Ill worry about cleanup when I get home. My tires took a real beating on those sharp ass rocks, I literally have large chunks of knobby missing.197916197916

Crazyktmmatt
07-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Where at exactly? That way I can go ride em too someday when I get my br put together.

badandy
07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Starting points are several places around Pinehurst and smelterville. North and south sides of the 90. This particular trail starts off the Kingston exit, about 2mi, then a rt onto beer creek rd. Run that about 2.5mi out, then your into the mountain roads. Our Peak was an old fire lookout. We went back the way we came, but there we're 3ways back down... The trails are endless!

Crazyktmmatt
07-29-2014, 10:25 PM
I havent been back that way for the atv trails. Just done cabin fever is all with the truck a few times.

Im over in coeur d alene basicallly